Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 49

Author Topic: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions  (Read 130574 times)

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions
« Reply #405 on: March 16, 2009, 02:07:13 pm »

But here's the problem: how do I set up the water controls? I want the controls to shut off automatically when the water's filled a level, and I'm thinking pressure plates will do the job, but I've never set up something so complex. is it even possible to shut off a pump/hatch like this?

That's actually not as bad as it first seems.  Try building a couple auto-refilling cisterns for practice.  Here's a simple diagram (side view):

Code: [Select]
W    F~~~~
W    WWWW
W~~~~^W
W~~~~W
W~~~~F²
W~~~~W
W~~~~F³
WWWWWW

Where
W = Wall
~ = Water
^ = Pressure Plate
F = Floodgate

Just connect the pressure plate to the floodgate, and set it to close the gate when there's a the requisite amount of water present, making sure to set it so that the pressure plate is set to auto-reset.  To select a specific fill depth, just open and close floodgates 2 and 3 (F² and F³).  The water will fill up to the first open gate or the pressure plate, whichever is lower.

Then, for the real thing, just place the pressure plates one level ABOVE the maximum fill level, and set them to trigger at or above 1/7 water, that should keep the maze flooded.

At least, that's how I'd go about it.

Oh, also, shutting off a pump can be achieved by routing its power shaft through a gearbox, which can be disengaged by a lever.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 02:08:52 pm by Mondark »
Fefeshnelmargalip

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 16, 2009, 02:12:01 pm »

The question is: Do pressure plates work in Adventure Mode? As far as I know, they don't, at least the creature-triggered ones; I don't know about the water-triggered ones, could someone test this?

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 16, 2009, 04:01:30 pm »

Edit: Speaking of which, does building constructions with metal bars use the masonry skill or something else?'

Blacksmithing, I believe.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Ljas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 16, 2009, 04:40:26 pm »

Is there any way of telling where these abandoned fortresses might be?
So far I've only managed to stumble in the mountain halls called "Hellgate of Suicide".
In there I found rotting corpses, and possessed elves and humans covered in blood.

And tentacle demons.

In fact, the whole world seems to be littered in all kinds of crafts and dead animals.
What have you done to that place?  :o

EDIT: Stupid question, of course the Hellgate of Suicide IS an abandoned fort.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 05:05:05 pm by Ljas »

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 16, 2009, 05:56:22 pm »

Argh, of course my turn would be coming up right when I have to be gone for several weeks.  Might as well just take me off the list now.  :-\
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 16, 2009, 07:29:24 pm »

Hey y'all.  Just wanted to point something out now that I've noticed this.

Traps work in adventure mode, but only if you go into the init settings and tell them to work in adventure mode.  This feature is off by default due to the unavoidable nature of traps as they stand (and the glitches that result from cage traps).

Also: Nice job, keep up the good work!
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 17, 2009, 01:55:21 am »

Count me in!

I'm thinking of some madman's dungeon deep into a inn's cave.

And I'll re-build the town in order to make it look more reallistic...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 17, 2009, 10:25:36 am »

Traps work in adventure mode, but only if you go into the init settings and tell them to work in adventure mode.
Are you sure? Have you tested it? Because a bunch of people in this thread have. The option you mentioned doesn't do anything. It's also mentioned in the bug list. Even when set to ON, traps and pressure plates don't work.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 17, 2009, 11:26:06 am »

On another note: How come every single fortress i have visited contain tentacle demons? It annoys me.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 17, 2009, 03:23:59 pm »

Traps work in adventure mode, but only if you go into the init settings and tell them to work in adventure mode.
Are you sure? Have you tested it? Because a bunch of people in this thread have. The option you mentioned doesn't do anything. It's also mentioned in the bug list. Even when set to ON, traps and pressure plates don't work.
Weird.  I did it before, awhile back.  Must be a more recent thing.  Shame though.  Would've made for a great difficulty mode setting.  I'm afraid I missed the test bit.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 08:11:57 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 18, 2009, 08:51:30 pm »

I'd like to be in on this, I'm thinking of a stone sphere fortress over either a bottomless pit or magma pit.

Edit: spelling
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 11:10:57 pm by MagmaDeath »
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 18, 2009, 09:30:50 pm »

why am I not on the list? I applied a couple weeks ago.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 19, 2009, 02:58:22 pm »

Probably because there's no way we'll ever get down to you before the next version comes out and we start over.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 19, 2009, 03:03:40 pm »

Probably because there's no way we'll ever get down to you before the next version comes out and we start over.

Which probably isn't so bad. Right now everyone's ideas are extremely limited, what with a lot of traps not working in adventurer mode (most notably, pressure plates). Right now all people can do is make smexy forts with interesting rooms and artifacts, or some dungeons with oddly placed levers using an 'everything or nothing' roulette sort of play.
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 21, 2009, 01:01:09 am »

On another note: How come every single fortress i have visited contain tentacle demons? It annoys me.

by far the easiest way to make sure that your fort is filled with nasty things to fight. other ways might include killing off your dwarves then succumbing to a goblin invasion, or catching as many things as you can, making sure they have names, and then caging them around with levers to release them. you could also create forts built by goblins, lots of them should hang around after abandon.

and test the fixing up a town town thing first. the word on the forums a few versions ago was that embarking on a town would break all the shops. there are only 2 towns in the world, as i remember, so dont break them. i was orignally thinking of adding a big underground sewer esque place to the larger town and putting nasty things in it for my turn, but breaking the shops wound not be worth it.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 49