Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noob Trading Issues  (Read 2374 times)

Garm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Noob Trading Issues
« on: February 25, 2010, 07:11:04 pm »

I've played fortress mode on and off for a while but I've just given Adventure mode a go and it's much more awesome than I had expected.  I'm having a bit of trouble selling stuff though.  I'm also a bit unsure of whether I need to bother. 

As I type this I am doubting how my first trade went down but I had thought that I sold some wolf corpses and received coins in return.  I am at a town with the same currency (the coins in the chest have the same name as the ones I have) but am unable to buy a new weapon.  It doesn't matter if I offer all the wolves I have and the ~450 of currency.  Is it just that they are trying to charge me a hideous mark up on the item or do they not accept corpses?  Did the first place only accept them because I sold some other item I don't remember having along with them?

The other thing is - once I get a basic backup weapon is there any point trading?  I lost my spear early on fighting off an ambush with a wolf pack (I burnt some trees to spread them out - worked awesomely) and so would like something else to swap to if/when that happens again.  Can I make any  secondary goods like in fortress mode?  I'm sure turning a wolf into leather would make it far more attractive but I havent found any indication that that is possible. 

If I can't sell hunted animals then I guess I'll just throw them at things and use rocks/roaches/bugs/vomit instead as they weigh far less. 

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
Re: Noob Trading Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 07:47:28 pm »

Corpses and bones have no value.  However the silt and small quartzite rocks do have value 1-3☼ each I think.  If you know of any kobold caves or semi-megabeast caves you can head there and pick up trade goods to sell.

Also what are you trying to purchase? Quality is a huge determinant of price and while the -iron two-handed sword- doesn't cost very much the ≡iron two-handed sword≡ will cost 2.5 more. Decorative rings of rhesus macaque bones are extra.

Code: [Select]
Designation Description Value Combat Bonus

Item Name ×1  ×1.0
-Item Name- Well-crafted ×2  ×1.2
+Item Name+ Finely-crafted ×3  ×1.4
*Item Name* Superior quality×4  ×1.6
≡Item Name≡ Exceptional ×5  ×1.8
☼Item Name☼ Masterful ×12  ×2.0
Unique name Artifact ×120  ×2.0?*
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Quality

To see how much the decorations add to the price of your sword see:http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Decoration
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:55:11 pm by Foehamster »

Garm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 07:52:56 pm »

It was a copper mace.  I don't think it was anything other than basic quality but I'm using the May Green tileset and have never been positive of what the symbols mean. 

I don't know what I sold earlier then....I thought I only had corpses.

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:38:07 am »

It was a copper mace.  I don't think it was anything other than basic quality but I'm using the May Green tileset and have never been positive of what the symbols mean. 

I don't know what I sold earlier then....I thought I only had corpses.
Well if you check the item description and look for key words you should be able to tell (as long as your tileset isn't so strange as to make reading impossible)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 02:18:34 pm »

You can't trade corpses but you can trade rocks, socks, and just about anything else. My suggestion is to recruit some companions and go exploring. With any luck your companions will die and you can loot their bodies for trade goods. That, or just go into the town at night, steal what you need, and make a run for it. The people in that town won't talk to you any more though.

That, or just walk in, steal a full set of armor, run to the weapon shop, steal the best shit they have and then fight your way out.