Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: So, seriously, Toady, where did you go!  (Read 18004 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: So, seriously, Toady, where did you go!
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2008, 07:07:38 am »

I'm still here.  I just haven't done anything talkaboutable recently.  Boring save compat/entity position code stuff that doesn't have much discussable appeal, and yeah, coupled with a few annoyances here and there unB12ish, I've been unusually quiet.  I'm planning on catching up on internet matters today, though I have 52 emails and 3 1/2 pages of bug reports and 5 pages of suggestions and a bunch of story and crayon rewards from who knows how long ago, so I imagine I'll just be whittling away at it only to fall behind again.  The computer move disrupted that a bit, not in a technical fashion, but just routine-wise.  The new computer itself is working great and the transition was fine.  I've been busy on the month-end project the last few days.

Yet another argument for getting some help with the game instead of doing it all yourself. How long before you burnout, Toady? How long before the bugs list just turns from a hill into a mountain into a volcano that you just want to hurl yourself into instead of climb? Or how long before you start thinking of this as a job instead of something you enjoy, and start getting bitter about it? God knows I've done enough projects where those have all happened.

Toady is coding and designing each and every part of the game, so basically its kinda impossible to let someone else to work on the game in the same time. This is an indie game. Companies are hiring coders and telling them that what to do exactly, but that just wouldn't work in our case. In fact I think that it would just cause problems for Toady...but I must say, that I am really amazed that Toady is doing all this stuff alone. I surely couldn't do it even if I would be an awesome coder...this is what I call dedication.  8)

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2008, 03:55:54 pm »

Quote from: [b
Sareth[/b]]Speaking of Toady disappearing, If he died horribly what would happen to the game? Would three toad release the source code/all the development, or would this game be lost to the sands of time?
tasteless much?

Actually, it's a valid (if off-topic) question and point to consider. A comment on how Toady and Three toe feel about the matter would be nice. But really it's for another thread.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2008, 04:02:46 pm »

haha!, Id keep that a secret if I were you ;) next thing you know you got assasins on ure ass!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2008, 04:15:17 pm »

I'm sure he's talked about it to at least his brother if nobody else. I would assume he'd release what was done so far...it's what I'd do.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2008, 07:49:14 am »

Yeah, we've mentioned my untimely demise before, most recently because this town has lots of drunks and meth and some of the stupidest ass people that yell at you from vehicles as you might ever encounter (despite warnings from well-meaning people with misgivings about Texas, nothing ever happened down there, whereas up here in Silverdale I've been yelled at or had crap thrown at me or whatever no fewer than fifteen times while shopping, etc., even though I walked more down there), and the idea was to release everything.  I should amend that though -- if there are suspicions of foul play, and the preponderance of the evidence suggests that the death was related to getting the source released, then, well, no source then.  Yes, you will be punished for the wrongdoings of others, so pray for my safety!  No killing for the source!

Having somebody help out with the coding is the fastest way to make me feel like I'm working a bad job.  I'm still holding up pretty well mentally (my own opinion, anyway, he he he), though there are certainly things I don't like about the setup (none of them new, things like forum squabbles or irritating-to-reply-to emails, that sort of thing).  I think my worst days just come from not drinking water in the mornings or something.  I'm about half as good at taking care of myself as I was when I had the math job, and even then I wasn't impressive.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2008, 08:15:40 am »

That's why you should get a few of us to help out with everything that's not coding.  Cleaning up around the house, going out shopping, resetting the traps after too many garden gnomes get stuck in them etc.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2008, 08:18:54 am »

You should probably make some people moderators so you don't have to worry about the forum as much. Yes, that's me taking advantage of a situation.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2008, 08:41:32 am »

Yeah, we've mentioned my untimely demise before, most recently because this town has lots of drunks and meth and some of the stupidest ass people that yell at you from vehicles as you might ever encounter (despite warnings from well-meaning people with misgivings about Texas, nothing ever happened down there, whereas up here in Silverdale I've been yelled at or had crap thrown at me or whatever no fewer than fifteen times while shopping, etc., even though I walked more down there),

wow, now that must be some weird town!  :o
Here in Hungary this mentality is non existant thankfully. People here are not very tolerant with these kind of freaks.  ;D

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2008, 08:54:09 am »

If the unthinkable were to happen and Toady was no longer with us I bet Dwarf Fortress would stop generating random worlds and start generating random text. Later these texts would be collected and known as the Gospel of Toady..

