Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: LCS Alpha 3.12ish Bugs  (Read 10477 times)

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
LCS Alpha 3.12ish Bugs
« on: December 14, 2007, 04:14:00 pm »

I decided to start a new topic for this because the alpha has a lot of changes, some of them undocumented.

The recruitment screen is bugged. Typically the visible options are:
A. Invite recruit to join.
B. Ease them in.
H. Tell recruit to leave.

Actually pressing the keys gives you same options as though they'd been eased in for 3 weeks, including the various "get a weapon" options (which the recruits always agree to). However, the "H. is a typo on all screens, because telling the recruit to go home is supposed to be either C. or G.

Past that there doesn't seem to be any more options.

Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Kobura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS Alpha 3.12ish Bugs
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 05:04:00 pm »

Hooray I'm new! LCS is just SO much fun to play! One BIIIIG thing I ought to point at is the documentation - I'm extremely tolerant and learned the game, but for someone who's at all 'iffy' about it, they'd probably discard the whole thing because of so many unwritten aspects...

Teaching doesn't seem to do anything but I'm dumb and we knew that.

Weapons skill goes up MASSIVELY fast, just an FYI. I made three kills or so and I'm at Pistols 6.

(You fixed the non-grouped warping to Shelter problem... which I used to rely on)

It seems I can't repair BadlyDamaged clothing? Is this intentional? Again, remember I'm dumb and not a programmer :[

I can walk around, having not done anything... not even lifted goods, and still get suspected/persecuted? Intentional?

It seems that the game's deciding whether the Police door to the restricted area is on a roulette. Sometimes it's locked usually not. Intentional?

Not a bug, but there's still -nothing- to do with non-primo clothing. Ought to be altered, I think... I keep only getting Expensive Suit[2]'s and you're killing me!

It seems the clothings have different protection values. Shouldn't this at least be documented somewhere?

Not a bug, but maybe if your orders to someone conflict with what they'd otherwise end up doing, like a previous order, maybe there should be a y/n continue notice? I've messed up a bunch of 'safety moves' to new hideouts because I re-mass-issued orders and overwrote the move orders.

ngel of Light
Serpent of the Night
Kobura Shinja Cape

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 05:30:00 pm »

actually I had people get guns and come back in 2 days (not a week), I only did that once (to a few people in a row though), so I might have gotten lucky with no bug.

also, this is definitely not a bug, but I had a janitor laugh at me for not being business like. shouldn't the main char have some sort of professional skills (business if A, gangsterism if B and Science if C)? or at any rate gain them (actually not so much them as just a knowledge of how to deal with that sort of people) as he interrogates?

I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 12:01:00 am »

quote:
Actually pressing the keys gives you same options as though they'd been eased in for 3 weeks

Gah! I thought I fixed that bug before release! Thank you for finding that.

quote:
H. is a typo on all screens, because telling the recruit to go home is supposed to be either C. or G.

I actually meant H to stand for "go [H]ome" since I was too lazy to switch between C and G, and I wanted a degree of consistency. Maybe I should put a space between Ease them in and Go home so it doesn't look like they're in the same list. You can tell them to go home with H regardless of the screen.

quote:
Hooray I'm new!

Whaaaaat? Someone registering on the forums to post about LCS?! Can this be?! I am so proud! Welcome!    :(

Here's the rundown, it's pretty straightforward: Toga and naked give no protection. Body armor (any type) gives high protection. Trenchcoats also give a little bit extra, but not like body armor.

Everything else is the same. Except mithril armor.

quote:
Not a bug, but maybe if your orders to someone conflict with what they'd otherwise end up doing, like a previous order, maybe there should be a y/n continue notice? I've messed up a bunch of 'safety moves' to new hideouts because I re-mass-issued orders and overwrote the move orders.

I'm kind of inclined to say no in this case -- you're overwriting old orders all the time in LCS, and while it sucks that you ended up overwriting a whole bunch of orders, it's probably a lot more time and keystrokes wasted to have to press y every time you want to issue somebody a new order than it would save you. Even if you keep it only to orders you issued in the same day, I end up changing my mind a lot, and I don't want to have to press y every time. I'm open to persuasion, but I think it's probably good as it is.

quote:
actually I had people get guns and come back in 2 days (not a week), I only did that once (to a few people in a row though), so I might have gotten lucky with no bug.

