Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49

Author Topic: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions  (Read 130529 times)

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Combined project - The world of traps and attractions
« on: September 26, 2008, 04:33:52 pm »

Well, how is the Adventure Mode going? Pretty well, I guess, but aren't you missing some variety in the world? Something to see, to explore, to loot?
If you can answer this question with "Yes", I would like you to do something about it!
What is the plan?
The plan is as following: I'm searching for some people who could make a fortress, a ruin, a cave or something interesting entirely for Adventure Mode. What's the fun in a fortress full of traps if you know how to avoid them?
First, we'd need a world. I don't know much about world generation, but we would need a world with a whole lot of interesting features, such as chasms, magma, HFS and high mountains. It should be a rather small world.
Then, when some of you volunteered for it, the save would be passed from player to player in order to enrich the world. You can use traps, magma, things that look nice, whatever you like, but your fortress shoudn't have dwarves in it. It's not completely necessary, but a ruin with 100 dorfs doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Someone interested in it?
BTW: Cheating is completely acceptable in this project. You can (and should) use smelter reactions to get the stuff you want to use. You can edit your dwarves so that they don't need to eat, to drink, to sleep, whatever you like. But set it back to normal when you're done!
Edit:
Sign-up list:
Qloos (skipped)
Yougiedeggs (done)
Neoskel (skipped)
Spoggerific (done)
Cheetar (skipped)
Sareth (skipped)
Boksi (skipped)
inaluct (skipped)
Duke 2.0 (skipped)
Foa (skipped)
jplur (done)
Qloos (done)
Warlord255 (skipped)
Tibbles (skipped)
Hoborobo234 (skipped)
MagicJuggler (skipped)
Barbarossa the Seal God (skipped)
xpCynic (done)
Kishmond (done)
Cheshire Cat (skipped)
Skid (done)
Sensei (done)
Grimlocke (current)

<Save Removed>

Please only embark at a site with special features (such as magma) if your plan really revolves around using this magma. Otherwise, there may be no magma for someone who really needs it later on.

IMPORTANT! Traps do not work in Adventure Mode!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 11:51:07 pm by MC Dirty »

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Combined project - The world of traps and death
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 06:10:57 pm »

xyrcu
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 05:52:40 pm by Qloos »

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 06:55:23 pm »

I'm very interested in helping, but we need to discuss how. I'm still not very skilled in fortress mode yet, and can't make anything too interesting.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 07:52:11 pm »

I've made some little chambers on the sides of chasms before that connect all the caves and cave bridges. Those fill up with critters quite nicely (a little too well). Just be sure not to kill the last one before leaving and coming back or it'll be completely abandoned.

I did it to make a *bronze two-handed sword* for a bronze colossus adventurer (used humans instead of dwarves). Worked pretty well and i was able do it in one season. I was able to remove all evidence except for the humans who stayed behind when i abandoned.

I like the idea and wouldn't mind making a few adventuring hotspots.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 07:54:28 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 08:36:28 pm »

A treasure room with a few levers. One of them permanently seals off the treasure, another floods the fortress with magma/water, another traps the adventurer, and one lets down the bridge to the lead bin filled with adamantine and steel goodies. Remember, objects in a bin stay together, and the heavier a bin is, the less it moves upon fortress abandon. My heavy bins with bars or armor/weapons in them never seem to move upon an abandon and subsequent visit in adventurer mode.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 08:39:00 pm »

I'm interested in making some towers, although I probably won't be too good at it.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 08:40:57 pm »

What size should the world be?

Personally, I think it should be small enough that you could easily find different fortresses or dungeons, but yet large enough to have enough interesting fortress locations and at least one of every civ.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 08:55:56 pm »

I'd say just go with medium size, with the number of caves and cave size jacked up.

We're going to be making most of the points of interest ourselves, so just look for ruins.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 08:58:45 pm »

Playing with traps set to on in init: yes/no? If so, absolutely no cage traps should be left up before your death/abandonment. The other varieties could be used, but sparingly.

I've never been able to abandon/lose a fortress and then have any amount of monsters left inside it when I came back. Is there some trick to this, or was I just having bad luck?

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 07:54:48 am »

So the idea here is you just pass a save around until it collects tons of ruins of player forts? It's a cool idea, but you'll lose all the named goblins and megabeasts in the process.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 08:43:41 am »

Not necessarily.  You can turn off invasions in the init file to keep the baddies a safe distance from your fort.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 08:53:00 am »

Not to mention a lot of these will be pure dungeon design, with bare minimal in fortress. At best two years to make a sufficient dungeon and loot smelted from things you bring with you.

Perhaps when we throw the save around, have there be one unnamed reaction in the raw's? Thus if we want to make say, a golden room, we don't need to go through all the measures of getting so much gold manually. Then the next person can change it to whatever they want. Bronze will be much easier with such a thing. This is dungeon design, made for adventurers. Not for impressive non-cheaty forts.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sareth

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the lever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 10:29:42 am »

I'd like to help. I'm transforming my fort into an adventurerish fort for a new community story i'm writing. (People read and vote on what to do, determine if you live or die.), but once im done, ill do it.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 10:39:22 am »

Wow, I really like your ideas! But first things first, we need a world. I don't know much about world genning, could someone make an "interesting" (read: dangerous) world?
Awesome idea about the smelter reaction. Two or three reactions for stuff made from thin air should be enough. Imagine a giant crystal glass tower. Holy freaking shit!
I don't have a PC right now, but later I will create a list of people who want to contribute.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 12:09:30 pm »

Awesome idea; I'll try and gen up something ridiculous for this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49