Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Determining Wind Pre-Embark  (Read 8144 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Determining Wind Pre-Embark
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 02:11:53 am »

Wind doesn't typically push people around

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 06:25:56 pm »

You obviously don't live in a hurricane prone area. :)

But indeed it would take much more than normal wind levels to even meaningfully effect movement speed, let alone throw somebody around.  Although it certainly is possible.

Maybe if Toady ever implements that natural disasters suggestion from way back it could be an effect of a hurricane or tornado.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 07:33:30 pm »

My dad tells stories of being stationed at the U.S.A.F. base in the Aleutian islands. They had stoplights above the exterior doors, and when the winds were too high, they showed red, and you couldn't go outside.

Now I don't know about you, but I think being able to settle in an area with winds like that would be awesome.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 08:39:09 pm »

My dad tells stories of being stationed at the U.S.A.F. base in the Aleutian islands. They had stoplights above the exterior doors, and when the winds were too high, they showed red, and you couldn't go outside.

Now I don't know about you, but I think being able to settle in an area with winds like that would be awesome.

Well yea, DF is all about how suicidal the challenge is.

"In this challenge, I warp the starting seven several z-levels off the ground and drop them before starting the fortress construction. The survivors will make their new homes."

Actually, a system based around how much power a windmill gets to tell how windy it currently is and seal the doors accordingly would be rather awesome.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 08:52:58 pm »

...Is it bad that I just thought of how to do that?

Set up pumps that pump into a chamber that drains really quickly. Connect your windmill. Add a pressure plate that connects to the doors, etc, in the chamber. Add on extra axles or gear assemblies until the total power required for the pumps equals the power provided by the wind when it gets too strong.

I think that would work, anyway. I want to try it now, darn it!
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 08:56:53 pm »

Dwarf Fortress Players: Coming up with solutions for problems that have yet to be implemented.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 09:12:36 pm »

Dwarf Fortress Players: Coming up with solutions for problems that have yet to be implemented.

That because this is DWAAARF FORTREEES!!

Seriously, we are one of the most genius community around in the world wide web, or just crazy / not having to do in free time.
If we enter a contest of 'killin' ur henchmen' we will win 50-0.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 12:55:15 am »

It would be cool if Smoke and Miasma would float in the direction of the wind. Wasnt there an Windmap on Legends mode?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 [2]