Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Corin's Mystery Massacre (spoilers)  (Read 1715 times)

Vengeful Donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Corin's Mystery Massacre (spoilers)
« on: December 20, 2007, 01:49:00 am »

Ok. here is what I think i know so far.

-Protect the bouncing commas
-Capture enemy generators
-Link them to your generators by placing them on the dots that appear a knight move away from your generators
-Your bouncing commas generate power
-Shooting enemies generates power
-destroy all enemies to fight the sector boss
-the next sector is harder

code:

Build command      Function
Q                   weapon
W                   turret
E                   basic soldier
A                   wall
D                   general
Z                   flier (will attack on its own)
C                   upgrade (one of several)

There are three kinds of upgrades.
1. Attack power (yellow triangles)
2. Defense (red diamonds) (i might have the attack and defense mixed up)
3. Leadership (multicolored yen symbols)

The leadership applies the special attributes of that color to your units - possibly more so to your generals than your fliers.

Quote from: Toady

Black (flashing gray) -- steals life
Dark Blue - I'm really not sure, maybe a melee damage bonus given the names
Dark Green - melee poison I think, hit people take extra damage over time
Dark Cyan - temp speed bursts at random intervals
Dark Red - immolation (fire damage during combat, possibly a small range to it)
Dark Magenta - life draining at a distance, I think, maybe
Brown - extra hit points
Light Gray - ranged bullet weapon
Dark Gray - armor
Light Blue - I'm really not sure, maybe a melee damage bonus given the names
Light Green - regeneration
Light Cyan - permanent speed bonus
Yellow - electrical field (like immolation)
White - heal nearby units

It is possible to make a unit that flashes a different color by using linked generators, but I haven't found the benefit of this.
Also, toady said that the auxiliary colors for the weapon don't make a difference.

If anyone else is playing this game, please help me out on this  :)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Corin's Mystery Massacre (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 03:14:00 am »

The colors that the unit flashes are indicative of the imparted powers from that list above.  So a unit can start with up to 5 colors, in addition to any levels from your leadership levels, and multiples of the same color add more of that bonus.  I don't remember if the main generator imparts an extra color level or not.

[ December 20, 2007: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 11:50:00 pm »

Okay, here's my wisdom of corin.

Play Rush Mechanics (or the other cyan knights). Their default weapons will give your own soldiers a short speed boost when you go all friendly fire. Then the goal is to clear as many screens as fast as possible when you start.
Retrieve enemy generators as first priority, buy your weapon and take out any opposition that threatens your base yourself. When you hit the first enemy generator you can't steal or destroy on your own, go back, buy a soldier, and accelerate them along, taking out any walls and newly spawned enemies in the way. If you move fast enough, you can have a large buffer of clear space around your base before facing any real opposition. When the first real attack comes, switch to buying and placing towers, and then more troops.
In the mid-game, if you're reasonably careful about not dying, you can switch to the flame weapon or one of the other big area attacks to help deal with the large ooze waves. Later when there are a lot of enemy fliers you probably want to downgrade to something less hazardous, so when you die suddenly you don't take out half your own base by mistake.
With a bit of practice, you can clear the first couple of levels quite comfortably like this. Getting much further though... is hard. Even the Toad's only played the game about half way through, I think.

X

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 10:22:00 am »

there is a !! symbol on the map (i think it is something to steal) but when i walk over it, it doesn't move! Can someone tell me why?

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 10:44:00 am »

Those are enemy bases. They generate the soldiers, and the only way to destroy them is to have your own troops attack them.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »

How many mega-bosses are there?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 06:21:00 am »

I can't get any of this!
I move my thingy next to the boxes and they move with me, but when I press buttons, nothing happens. Then some funny creeps start flooding the map.

Sometimes I see two boxes at the side of the screen, and then I can't move until I press X, and then I drop all my boxes too. And they don't really help, bexaue the creeps just walk over them.

EDIT: No, wait, I got it. It's pretty simple, actually. Thanks anyways.

[ January 01, 2008: Message edited by: Dwarfaholic ]

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 02:17:00 pm »

For some reason today I had a dream of playing the graphical version of Corin, even though I haven't been playing this game for several years. So I started it up and couldn't even remember how to drop stuff or that I can shoot with the main guy. Well, at least I didn't dream of playing some sub-game, that would be really horrible.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 09:05:00 pm »

What does light magenta do?  In my last game, I had a TON of it.  It looked like light magenta soldiers emitted magenta puffs of something every once in a while.  Poison gas?  Does its weapon have an area effect?  My shots made a puff too when I hit enemies.  That's the only undocumented color in that list...

I don't know if this is accurate, but it looked like when my generators got stolen back, they got turned the color of the attacking enemy.  Could this be a useful tactic when you want to stock up on white or light cyan?  Dump your less-useful generators on one sacrificial node, next to some white enemies, and then reclaim them later?

Seems like when your citizens die, you lose power of that color.  Accurate?  Means that if you ever want ANY power of that color you've only got one of, you'd better bury it in some safe base.

It seemed to me that having two bases is better than having one, because it splits up the enemies into more managable groups.  Maybe this is only true early on, when surrounding each generator with towers is sufficient?

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 10:15:00 pm »

Yeah, it's an area attack if I remember.

Yeah, the generators change color, and you can use that, I think.

I don't remember you losing power from dead civilians, but your civilians are the ones generating power (every time a little comma or whatever comes out of the top or one, you get a point), so you want to keep the citizens of your favorite colors alive.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 05:05:00 pm »

Just noticed that light red isn't documented either.

Hmm...I could swear that I saw my power levels for one color oscillating between 1 and 2 occasionally, when I had that color on the front lines and without spending anything.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it certainly seemed like I was losing power somehow.

Got to level 3 this time before throwing in the towel. This is a very time consuming game!

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ralje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 10:48:00 pm »

My base at the second stage
 :)

[ February 01, 2008: Message edited by: Ralje ]

I>"When god gives you lemons, YOU FIND A NEW GOD" - Pt

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 08:45:00 pm »

Man, level four is nearly impossible. There's just too many bases you have to contend with at once, even if you have nearly maxed out leadership in all areas (which gives you SUPER SOLDIERS who can easily decimate enemy troops and buildings.)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 03:17:41 pm »

I know this is a two year Necro, but I just wanted to say thanks a ton. I am gonna try this game again now.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Choose username

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 06:36:32 pm »

I've never gotten more than a few minutes into the second stage, but the first stage is a breeze once you start to spam fliers. I probably need to focus more on upgrades and not burning my settlement down with the fire attack.