Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress, Teacher's Edition  (Read 10572 times)

shackleton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress, Teacher's Edition
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2008, 06:18:36 pm »

I'd imagine you would also seriously avoid things like:
'The engraving depicts a tentacle demon and an elf. The tentacle demon is commiting a lewd act'.
or
'The engraving depicts a dwarf. The dwarf is dead'
I mean, you'll have some serious trouble dealing with that. Also, how do you censor a dwarf going crazy and beating its kids to death? Or eating their pets?

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2008, 08:14:29 pm »

I don't think you really can make DF kid friendly.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2008, 08:53:57 am »

What do you intend to teach thoguh? Society, The fact that socks can kill fish with ease? These are not subjects that kiddies should be learning.   >:( ;)
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2008, 09:01:50 pm »

KIDDIES, BE AFRAID OF THE WATER. BE VERY AFRAID OF THE WATER.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2008, 05:24:33 am »

The blood should stay. Chopped off limbs might be okay, but flying limbs are kinda unnecessary, as are flying bodies collapsing into lumps of gore. I mean, dying is enough at that point.

The alcohol should stay. However, for accuracy regarding that it was a process used to clean water, it should be renamed to reflect this. After all, people didn't drink rum as a substitute for water: they drank beer with a strength between 1-4% (Couldn't find the english name). Dwarves might be able to drink rum, wine and strong beer in large quantities, but humans are not quite the same :p

The fantasy elements should be reduced.

Trading should be optional.

Ambushes, sieges, etc... should be optional (it already is, right?).

Can't think of anything else in particular, right now.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2008, 05:29:27 am »

Teaching ecology is also an interesting possibility.  Overhunt or overfish, and you run out of food.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2008, 09:06:18 pm »

Not really. Just grab some tasty vermin.

Kids, you can everything that runs around if it's alive and you can carry it! Eat kittens ffs!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2008, 02:27:57 pm »

Kids, when you see a Cat, remember that it has over 200 children and this causes the world to lag. This is why you should the hitler tactic on cats.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Turnip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2008, 10:43:22 pm »

Remember kids, scruffy can be trained to kill many things and you can butcher him for food after he gets injured!
And (because of various programming quirks) dwarves are kinda stupid. Granted, so are the other races. But still.
And yet these stupid dwarves are going to eventually make a nuclear weapon out of cheese and basalt.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2008, 01:41:27 pm »

Likewise, all references to alcohol will need to be removed.  Mostly this would involve changing the names of drinks, but the "needs alcohol to get through the day" line is hardcoded and will have to go.

"hardcoded" is not as hard as you think, if you can't think of a better solution:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2008, 06:42:18 pm »

What's the status of this mod? I've a ten-year-old brother who would love this game, but I can't let him play because of all the innuendo and profanity (That's why I don't play, either. It detracts from the game so much. Why is it there in the first place?) that the RNG spews at you. Everything else is fine, I don't think he'd play the game without violence. All I need are the modded language files. I think he would enjoy modding too, since it's so easy with the raws.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 06:59:20 pm by Fenrir »

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2008, 09:58:15 pm »

What's the status of this mod? I've a ten-year-old brother who would love this game, but I can't let him play because of all the innuendo and profanity (That's why I don't play, either. It detracts from the game so much. Why is it there in the first place?) that the RNG spews at you. Everything else is fine, I don't think he'd play the game without violence. All I need are the modded language files. I think he would enjoy modding too, since it's so easy with the raws.

This is incredibly simple to do, I'm pretty sure you just open \raw\objects\language_DWARF.txt (also GOBLIN, etc) and delete whatever you find objectionable.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2008, 10:01:06 pm »

This is incredibly simple to do, I'm pretty sure you just open \raw\objects\language_DWARF.txt (also GOBLIN, etc) and delete whatever you find objectionable.
Yeah, I know. I was just hoping that someone had already done this so I needn't bother. There are a lot of words in there.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2008, 10:04:18 pm »

Honestly the only actual "bad" words I've ever come across are 'anus', 'rape', and 'whore'. I guess there's 'lust' and 'bodice' too for the really sensitive but even including those, doing a quick search and delete through all the language files shouldn't take more than five minutes.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2008, 10:56:56 pm »

For people who aren't too sensitive, you can also just add [CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:UNTOWARD] to every entity, which will take out the majority of the really bad words, like anus and whatnot.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]