An excerpt from Toady 2:12

A weeping child lay slumped over his keyboard. Toady one put a hand on his shoulder and asked him, "why do you cry, child?" The boy continued to weep, and said "It's the carp, they have killed all of my dwarves." Toady looked upon him compassionately and said unto him "Ah, but you must learn, my son. Losing is fun."
This lesson of wisdom served the boy well. Later in his life he lost an eye in a terrible miming accident, but he just smiled, because he was having fun

...sorry... I should get more sleep   ???

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2008, 09:01:25 am »

I am personally glad to hear that Toady actually doesn't mind playing "Catchup" when it comes to suggestions and Bugs. (I am also suprised he doesn't do any "Slate Cleaning" when he gets rather behind "Suggestions? What suggestions?")

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2008, 09:16:00 am »

I am personally glad to hear that Toady actually doesn't mind playing "Catchup" when it comes to suggestions and Bugs. (I am also suprised he doesn't do any "Slate Cleaning" when he gets rather behind "Suggestions? What suggestions?")

I would say, that his tolerance is extraodinary.  :D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2008, 09:28:12 am »

Id love to ask him, and actually get an answer, of what was the absolute worst suggestion he ever got, or at least worst reaction to a suggestion on his part, (and the best) from the community

However then I realise that it very well could alienate the community at large... so it is better off unsaid

FunnyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2008, 09:50:12 am »

Having somebody help out with the coding is the fastest way to make me feel like I'm working a bad job.  I'm still holding up pretty well mentally (my own opinion, anyway, he he he), though there are certainly things I don't like about the setup (none of them new, things like forum squabbles or irritating-to-reply-to emails, that sort of thing).  I think my worst days just come from not drinking water in the mornings or something.  I'm about half as good at taking care of myself as I was when I had the math job, and even then I wasn't impressive.

As a programmer, let me just say this:  You're doing an awesome job.  Seriously, I am eternally impressed by how well you slog through the unpleasant tasks and somehow keep going, week after week, month after month.

I'll admit, when I'm running a fortress and it gets down to ~10 FPS, I really wish I could look under the hood and tweak this thing so it ran faster.  And I think there are probably a few people out here (I'd like to think I'm one of them) who could help you with the things you're not good at without cramping your style.  But whatever you're doing seems to be working, and I wouldn't want to put that in jeopardy.  As long as you can keep at it, you don't really need anyone else.
Beta Tester's Motto: Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

azaydius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2008, 10:32:34 am »

Yeah, we've mentioned my untimely demise before, most recently because this town has lots of drunks and meth and some of the stupidest ass people that yell at you from vehicles as you might ever encounter (despite warnings from well-meaning people with misgivings about Texas, nothing ever happened down there, whereas up here in Silverdale I've been yelled at or had crap thrown at me or whatever no fewer than fifteen times while shopping, etc., even though I walked more down there), and the idea was to release everything.  I should amend that though -- if there are suspicions of foul play, and the preponderance of the evidence suggests that the death was related to getting the source released, then, well, no source then.  Yes, you will be punished for the wrongdoings of others, so pray for my safety!  No killing for the source!

I have a solution, take this girl I know (who lives in Silverdale) out to dinner and perhaps you will be rewarded with some 'stress relieving activity!'  She really is very friendly and even has a masters degree! ;)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2008, 10:35:14 am »

Azaydius I think you should have put it in the suggestion boards (Joke)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7