Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: So, seriously, Toady, where did you go!  (Read 18136 times)

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, seriously, Toady, where did you go!
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 10:02:31 am »

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 12:11:38 pm »

So donate, dammit!
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 05:39:49 pm »

That's on my list of things to spend money on when I get a job.

I'm looking, but haven't had much luck yet. v_v
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 07:22:49 pm »

I'm still here.  I just haven't done anything talkaboutable recently.  Boring save compat/entity position code stuff that doesn't have much discussable appeal, and yeah, coupled with a few annoyances here and there unB12ish, I've been unusually quiet.  I'm planning on catching up on internet matters today, though I have 52 emails and 3 1/2 pages of bug reports and 5 pages of suggestions and a bunch of story and crayon rewards from who knows how long ago, so I imagine I'll just be whittling away at it only to fall behind again.  The computer move disrupted that a bit, not in a technical fashion, but just routine-wise.  The new computer itself is working great and the transition was fine.  I've been busy on the month-end project the last few days.

But yeah, because of the save compat changes and the things I'd like to bite off because of them, the next release likely won't be in October, but unlike the last wait, there will be dwarf mode changes this time -- at the bare minimum, being able to order around and organize your squads better, having them keep their positions and probably designate responses to specific threats (aka kill that rampaging hippo now!) and having more stuff to mess around with underground.  I guess the later will also impact adv mode.  I'm considering some of the training changes at this time as well, though I haven't yet made decisions on what additions there are best for the game.  I'm aware of the various threads on it.  I might also do the wound changes depending on how save compatish I evaluate that to be when I think about it more, and if that goes in it'll mean the phantom limb problems go away, which would be good.  Still, there's a bit more drudgery to slog through on position rewrites.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 07:26:02 pm »

I've heard of this mysterious "month-end project" in several places, but I have no idea what it is. Are you keeping it a secret, Today, or is it just so well-known that no one bothers to mention what it is?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 07:40:15 pm »

I'm not sure if I'm going to release, so I didn't want to create any hype or expectations (though I guess having a de facto "secret project" still does that to some extent).  At the same time, I didn't want people to think I'd dropped off the planet at the end of the month (something I failed to do this month, he he he).  So very few people know what I'm working on.  If it looks like things are coming together, I'll post more about it.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ChJees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 07:41:19 pm »

ToadyOne, don't you ever take a break from developing Dwarf Fortress :P?

You have a lot(Understatement) more will to create a awesome game than me :3. (Or any else for that matter)

Oh, take your time to make Dwarf Fortress awesome :).

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 10:24:09 pm »

ChJees, he spends every month end on the  Sinister Secret Project (what is he building in there?). So yes, he takes regular breaks from developing D.F.
Less regular breaks from coding entirely though.

Spelguru

• Bay Watcher
  • Rabid Swedish Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2008, 07:30:55 am »

Psssst, you didn't hear this from me, but I have heard that he's working with W.Wright and Armagan (of M&B) to create a high graphics version that combines the creativity sections of Spore, the combat from Mount & Blade and the awesome gameplay of Dwarf Fortress, creating the ultimate game! Just imagine riding on your half-nightmare horse swinging an obsidian twohanded sword down the sides to cut down unfortunate enemies and missing all the time because them damn dorfs are just too short!

*cough*
Though I may be making this up.
Got Ninja?
Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz, Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz... WAAAAAGH!
NHP (Non human pact. Copy and paste if you are going to destroy all human-like creatures in spore.)

ChJees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2008, 08:43:36 am »

*cough*

I hope you not ;p.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2008, 09:34:23 am »

I'm still here.  I just haven't done anything talkaboutable recently.  Boring save compat/entity position code stuff that doesn't have much discussable appeal, and yeah, coupled with a few annoyances here and there unB12ish, I've been unusually quiet.  I'm planning on catching up on internet matters today, though I have 52 emails and 3 1/2 pages of bug reports and 5 pages of suggestions and a bunch of story and crayon rewards from who knows how long ago, so I imagine I'll just be whittling away at it only to fall behind again.  The computer move disrupted that a bit, not in a technical fashion, but just routine-wise.  The new computer itself is working great and the transition was fine.  I've been busy on the month-end project the last few days.

But yeah, because of the save compat changes and the things I'd like to bite off because of them, the next release likely won't be in October, but unlike the last wait, there will be dwarf mode changes this time -- at the bare minimum, being able to order around and organize your squads better, having them keep their positions and probably designate responses to specific threats (aka kill that rampaging hippo now!) and having more stuff to mess around with underground.  I guess the later will also impact adv mode.  I'm considering some of the training changes at this time as well, though I haven't yet made decisions on what additions there are best for the game.  I'm aware of the various threads on it.  I might also do the wound changes depending on how save compatish I evaluate that to be when I think about it more, and if that goes in it'll mean the phantom limb problems go away, which would be good.  Still, there's a bit more drudgery to slog through on position rewrites.

Yeah, as I thought, if you are working on CORE compoments, you are always very quiet, Ive noticed it, but its understandable to be honest.  :)
...as for the month-end project, I think that you should spend more days with relaxing and stuff, instead of working on it after the DF coding cycles, or you will burn out. However if you enjoy coding that much, just ignore my suggestion.  ;)
..and yeah I think its time to donate again.  8)

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2008, 11:27:40 am »

Psssst, you didn't hear this from me, but I have heard that he's working with W.Wright and Armagan (of M&B) to create a high graphics version that combines the creativity sections of Spore, the combat from Mount & Blade and the awesome gameplay of Dwarf Fortress, creating the ultimate game! Just imagine riding on your half-nightmare horse swinging an obsidian twohanded sword down the sides to cut down unfortunate enemies and missing all the time because them damn dorfs are just too short!

*cough*

Cool. Soon I can take carp on horseback flying around the galaxy obliterating all life as we know it. Then I'll need to reformat and reinstall a couple of times and I'll end up with a coffee coaster :(

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2008, 03:03:50 pm »

Yeah, as I thought, if you are working on CORE compoments, you are always very quiet, Ive noticed it, but its understandable to be honest.  :)
If this holds true, we won't be seeing Toady for a long while, considering the increase of core components to 100 and the things that were promoted to Core Components. Everything (except eggs and feathers) is a part of the Core in Future of the Fortress.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2008, 03:17:53 pm »

If this holds true, we won't be seeing Toady for a long while, considering the increase of core components to 100 and the things that were promoted to Core Components. Everything (except eggs and feathers) is a part of the Core in Future of the Fortress.

Well, Im around for quite a long time now, and Ive noticed it at least.  :)
Toady is much more active when he is fixing bugs/implementing small things -> suggestions.
..to be honest I dont see any problems with this. He should spend most of his time with coding when he feels like so, and obviously coding in basic core compoments takes a lot of time.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2008, 09:30:24 am »

How does Toady support himself?
With his powerful toady legs.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7