Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: LCS Alpha 3.12ish Bugs  (Read 10472 times)

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS Alpha 3.12ish Bugs
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 05:46:00 pm »

Nah, I like the different areas of teaching. It makes plenty of sense that you can only effectively train people in a few particular skills at one time.

Even in the military, training only covers a few areas at a time, and you incorporate old lessons in new training as you learn to use the cumulative whole of what you've learned.

I vote for keeping it, it feels kind of god-moddy that one person could teach others what they know all at once.

Ribs still break for no reason in alpha 3, also. I couldn't tell if you meant you had fixed it already or if you're doing another release tomorrow that fixes it and it's still there for now. Mine's doing it right out of the box, so I guess it still needs a fix.

[ December 16, 2007: Message edited by: Skeeblix ]

This is not a signature.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 06:12:00 pm »

Hahahaha, oops, no, the bug with ribs not healing was fixed, but the bug with them breaking for no reason is actually a "feature" I added for testing -- I wanted to test ribs healing, so made EVERYONE start with a random number of broken ribs.  :D I meant to remove that, but forgot. It'll be fixed next release. I suppose now every time you recruit somebody you get spammed with "so and so's injuries need professional attention" or something and everyone spontaneously decides they're going to assign themselves to go to the clinic. For now, it should only happen when you first get someone. On the plus side, all the enemies will be in pain from broken ribs, so... they'll probably get attack penalties against you or something...  :D

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 07:36:00 pm »

Hahaha. Good work, sir. Other than that, I haven't run into anything particularly game-breaking yet.

Looking forward to more development, keep it up, man.

Also, I liked the "hidden" option to send the new recruits to go look for a weapon before returning. So why have you excluded it?   :(

It'd be nice to have a chance for a free weapon from your recruits, even if they were prevented from bringing anything to powerful. Perhaps this could be based on the current level of gun control? I dunno, I'm sure you'll figure something out.

EDIT: Okay, nevermind. After a bit more fooling around I discovered what it was. The option to tell recruits o go get a weapon was accessible before you sent them to do activities before recruiting them. Nevermind then!

This is not a signature.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 09:50:00 pm »

Side note... how is the warning about injuries being too severe turning out? The message comes when there isn't anyone with a strong enough first aid skill to heal their injuries. It will continue spamming you every turn, and continue overriding their activation choice every turn to be go to clinic if you disable it... tell me if this becomes irritating... I imagine most of the time you just want to say "oh, okay, go then" but maybe there are some circumstances where you don't?

[ December 16, 2007: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

Grundee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 11:29:00 pm »

I just added a "v3.12ish alpha" version option to the SourceForge.net tracker at http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=966959&group_id=198808&func=browse  for this version's bug reports.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2007, 11:29:00 pm »

Comment without having tried the warning stuff : maybe they should say that only 3 times, and then stop (maybe with message like "You prefer to liberally let me die at work").

But that would probably give him few points of wisdom : these liberals are not any better than the conservative.

[ December 16, 2007: Message edited by: flap ]

Kobura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 07:31:00 am »

Pressing down at the main menu quits the game.

Further experimentation revealed that the assignment to the arrow keys for during movement on-site, appears to persist during menus.

(EDIT)

Further FURTHER experimentation revealed their mapping during menu screens.

^-W

v-X

[ December 17, 2007: Message edited by: Kobura ]

ngel of Light
Serpent of the Night
Kobura Shinja Cape

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 01:14:00 am »

Yes, this is relatively well known, and I don't know if the programmers will want to consider it as a bug.

Basically the arrows are intercepted and then treated like letters. Toady probably felt that it would be easier (I suppose that he didn't want to go through all his screens to change the keys behaviour. So it intercepted it at the beginning. Well from what I understood at the time and without reading the code)

Kobura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 05:57:00 am »

Oh, also the ribs thing is getting me but we knew that. How do I download the dynamically updated versions, so people don't have to compile new ones for me? :<
ngel of Light
Serpent of the Night
Kobura Shinja Cape

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2007, 03:18:00 am »

You can find the sourceforge page here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lcsgame/

The location of the work I'm doing on SVN is here (browse link):
http://lcsgame.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/lcsgame/branches/31104branch/

This is updated every time I remember to update it, and it's very easy to update, so I do update it more often than I upload copies of the game. That's just the source code though.

ps.. I'm on at least a couple days of inactivity on lcs -- spending time with family and creating Liberal music.   ;)

Edit: Honestly, thinking about the arrow key thing, it's probably better to stop treating arrow keys as letters and just add additional handling to moving around in site mode. When else in the entire game do we care about treating arrow keys as those letters except in one place? Previously I didn't think of it as a bug, but I'm coming around to it, in the sense of a bug being "undesired functionality". It's certainly not "unknown" or "not as designed", but that just means it should probably be re-designed.  :p

[ December 19, 2007: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

Spelguru

• Bay Watcher
  • Rabid Swedish Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2007, 06:57:00 am »

*cough* what is the location of the compiled one?
Got Ninja?
Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz, Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz... WAAAAAGH!
NHP (Non human pact. Copy and paste if you are going to destroy all human-like creatures in spore.)

Kobura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2007, 07:11:00 am »

In what I can discern is the latest release, dating at all causes crashes. Ishbad D:
ngel of Light
Serpent of the Night
Kobura Shinja Cape

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2007, 10:51:00 am »

Compiled for windows:
http://www.jonathansfox.com/LCS/lcs_win32_312_alpha3.zip

This should have dating working okay, but everyone starts with broken ribs.   :p

[ December 20, 2007: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2007, 10:02:00 pm »

Alright a very odd bug.  I had dated and kidnapped a news anchor who after 2 days of basic interogation (just talking to them) went to the clinic for 2 weeks for broken ribs.  It didn't get beaten or anything or converted. Then the next day my guy beat it to death and it went to the university hospital so i now have a dead corpse sitting in the hospital.

Edit: 9 days later the news anchor has been reported kidnapped with his corpse sitting in the university hospital.

[ December 19, 2007: Message edited by: beorn080 ]

Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2007, 10:13:00 am »

Well, I have mixed feelings... Im Absolutely excited about this new update in process but im feeling heartbroken because i cant fully enjoy it....
 Ill tell you my problems...  :(

I tried the LCS with a Pentium 2 (or similar  :(
   The strangest thing is that this problem doesnt appear with the arrow keys when Im Going Forth to stop evil (or as i call it: F-ing) I can move as fast as usual, but if i use the letter keys for moving or anything else this problem comes up again....
   I never had any problem with the old LCS... I dont know what the cause, if anyone can help Id be pleased...

“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8