Poll

Are you male or female?

Male
- 141 (94.6%)
Female
- 8 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Gender demographics.  (Read 6568 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Gender demographics.
« on: September 27, 2008, 04:20:15 pm »

After looking at the age demographic poll. I got interested in the Gender demographics here.
Peronally, I am a male.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Gender demographics.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 04:21:17 pm »

Like, 5 girls play this game. That's it.

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 04:25:23 pm »

Like, 5 girls play this game. That's it.
I'm willing to bet that more girls play the game and aren't willing to admit it. I know some people do it just as a joke, (hell, I do, too), but some girls are put off a little by the "LOLOLOL NO GIRLS ON THE INTERNET THING". Relevant: http://xkcd.com/322/

Anyway, I'm willing to bet that there won't be many women that play this game. I'm guessing... something like 25-20 male to 1 female ratio. That's just the way these things seem to go, though I have no real explanation for it... there are plenty of places on the internet where the gender ratio is 50/50, or even more women than men. It just seems that games, especially niche ones like Dwarf Fortress, attract more males. Is anyone willing to offer a possible reason why?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 05:05:41 pm by Spoggerific »

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 04:45:56 pm »

Cultural prejudices.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 04:50:46 pm »

The stat page says that the ratio is 23.7:1. There are 5906 users at this point in time. So there are more than we think. http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?action=stats.

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 04:58:17 pm »

The stat page says that the ratio is 23.7:1. There are 5906 users at this point in time. So there are more than we think. http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?action=stats.

Yes, but you don't have to list your gender on your profile. It can be left empty. Also, some may just mark "male" right away without thinking. I'm not sure why, but I, personally, think people would be a bit more honest in a poll. I could be wrong.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 05:04:10 pm »

...there are plenty of places on the internet where the gender ratio is 50/50, or even more women than men. It just seems that games, especially cliche ones like Dwarf Fortress, attract more males...

I assume you meant to say niche instead of cliche? ;p

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 05:05:15 pm »

I assume you meant to say niche instead of cliche? ;p
Oops. Yeah, I'll fix that right now. I typed "Today" instead of "Toady" earlier, too... bad day for typos, for me.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 05:32:10 pm »

Oops. Yeah, I'll fix that right now. I typed "Today" instead of "Toady" earlier, too... bad day for typos, for me.
I always have to read "Toady" and "Today" extra carefully to know which one is being referred to.

On topic, many people seem to think that women would be somehow easy to spot in the internet, from their writing style or something like that, but that isn't true at all. I have now been positively surprised at least 3 times that some guys here were in fact gals.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 05:32:56 pm »

Yes, but you don't have to list your gender on your profile. It can be left empty. Also, some may just mark "male" right away without thinking. I'm not sure why, but I, personally, think people would be a bit more honest in a poll. I could be wrong.

Which makes the current result of 20:0 on that poll a little worrying.

I think it's just a matter of communication.  Most men talk to other men more than not, most women talk to other women more than not, and since DF and most other niche games are spread entirely by word of mouth.  Cultural prejudice (and maybe a hint gender-interest difference of detail/style) means internet guys probably found DF first, then spread word, and now when a female player shows up and sees these, admittedly joking, "Where da ladies at?" threads might leave.

I know for a fact there are games played by more women than men, Maple Story for instance.  We're all part of some niche audience when you get down to it, and who knows why some things are popular with certain groups?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ChJees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 06:51:58 pm »

Male ofcourse

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 10:37:35 pm »

Hm...44 to 0

I think some of the females got confused by their own beards.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 11:40:50 pm »

Or they just ignore these threads when they see them. Or, none have been on and in this subforum since the poll went up. Probably a combination of many things. *shrug*
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 01:34:51 am »

<.< >.> 48:1 ..... Im feeling a little lonely now... I've rp'd in games as guys before and managed to fool others. Then again I've rp'd  girlie girls and still been called a guy so... :P
When I was first introduced to the internet I used to get verry upset when someone called my a guy, anymore its meh...whatever, they'll figure it out eventualy.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 05:22:29 am »

Heh, 61 male and 1 female voters so far. What a surprise!  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3