Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unofficial unofficial LCS 3.12ish alpha download for Win  (Read 1037 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Unofficial unofficial LCS 3.12ish alpha download for Win
« on: December 12, 2007, 01:48:00 pm »

Or is it official unofficial?  :D

Some things to try:
- talk about the issues with conservatives
- recruit people with talk about the issues
- date people
- kidnap and tend to people
- get a sleeper
- pull up the map (m) in the location where your sleeper works afterwards
- attack the police station or courthouse
- have somebody rat you out (you might need to get them into a lot of trouble, like multiple counts of murder or kidnapping, before they'll do it)
- go to trial after somebody rats you out

[ December 12, 2007: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unofficial unofficial LCS 3.12ish alpha download for Win
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 05:55:00 pm »

Very cool, John, I'll grab a copy as soon as I get home from my other errands I've left to run. Can't wait to see all the stuff you've been talking about firsthand.

Keep it up, man!

This is not a signature.

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 11:26:00 pm »

I'm getting to it right now!
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 02:33:00 am »

I just gave a quick look at it. I like the "Activate" screen (which is probably where you have done the most work ?).

However, you give very precise description of what it does. Maybe we should try to go back to that sarcastic way of describing things (and thus let the player guess a -little- bit what lies behind that

But it seems that there are really good things in being prepared.

[ December 13, 2007: Message edited by: flap ]

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 02:43:00 am »

Yeah, I had mixed feelings about the descriptions myself. On one hand, it's very clear, but on the other hand... what you said. I'll definitely consider changing them at least.

The new "Activate" screen is the main reason this a branch build in the first place, and not an official release. It's still incomplete.

I'm actually thinking that maybe Legal Fundraising and Illegal Fundraising should each be an option, with no details, then the game (or rather, the Liberal itself) decides what the details are for to raise money. It could be part of the fun and discovery in the game. "Oh wow, the musician I recruited is playing liberal music in the street!" "Gee, I recruited a prostitute, and set them to Illegal Fundraising, and now they're engaging in prostitution to raise money. How shocking!" You still get to decide whether to go with "modest and safe" or "motherlode and risky", but the details are based on the Liberal's skills.

[ December 13, 2007: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 02:49:00 pm »

Yes I was thinking of the same thing about letting the game choose what they should do as actions.

Also, here are a few quick comments to the Activate screen (Which were already true with the previous versions)

- All keys don't react in the same way. For most of them, when you press, you stay on the screen and can change your choice again. But for "S"teal car, once you press it, you are sent back to the list of liberals.

- Some keys open a screen with a new menu straight away (such as "Make cloth"). Some will open that Menu at the end of the day (for Steal car, when you select the type of car you want to steal). We should maybe either put all these screen at the activation of liberals, or at the end of the day ?

- I was looking at the "Z" option (assign task in bulk). I wonder how relevent it is. Maybe would it be good merge it somehow with the other activation screen, or update it.

- If I remember, some tasks do automatically continue next day, some don't. There should maybe be some work done on that.

- A graphical comment about the "Make clothing screen" : The first top line is in white, while in most others it is grey. There might be something to think about to improve the use of colors. On the other hand, the it is good the interface not to be totally the same everywhere. It maybe gives that felling of liberal not restricting each other to go in all directions. Hmm. To think about.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 04:16:00 pm »

Steal a car and make clothing are cleared each day... steal a car because you only want to steal one car probably, and make clothing because it costs money each time you do it.

Steal a car needs to stop clearing the order if you don't actually steal a car or get caught (eg, you didn't find the police cruiser you wanted so you bailed out to come back tomorrow). Currently it only doesn't clear if you back out before even picking a vehicle to look for.

Make clothing maybe should have the decision screen moved to the end of the day, *not* clear afterward, and if you don't give them something to make, they'll clear the make clothing task. (Edit: On the other hand, interrogations should really be picked at the time of activation, I think.)

Steal a car shouldn't force you to exit the activation screen. That should be fixed.

The bulk orders is another thing that is broken right now. I just haven't updated it to fit the new system.

It probably wouldn't hurt to have the interface use of color more standardized. Good catch, I usually don't notice things like that.

[ December 13, 2007: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

Grundee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 08:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan S. Fox:
<STRONG> http://www.jonathansfox.com/LCS/lcs_win32_312_alpha.zip

Source code is on the sourceforge SVN.

I didn't keep good records of everything that's changed. Grundee will not approve.     :p But it's been a lot of stuff.
[ December 12, 2007: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]</STRONG>

Hehe, maybe add "Lots of stuff" to the ChangeLog. You made so many changes that if you spent the time to log each modification you made you would not have had time to make any of the modifications  :p.

After we merge your changes with the trunk I will just diff the revisions and make a ChangeLog entry for the merge. A list of features would be helpful for the Release Notes, but don't worry about that for now.

One thing I would like to include in 3.12 is support for big-endian and 64-bit processors. I really need to get around to merging that big-endian patch...

[ December 13, 2007: Message edited by: Grundee ]