Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Metametal Mod - DF-M3  (Read 752 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Metametal Mod - DF-M3
« on: September 30, 2008, 11:47:57 pm »

Metametal Mod - DF-M3

The Idea is this: make metals, in addition to being more varied in each region, about 20 times as common. Similarly improve gems. My question: how best to do this?

I am probably going to start with the existing minerals mod and then simply increase the density of metals by a power of 20. But I have tried this before without success; metals simply stay the same. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 11:59:28 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Re: Metametal Mod - DF-M3
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 12:31:36 am »

Density does not affect how many metals there actually are. What it does affect is how long it takes to cut through it when mining.

Your best bet I think to do something like this is to make entire floors made of a metal-bearing rock, and making smelter reactions to have a small % value of getting a metal ore from it. Ie. raw stone->metal ore, maybe 5-10% per rock.

In reactions it would look like this:

[REACTION:HARVEST_STONE]
[NAME:harvest stone (use raw stone)]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:WHATEVER_STONE_LAYER_YOU_NAME_IT]
[PRODUCT:5:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:GOLD]
[PRODUCT:5:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:COPPER]
[PRODUCT:5:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:IRON]
[PRODUCT:5:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:SILVER]

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 02:39:39 am »

You should probably play with the [ENVIRONMENT] tags in matgloss_stone_mineral.  Their function is described here: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Matgloss_tokens#ENVIROMENT_and_ENVIRONMENT_SPEC

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 03:06:47 pm »

My very imperfect work-in-progress mineral mod has different qualities of ores, and the highest quality ores tend to produce 6 to 10 bars of metal per unit of ore.  I found this to personally be more enjoyable way to play the game.  I don't necessary find ores absolutely everywhere, but when I do find them, I have plenty of ore to work with.  Even if it is just a small cluster, I can get enough bars out of it to accomplish something of worth.  Entire veins of medium quality ore is absolutely excellent.  And large clusters of crappy ore aren't as outlandish as large clusters of magnetite in vanilla DF.