Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: LCS Future Plans  (Read 2187 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: LCS Future Plans
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 12:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by a1s:
<STRONG>maybe if you necromance it every time it goes to page 2 it will!   :D</STRONG>

I am voting for AMFV.  :p Not that I don't love DF, but AMFV was literally the best use of the text based game medium I've ever played.

Eventually I'll probably make it so heat decays over time, making people harder to catch if you keep them weaselly. For now, pointers:

1. If you put them in a base with only a couple others, they're not well defended, but that base will have a higher ability to shake off heat.

2. If you assign them to community service, they can earn a bit of karma to shake off heat. Um... it won't likely dent your 100 kills though.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 09:53:00 am »

A couple of things:

-Succession
Maybe there should be some leadership/heart/charisma/juice check to keep people when a leader dies, representing the damage to the organization.

-Jobs and sleepers
I don't like the ability for sleeps to work for you on their days off. They should have no contact with you at all. Instead of assigning LCS members to jobs, have them be able to try to become a sleeper, this check should be fallible. Sleepers should go stale at some point, no one maintains cover for 30 years without contact. Give players some sense of the mental state of the sleeper and an option to extract them from normal society. Perhaps working as a sleeper should even increase wisdom over the long run, leading to people turning on you.

-Seduction
Right now it seems like sleeping with someone can only be used to recruit, why not but a couple more options in there? The "love slave" could get guns, maps, documents, clothing or money for you. Downside is that the seducer need to spend time with them, or they go to the police.  

-Other groups
I don't think the game should be tracking outside groups, after all the LCS is supposed to be so radical they have no qualms about killing a janitor because they "look" conservative. Everyone should appear to uninvolved to you. However, This does not mean that outside events shouldn't occur, just that they shouldn't be tied to any groups. Events like wars, recessions, protests, strikes, police crackdowns, elections, important court cases and contracts would still be really frickin' cool. That being said, it would be cool if you could buy into other organizations networks, like the KGB or Greenpeace. In exchange for cash, people or the occasional large job (think the weathermen's prison break) you should get access to a)info b)training facilities offsite (think becca valley) c) resources (additional safe houses, vehicles, equipment, cash). Of course this comes with a downside as well, if you cross your allies or attract too much heat they could turn on you.

-Fight club style recruiting
I really like this idea, but I want it further. As LCS become more widely know and more liked you should get recruits, and police informants. There should be some process for indoctrinating these recruits and bringing them into the LCS, while weeding out the moles. Roll recruitment up into interrogation, rename it indoctrination or something, and use the same interface for both. The only difference between a hostage and a recruit should be that the recruit wants to be there.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 02:42:00 pm »

Well this thread just made my day, I had no idea LCS was still being worked on.  :) Guess I really need to check this board more often...

I had a lot of fun with it while I was waiting for DF to come out, though after I got the hang of the basics there were some frustrating and just plain illogical elements that I thought kept it from being as great as it could be - I always thought it was sad it was apparently abandoned because it has a ton of potential and really just needs a few tweaks here and there. The fact that you're not just fixing and balancing a couple of things but seriously thinking of adding all those new features mentioned in the first post is beyond awesome.    :cool:

[ February 12, 2008: Message edited by: Solara ]

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 04:46:00 pm »

BishopX:

I really like most of your ideas. I still think it would be good for the game if attacks on the AM Radio actually affect the AM Radio in a more serious way than just a news story and then that's it.

Forcing everyone in the organization to make a check to see if they abandon the LCS when the leader dies is interesting, and it could be done in place of having a minimum for your new leader -- okay, anybody can take over, but will people follow them? I'll have to think about it.

Planting sleepers doesn't sound so bad if they have to make regular checks to be found out on their Wisdom. Since your plants would be rather weak in Wisdom, they'd be risky -- or maybe your plants increase in Wisdom, while brainwashed folks don't? Dunno, there's potential there. A lot of people have suggested planting sleepers manually, but you have good ideas on how to balance it.

I like the idea that you could seduce people and have them get you stuff, but be required to continue to date them. They could even act a sleeper during this time -- but only as long as you continue to date them. I really like the potential here.

Events you can interact with, definitely. And allies you can cooperate with would be really cool too.

Rolling together recruiting with interrogations is an intriguing idea. You could have the recruitment mode have two styles -- cooperative and coercive. For Liberals and moderates, you could only do the first set of options. For Conservatives, the second set would also open up. You can't beat up or starve your Hippie recruits, that would be un-Liberal, but you can show movies and have discussions and such with Conservatives.

Solara:

Oh yes, and we're not just thinking about adding features either -- if you haven't, check out the latest version (either from the sourceforge SVN to get the source code, or you can get a windows download from the alpha 5 thread. Look for alpha 6 though, probably page 3 or so). We've done a lot already, and development is continuing. The Liberal Guardian is widely expanded, there are many new ways to activate your people, there are significant changes to the go forth (cause a big ruckus at a factory and stick around too long, and you'll have SWAT teams beating down the door to root your squad out)... honestly, a lot of the fixes and balances are on new features and changes.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 07:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan S. Fox:
<STRONG>
Oh yes, and we're not just thinking about adding features either -- if you haven't, check out the latest version (either from the sourceforge SVN to get the source code, or you can get a windows download from the alpha 5 thread. Look for alpha 6 though, probably page 3 or so). We've done a lot already, and development is continuing. </STRONG>

Yeah, I came to this thread straight from the main forum, then after I posted I clicked around a bit and realized Curses had basically become the LCS Development Board.   :D

I've already downloaded the newest version, hoping I get a chance to play later tonight. (Which is just what I need, what with DF and the recently rediscovered Darklands already dominating every moment of my free time...it's okay though I don't need a life)

Pages: 1 [2]