Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Future of LCS's UI  (Read 2068 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
The Future of LCS's UI
« on: February 08, 2014, 11:24:56 pm »

First off, yes, I know this topic has been brought up before. Second, I've spent a lot of my own time gutting and rebuilding user interfaces, and understand the amount of work it involves. Third, I know that LCS's UI is based on that of a much older ascii game called oubliette (at least partially). I think we can all agree that none of these things constitute a good reason that LCS's UI shouldn't be improved.

I'm not saying anything new by suggesting this; we all know it's a mess, especially those that have actually seen the UI code. What I'd like is bay12's opinion on where it stands. I get the feeling that a lot of you are fine with the current UI, despite knowing how bad it is. Even I don't mind it most of the time, but that's because I already know how to use it. But when even experienced players are becoming frustrated with the labyrinthine menu structure and limited access to data, it might be time to reconsider how your game presents itself.

There are a lot of different ways to go if we decide to improve the UI. There are plenty of pre-packaged UI-building libraries for rendering backends like SFML and SDL, and I've seen libtcod suggested on more than one occasion. In the end I think that the console is the biggest thing holding LCS back.

I'd be willing to help with this, but I need to know what you all think.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
  • Even on the battlefield.
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of LCS's UI
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 06:09:38 am »

I could only ever offer moral support. And I'm in there with the people who know it's bad but don't mind because I know how to navigate through sheer experience. So even then I'd only be in favour of changing it to help me get other people into the game.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 09:36:33 am »

I could only ever offer moral support. And I'm in there with the people who know it's bad but don't mind because I know how to navigate through sheer experience. So even then I'd only be in favour of changing it to help me get other people into the game.

Same as I. I don't personally mind the UI, all it takes is a little searching at times. But, I would support anyone who attempts to improve the game to make it easier to pick it up.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 01:59:42 pm »

Honestly the main UI issues I have had problems with after getting the main interface down is the item list (and sleeper menu to lesser extent) because of how long it can take to organize several safehouses of items to their proper places as sometimes stacks of items (especially newly bought ones) appear individually in the list but sometimes a single entry of 'police bodyarmor' is every one (sometimes over 80). The sleeper menu is simply unwieldy especially with over 40 sleepers, the sorting options help and are greatly appreciated but don't solve this problem. It'd be nice if there was an option to view sleepers by their actual name to differentiate between sleepers with the same occupation in the same areas. An option to view sleepers in only certain places or with certain occupations would also be useful.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;