Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49]

Author Topic: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions  (Read 130496 times)

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions
« Reply #720 on: February 27, 2010, 11:46:16 am »

The thing about building fortresses normally is that you end up with massive amounts of useless objects strewn around that make your grand crystal palace look like a pigsty.  With the lack of bottomless pits in the next version this could be even worse.

But yes, the intent seems to be to limit modding to stuff that is completely optional and can be reversed when the fort goes to the next person. If you want to speed hack your dwarves to clean up the mess around your fort before you abandon, that should still be legal.

Thought on item strewing: If valuable items move deeper underground than cheap ones, and light objects move farther than heavy ones, is it possible that adamantine items are finding their way right off the bottom of the map?
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 27, 2010, 06:31:42 pm »

I strongly encourage the creation of batch files for easily adding and removing things such as super fast, indestructible dwarves that don't eat or sleep, and reactions that easily create things such as adamantine, steel, copper, rose gold, mermaid bones, and camel bones...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Moose Fisher

• Bay Watcher
  • [DEBUG ERROR: THIS TEXT DOES NOT EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 27, 2010, 08:23:57 pm »

A strange thing happened while I was attacking Hauntevil.  I killed the Demon Queen and climbed my way to the top of the tower she was in.  There were a lot of goblin merchants and their pack animals, so I was bashing away with my adamantine mace.  At some point, I was getting mass announcements of goblin merchants falling over in pain.  I looked at the renaming goblin merchants, and they all had yellow injury hands.

This was odd, but I ignored it and kept whacking away at merchants to stop the announcement flood.  Suddenly, my screen fills up with announcements of likely EVERY GOBLIN MERCHANT bleeding to death.  I'm not sure how this happened, but I've also been getting announcements of guards and dwarven children falling over in pain.  I inspected the first dwarf child I came across and they had yellow hand injuries too!

I ended up leaving the site to in an attempt to find out what was the name of the settlement, but I've reentered it to see if more inhabitants are suffering from bleeding hand disease.

Excerpt of sudden goblin merchant death syndrome
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Looking around the place, but it seems a lot of members left (probably from all the chasm creature attacks and massive merchant death)

Found a child with slightly discolored hands, evidence of their previous hand trauma?

And a pump operator (taken after I bashed them once)

EDIT EDIT:

Yep, more mass merchant death.  Is it something they're holding?

This Swordsdwarf seems to be immune.  It has leather and iron on, and was holding bone crafts.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:

An immune child (after I hit her left wrist/hand...)  Has silk on.

I also put on a dwarf bone bracelet and ring, but I'm not sustaining any injuries.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 09:12:14 pm by Moose Fisher »
"I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?"
-Elderly Hive Dweller

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 28, 2010, 04:25:51 am »

Maybe you should check your error log to see if somehow a file got corrupted (such as a leather item losing its temperature and freezing)?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 28, 2010, 05:15:57 am »

Hehehe, the goblins mostly arnt wearing gloves. Their hands are freezing off, and they bleed to death.

I had that once, only it was so cold that it happened to not just their hands. My adventurer allmost froze to death as well.

Still I wonder why those goblins had so many merchants...
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: February 28, 2010, 02:07:06 pm »

I strongly encourage the creation of batch files for easily adding and removing things such as super fast, indestructible dwarves that don't eat or sleep, and reactions that easily create things such as adamantine, steel, copper, rose gold, mermaid bones, and camel bones...
Make them as corpse drops from kittens, messing with the reaction file makes it so the save won't work with vanilla DF.

Plus if you've got adamantine junk pouring out of every fort around it kind of takes away the challenge.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 28, 2010, 03:22:02 pm »

Make them as corpse drops from kittens, messing with the reaction file makes it so the save won't work with vanilla DF.
That's wrong. You can edit reactions like it was no thing and you won't need a regen. You can't, however, add or remove reactions. That's why we have a bunch of blank reactions in there that can be changed however the recent player needs them.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 28, 2010, 03:34:45 pm »

The point is to have a file that you just need to run and the settings will be cheateriffic, and and then easily restore them to default values when you are finished with it.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 28, 2010, 04:02:25 pm »

The point is to have a file that you just need to run and the settings will be cheateriffic, and and then easily restore them to default values when you are finished with it.
Yeah, I know, but I can't do that, my .bat-fu is severely lacking.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Read the First Post!

Moose Fisher

• Bay Watcher
  • [DEBUG ERROR: THIS TEXT DOES NOT EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 28, 2010, 11:29:19 pm »

Hehehe, the goblins mostly arnt wearing gloves. Their hands are freezing off, and they bleed to death.

I had that once, only it was so cold that it happened to not just their hands. My adventurer allmost froze to death as well.

Still I wonder why those goblins had so many merchants...

That explains it.  Though it seems weird for goblins to have merchants at all.

I'm enjoying this project more and more.  Keep up the good work!
"I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?"
-Elderly Hive Dweller
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49]