Intentional, actually... there's no reason it should take them a week to buy a gun.

quote:
also, this is definitely not a bug, but I had a janitor laugh at me for not being business like. shouldn't the main char have some sort of professional skills (business if A, gangsterism if B and Science if C)? or at any rate gain them (actually not so much them as just a knowledge of how to deal with that sort of people) as he interrogates?

Yes, in fact, I'll go add some social skills to the starting character now. You do gain from interrogating people, I -think-, but it's so little that I've never actually gotten a level from it. It's like, you get one hundredth of a level for every level in it they have each day... pretty pathetic.

[ December 15, 2007: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

[ December 15, 2007: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

Kobura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 03:40:00 pm »

My main character's usually in a squad all by himself. He had to go to the hospital (voluntarily) and ALL his stuff disappeared. Maybe, add something in there that when a squad dissolves, all their stuff is left where they were? It should fit in fine, if a squad dies then it's left at that map and you can't get it anyway, or if they're raided then it's gone just the same.

(EDIT1)
Oh, and checking on the BadlyDamaged clothing, I couldn't get them to repair it when I 'stashed' it where the clothiers were. You know you've always got about forty skill 10 Garment Makers doing T-Shirts to support yourself. THAT's -my- hacker farm :>

[ December 15, 2007: Message edited by: Kobura ]

ngel of Light
Serpent of the Night
Kobura Shinja Cape

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 08:22:00 pm »

You already know H doesn't work on recruitment screen, right? it doesn't.

if you kill a hostage, the activist's task steal reads tending to X.
this is not the case if the hostage just dies on his own.

one of my guys became a torturer! not a bug- I wanted him that way :evil:
however his heart (which during interrogations is shown as 1) refuses to go below 2 in his pRofi1e.

finally, and this has been around for a long time: when you kidnap someone they keep all their stuff, so you have to convert them and oly then take it. that is illogical (as is coming to a date with you M16, unless you're not a 20 year old Israeli, and it's still weird when they do that).

[ December 15, 2007: Message edited by: a1s ]

[ December 15, 2007: Message edited by: a1s ]

I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Kobura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 11:19:00 pm »

When I bought Mithril Armor while still wearing a Army Uniform[BD] it made my mail damaged too :<
ngel of Light
Serpent of the Night
Kobura Shinja Cape

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 01:17:00 am »

quote:
My main character's usually in a squad all by himself. He had to go to the hospital (voluntarily) and ALL his stuff disappeared.

:( If you can verify it not working, could you give me a save game so I can check why it's not working?

quote:
You already know H doesn't work on recruitment screen, right? it doesn't.

Aw man! I thought I had that working properly, but it looks like I left it as F after all!   ;)

quote:
it seems that hackers only ever steal one file. they got one the first month I got them on the job, and in the last hal a year- nothing. bear in mind that I tripled the amount of people working on that project over this time, so I suspect it's a bug.

At first glance I don't see anything wrong with the code, so it may just be that it's an extremely rare event. It'd take something on the order of a team of 20 hackers with 10 intelligence and 10 hacking skill each to reliably score corporate documents on a monthly basis... I suspect you probably just got really lucky the first month, and then unlucky the rest of the time.

quote:
finally, and this has been around for a long time: when you kidnap someone they keep all their stuff, so you have to convert them and oly then take it. that is illogical (as is coming to a date with you M16, unless you're not a 20 year old Israeli, and it's still weird when they do that).

I know! What's up with that! The problem's more complicated than just fixing it on dates though -- you CAN kidnap armed conservatives on site, if they're critically injured and helpless to resist. What I've done is make it so that if someone meets you on a date, they come in "clothes" with "none" for weapon. If they're seduced, they'll get their old equipment back, if they're kidnapped, you get them as they are! Hostages hauled off site will have their weapon quietly taken away and stashed at the location where the hostage is being held. So now if you shoot up a soldier and kidnap them when they're near death, you can use their M16 for something else while you're tending to them.

quote:
When I bought Mithril Armor while still wearing a Army Uniform[BD] it made my mail damaged too :<

Wow, this is an old bug, and it's so easy to fix too, it's a shame we've never gotten around to it. Thank you for the reminder, and consider it exterminated!

