Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Gender Differentiation  (Read 20893 times)

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gender Differentiation
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2008, 10:57:10 am »

Dwarven women care for their babies

Heh. Mine sure don't.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2008, 01:22:20 pm »

"Now isn't this great, widdle Coggy?"
"Goo-goo?"
"See all the Goblins shooting at us?  Isn't that sooooo cute?"
"Gaa-g...cth...." *hit by arrow*
"Awww, that's so adorable!  I have to tell my friends about just how cute you are!"
"..." *bleeds to death*
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Zwergner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2008, 01:53:24 pm »

When I imagine Dwarfs in DF, I always imagine that it's impossible to tell males and females apart (from a human perspective at least, I sure dwarfs can tell).  Like baby alligators and chickens, you have to have them sexed (i.e. stick your finger in their ass) to be sure what gender they are.

The only idea I really like is maybe more gendered names, so that if someone WANTS gender roles, it's easier to implement them.  As far as different stats and behavior, I think that it's a bad idea for vanilla, but go nuts you crazy modders.
Dwarf Transplant updating utility

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2008, 02:33:49 pm »

some versions give female dwarves beards, and having dwarf genders have essentially the same strength isn't really a problem compared to that), randomness to that extent can be a bad thing.
So give female dwarves the [beard] tag, s'no big deal...  Nobody has said that the differences have to/should be the same as humans. 
Sure, but why are you beating in the open door and telling me this? You're quoting the wrong person.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2008, 03:07:03 pm »

The only idea I really like is maybe more gendered names, so that if someone WANTS gender roles, it's easier to implement them.

Yeah, this seems to be the one point pretty much everyone agrees on.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2008, 03:08:33 pm »

some versions give female dwarves beards, and having dwarf genders have essentially the same strength isn't really a problem compared to that), randomness to that extent can be a bad thing.
So give female dwarves the [beard] tag, s'no big deal...  Nobody has said that the differences have to/should be the same as humans. 
Sure, but why are you beating in the open door and telling me this? You're quoting the wrong person.

Sorry, bad quote, I guess it was something Aquillon said.  It was a messy quote structure...

Anyway, I care less about dwarves than I do about the missing raw tags.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2008, 07:23:52 am »

When I imagine Dwarfs in DF, I always imagine that it's impossible to tell males and females apart (from a human perspective at least, I sure dwarfs can tell).  Like baby alligators and chickens, you have to have them sexed (i.e. stick your finger in their ass) to be sure what gender they are.

The only idea I really like is maybe more gendered names, so that if someone WANTS gender roles, it's easier to implement them.  As far as different stats and behavior, I think that it's a bad idea for vanilla, but go nuts you crazy modders.

Ugh, Why do I have an image in my head of you actually doing that for a living... CURSE YOU IMAGINATION!!!

Anyhow as for MAle and Female versions of names as well as Male and Female only names including Gender Neutral names... I wonder if it will make THAT much of a difference?

Male: Ugbista
Female: Agdistra

Ohh well it is flavor... Go AGDISTRA!!! USE BABY BOOM ATTACK!!!

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2008, 07:35:16 am »

Ugh, Why do I have an image in my head of you actually doing that for a living... CURSE YOU IMAGINATION!!!

Anyhow as for MAle and Female versions of names as well as Male and Female only names including Gender Neutral names... I wonder if it will make THAT much of a difference?

Use Arabic styles.

Or general semitic.

It will relieve Toady from many hours of stress.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2008, 09:02:54 am »

Use Arabic styles.

Or general semitic.

It will relieve Toady from many hours of stress.

What?

The truly generic way would be to have a [gender:1:Male:Names] list and a [gender:2:Female:Names] list.  Would easily support more than two genders (especially if you treated hive animals as trinary and wanted the queens to have special names), could be expanded to support child vs. adult names. 

As for the work of splitting them, just divide the list in half.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2008, 10:48:26 am »

I'm all in favor of gender differentiation. Especially in the raws. And, regardless of what rules we want to put in place for dwarves, the humans of this world should follow the same rules as us. I don't want to imagine human women with beards. Ugg. And, anyway, the stats stuff for humans should also make sense (women should have better social stats, if those get put in). As should gender roles. I shouldn't see too many female human caravan guards, for example.

Actually, I'd love to see some randomization with how the different human civs treat women. In some, they should be nearly slaves, in others, we could have a matriarchy. The fun thing about humans in games like this is we can make them REALLY random, because of all the differences in real life and various fantasy stories. Imagine a band of human women and their children fleeing form an oppressive culture to your fortress because they hear that dwarven women are treated as equals?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 03:18:00 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2008, 11:15:51 am »

Imagine a band of human women and their children fleeing form an oppressive culture to your fortress because they hear that dwarven women are treated as equals?
Who the hell would want to live as an equal to a dwarf?
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2008, 11:32:57 am »

gnomes

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2008, 01:15:45 pm »

Okay, I couldn't be bothered to read most of this thread. And I still want to voice my own opinions. Whatever.

Anyways, this could be cool if properly extended in the proper dwarf fortress fashion of unnecessary complexity. Rather than just apply current western gender roles into dwarves, give each culture their own. Matriarchal amazon civs. Ancient Greece-style with women as property and pederasty. Polygamy, monogamy, agamy, everything. And it could affect diplomacy in diverse ways, in the same way gods do.

I expect race would have something to do what kind of system the civ would be prone to adopt. It's easier to preach gender equality if the genders actually are mostly equal.

Which brings me neatly to my next point, physical differences. I think dwarves should probably be exempt. In most fantasy portrayals (most of which are at least partially ripped off from Tolkien) dwarf females are mostly identical to males. Short with long beards.

As for the other fantastic races, I'm not quite as sure. Elves are usually inherently superior to everyone else in every way (They are! just ask them!), but how that would affect gender roles is beyond me. And I have no idea how goblins and kobolds would work.

And I don't think we should go crazy limiting humans either. I guess men are statistically a bit stronger than women, but only statistically. That doesn't meant that all men would be stronger than all women, or that a randomly chosen man would be stronger than a randomly chosen woman. Especially since the current stat system (and most proposals for future stat systems I have seen) is a bit limited for that. And then there's the whole sexism=bad thingy.

Maybe let culture pick applicaple professions for each sex, and let professions give modifiers to default stats. Farmers and blacksmiths generally have to be strong, whereas prostitutes and nobles don't.

Also, culture specific names, with possible further segregation between genders and social classes.

Also, also, culture specific clothing. And architecture. And everything.

(edit)
And the animal people would follow their own messed-up rules. Hermaphodite snailmen (visualize THAT!). And as for antmen, I think I'll just link the relevant section of the wikipedia article and leave it at that.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 01:41:30 pm by Soadreqm »

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2008, 02:57:56 pm »

BOLDFACE
You know, when you bold your entire post except for the first sentence, it sort of loses its attention-grabbing poignancy.

Okay, I couldn't be bothered to read most of this thread. And I still want to voice my own opinions. Whatever.
That's ok, I didn't bother reading your post either.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2008, 03:18:34 pm »

BOLDFACE
You know, when you bold your entire post except for the first sentence, it sort of loses its attention-grabbing poignancy.

Oops. Ok, fixed. I was missing a close tag somehow.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13