Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: OGL Curses Test  (Read 2106 times)

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
Re: OGL Curses Test
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2005, 07:49:00 pm »

So, will the fonts the OGL uses be in a file?  I'm thinking of making crude little sprites to replace the horrible mish mash of characters you seem to love.  Or maybe I'll just replace all the useless foliage with '.' or something.

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2005, 08:42:00 pm »

Hmmmm, I have to agree a little with Demon on that one. It does look quite chaotic. An Adom type of ground wouldn't be too bad. green . for fields, brown . for dirt and roads, grey . for dungeons/caves... etc etc... but that would prolly be over-simplyfiying it :P

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2005, 08:47:00 pm »

The fonts are in the same file as the OGL test.  However, currently changing ' or , to . would also change those things in regular text, which would be kinda weird.  If people are interested, I can tease apart the print code to allow for customization beyond the character choices I have made.  It wouldn't take all that long.

As an added note, the foliage is only somewhat random.  ' ` , . are grass, but " is a bush that can be checked for something edible (in case your pick breaks or you are just so incompetent that your dwarves have to live off the land), and the gammas are saplings that will grow into harvestable trees after a few years.  The 4 types of brown arrows (and the integral sign top) are trees that can be used for lumber.  Trees are obstacles to your dwarves' movement.

[ January 23, 2005: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2005, 09:37:00 pm »

the " for bushes is cool. The gammas for saplings, cool. The 4 types of brown arrows (and the integral sign top) for trees. Cool. The random ' ` , . for grass... well, not so cool. Having a big field of randomness makes it difficult to find the bushes and trees and saplings.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2005, 09:56:00 pm »

It just looks grassier to me that way.  I'll let you change it if you want.  Having a grid of periods looks sterile to me, like somebody came by and manicured the dwarves' lawn.

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2005, 06:03:00 am »

Oooooooh, lawn manicure. Having a big field of . might make it look empty, but having 5 varied symbols make it look... well like a big friggin jungle, not to mention finding bushes with 2 signs that look quite like it alot more difficult.

Added note: Maybe having green and dark green . and , for grass?

[ January 24, 2005: Message edited by: Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Reinc ]

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2005, 06:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>This test still set up the same way as Corin was.  As with other curses games (e.g. all the *bands I've played, etc.), input is gathered by something like getch(), which pulls things out of the keyboard input buffer.  Windows keydown messages work the same way.  This is good for those games, because you don't want to take an extra step when you press the move buttons.  In Corin, something like GetKeyState() would be better, since it just tells you whether or not the key is down.  For dwarves, I'm currently using getch() (or WM_KEYDOWN in the ogl version), but for viewport and other scrolling I might switch over to state detection.</STRONG>
I'm not sure what the difference is, but in all those other curses games, I've always been able to move across the screen by holding down an arrow key, regardless of what version I'm running or the environment I'm running it in.  In Corin, doing that would cause the game to lock up and beep angrily at me about halfway across until I released it, something that I'd only seen before in very, very old programs.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2005, 06:46:00 pm »

Ah, then your "holding down the key" isn't the complaint some other people had.  I thought you just meant the delay that happens before it starts auto-sending additional presses, rather than smooth movement at the first press.  The angry beeping is something else.  Both behaviors should be gone in OGL curses.  The beeping usual means that the buffer has filled up, which shouldn't happen in Corin since it empties it every frame.  Maybe I just did something stupid.  It's hard to tell, since I can't get it to happen.  In any case, since OGL works for you, I'll just revamp Corin as I mentioned in the other thread, and we'll try to get all the issues ironed out so that Dwarves just works out of the box.

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2005, 07:58:00 pm »

I never got any angry beeping, and movement was kinda nice, and hey, the only time I need to start moving rapidly instantly is near a foe, and if I get that close to em Im to stupid to be allowed to live anyways :P
Pages: 1 [2]