----

Update on police door being locked/unlocked: I've modified the map generation code. It should now lock all doors that lead between public and secure areas of the building. It should also unlock and unrestrict all doors that lead between two areas open to the public.

Update on professional skills for the starting character: I think I'm going to wait on the "other option for the intro" -- I could put some science onto C and gangsterism onto B now, but I'd like to do the editing all at once, because I want to take the time to re-balance each question.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 01:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan S. Fox:
<STRONG>quote:it seems that hackers only ever steal one file. they got one the first month I got them on the job, and in the last hal a year- nothing. bear in mind that I tripled the amount of people working on that project over this time, so I suspect it's a bug.

At first glance I don't see anything wrong with the code, so it may just be that it's an extremely rare event. It'd take something on the order of a team of 20 hackers with 10 intelligence and 10 hacking skill each to reliably score corporate documents on a monthly basis... I suspect you probably just got really lucky the first month, and then unlucky the rest of the time.</STRONG>

that's weird, I thought I removed that bug report...
anyways, I am happy to report that after a few more months they finally got another corporate file.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 01:42:00 am »

You did ^_^ But I started replying a couple hours before I actually posted, so I responded to your post before that edit. The reason it took hours is that throughout responding I was testing each bug, reviewing the code, and fixing the problems if I identified them.

Kobura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 04:05:00 am »

Just really curious, are these being dynamically incorporated into any download for more testing? Codes and stuff interact...

... a ghost in the machine...

ngel of Light
Serpent of the Night
Kobura Shinja Cape

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 04:56:00 am »

Yes and no... the source code is on the sourceforge SVN page. You can compile everything I've done today using that to see what I see... nothing dynamically uploading a program file though.

However, since you asked, I've built and uploaded an alpha 2 that incorporates these changes (and some others)  :)
http://www.jonathansfox.com/LCS/lcs_win32_312_alpha2.zip

Spelguru

• Bay Watcher
  • Rabid Swedish Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 06:23:00 am »

Went on a date with a conservative lab tech... *bam* game crash!

And it's repeatable.

2nd edit: First aid doesn't heal broken ribs even though the broken-ribbed guy is at "Liberal" health level.
[ December 16, 2007: Message edited by: Spelguru ]

[ December 16, 2007: Message edited by: Spelguru ]

Got Ninja?
Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz, Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz... WAAAAAGH!
NHP (Non human pact. Copy and paste if you are going to destroy all human-like creatures in spore.)

Kobura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 07:45:00 am »

I'm tellin ya, ye'r making me happy... and I'm one of those bitchy 'Conservative Consumers'!

I'd seriously think that a game like this could get packaged, along with a worked-on DF and sold. This is more fun than I've had in a long time, because there's real progress every day, every time you do something. I like seeing some change every now and then.

Is teaching implemented? It's -really- hard for me to train anyone but my Founder because the people I pick up... suck... or 'turn the tables on me' or.. yea. Teaching = good idea. That's one of those things you can just camp for a few months and do.

ngel of Light
Serpent of the Night
Kobura Shinja Cape

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 03:32:00 pm »

Date crash is fixed, apparently I had some shoddy testing after shoddy implementation for disarming dates and putting them in clothes. Guaranteed crash.  :o

Apparently the problem with broken ribs was a symptom of a much larger disease. Healing was the last thing I was working on before I took a break, and when I picked it back up, I did just enough work to keep the patient alive, but overlooked some critical injuries. I'm performed surgery on the code, and the prognosis is a fully recovery, so I'm releasing the patient. Take two play tests and call me in the morning, if you have any more symptoms.
http://www.jonathansfox.com/LCS/lcs_win32_312_alpha3.zip

Teaching is still not implemented. When I get it working, I will probably have it work similar to Leadership in that the skill cap is based on juice, not charisma... it will probably be that only high juice liberals can teach, and they can only get you up to a skill level equal to their teaching skill or their own skill in that area minus one level... it won't be incredibly powerful, but a little should go a long way. I'll probably remove all those kinds of teaching, and just have one activity that will cover everything.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8