Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [LCS] bugs, crashes, questions...  (Read 1528 times)

techguy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[LCS] bugs, crashes, questions...
« on: March 29, 2005, 01:09:00 am »

Hi,

Bug?
----
I've been playing liberal crime squad for a while now, and the page up, page down buttons don't seem to work.

I noticed an init.txt file, with
pagekeys = page with three tabs on the left. Is this ok? How can I fix this? I have so many sleepers that I can't create new squads...

Infinite Securty & No studio!
------------------------------------------
Is it normal that after abusing the cable networks (excessively) that there is no studio in the building, and permanent high security? I've reproduced this at least four times.

Random Crashes
--------------
Sometimes when the founder lies low, the game crashes. Not really critical but annoying and random.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: [LCS] bugs, crashes, questions...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 05:47:00 pm »

If you set pagekeys = brackets or whatever it says to do in the init file it might help.  Tabs shouldn't matter, but you can remove them if you want.

I think there should always be a studio, but the location could remain hot for a very long time.  If there's no studio, then it's a bug.

Yeah, the game has several random crashes.  We've fixed the ones we could locate with the amount of time we have to look.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 10:26:00 pm »

I recently was playing some LCS.  After I had 5 or so sleepers I decided to go ahead and see what the end game simulation was like.  After I typed in the liberal phrase, the game just crashed.  When I started the game back up, it showed the highscores list where I had won in 2015 apprently.  I tried it again with a brand new game, and it just crashed and the high score didnt show my new losers.

Also, I was unable to promote anybody.  Are there some prerequsites to promotion?  I did try with some juice 20+ guys, but nothing seemed to happen at all...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 01:23:00 am »

People can't be promoted past comrade or whatever.  Was that it?  That means they know the leader.

Was there a save for the crash?

Demon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 10:42:00 am »

Yeah, they knew the leader.  I didn't realise that was the issue here.  Is there any way to keep some structure if the leader goes to jail??  I thought that's what the promotions would do.  

I don't have that save anymore.  I'll go ahead and play around with ti later today and try to duplicate it, then email it to you.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 11:36:00 am »

I think that was one of those things that got buried on the to-do, or we were still all discussing it.  For now, hell...  what were promotions for?  It seems like you'd want the tree to be as deep as possibly, so you lose fewer people when an intermediate guy gets snatched, and the cops have to work harder to get to the top of your organization.  Maybe I've forgotten a positive benefit of it.  If your members aren't selfish (ie they want to be recognized and take on more responsibilities), then maybe it doesn't make sense.

Demon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 04:17:00 pm »

It seems to crash if you just start a game and go straight to disband.  I just did it again, and the highscore list reports that the liberal crime squad was scattered in January, 2022.  Does that mean I lost?  I'm quite confused about this disbanding stuff!  Isnt it supposed to show you the evolution of the laws and such?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 07:21:00 pm »

The disband thing just has your squad wait constantly.  They can't be caught, but you don't do anything new.  It is meant to let your sleepers work, but if you don't have any, you'll just lose.  I guess it doesn't seem to be showing the outcome in a very friendly way.  It's another one of those things that needs tweaking, like lots of other stuff in the game.

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 11:11:00 am »

How to promote people? I might be quite inobservant for missing it, but I haven't found it  :(

Gilith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 07:01:00 am »

while checking out the source (it's quite confusing, BTW) I found this:
(game.cpp, function passmonth)
//DO EMPHASIS OF SITE EVENTS
int vpower,val;
for(int v=0;v<VIEWNUM;v++)
{
 val=newspaper_topicwork[v];  //!!!!
 if(LCSrandom(100)<writingpower)val++;
 if(LCSrandom(1000)<writingpower)val++;
 if(LCSrandom(10000)<writingpower)val++;
 if(val>newspaper_topicwork[v])
     val=newspaper_topicwork[v];  //!!!!!!!
 vpower=power*val;
 if(vpower>0)
 {
   change_public_opinion(v,vpower,1,0);
 }
}

so basically you set val to 'something', then do some random increasing, then if it's greater than 'something' (probably is, but it doesn't matter anyway), set it back. clearly a bug, check this out.
still, this game is cool :]

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 09:43:00 am »

How to promote people? I might be quite inobservant for missing it, but I haven't found it...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 07:34:00 pm »

Whoops.  Yeah, you'd either want the top bit to be val=0;, or get rid of the second one.  I haven't looked at it in so long I don't know which way I meant to have it.  Both are probably fine.

You can promote people from that command chain screen, wherever it is, as long as they aren't under the founder already.

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 05:16:00 am »

How do I get to the command chain screen? Am I just stupid? I've actually finished the game once but I can't for the life of me realize where the CC screen is...

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 07:35:00 am »

[R]eview and reorganize Liberals from the main menu. There, at the bottom reads "Press U to Promote Liberals"

That's what Toad meant with the Command Chain screen.

There you can see every Liberal's contact (that's the one who recruited him/her). If it's not the founder, you can promote him to a higher contact.

You probably know this, but if the contact dies, the people under him get disbanded. Thus it might be a good idea to always promote everyone to contact the founder.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 08:07:00 am »

any way to stop ppl from going away if the founder is sent to the prison?
Pages: [1] 2