Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LCS Ideas  (Read 814 times)

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

LCS Ideas
« on: May 08, 2005, 11:19:00 am »

After dwarf fortress (take all the time you need), how about adding, fixing, and whatnot, to LCS a little? I had a few ideas, mostly about the hierchy structure and game modes.

First of all, a solid viewable hierchy tree. You look at it and see a horizontal tree of who recruited who and what type they are (sleeper, in court, etc) in some nice colours. Secondly, a way to move people up and down on this hierchy, like designating new leaders. Example: Mr.A recruits Mr.B, Mr.B recruits Mr.C, Mr.B says "you now work under Mr.A, not me" to Mr.C.

About new game modes, I have three ideas.

Newbiemode: No severs and no headshots on friendly side of a combat.
Assaultmode: This makes the primary goal of the game combat, and not converting ppl.
lcS: Instead of starting with a single founder, you start with 1 squad of them, 6 very angry liberals ready to recruit in the name of liberalism.

Well that's about it, but some sort of medical skill would be nice too  :)

Re: LCS Ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 01:24:00 am »

come on, humour the fool and he goes away (usually) instead of sitting there, all alone and sad thinking that nobody likes him enough to answer  :(

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 11:41:00 pm »

I noticed a conspicuous lack of Dwarfs in your post.  Therefore, I decided that it was not worth answering.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 12:07:00 pm »

Dwarves?  Was somebody writing a game with dwarves in it?  I thought they were doing math stuff, and other math, and math presentations and writing math papers.  Isn't this a math discussion board?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 04:53:00 pm »

I found a nifty little equation the other day. n(n-1)/2 = number of relationships possible in a group, where n is the number of people in that group.

^.^ Don't mind me, I'm actually starting to *gasp* enjoy math.

Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 01:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Dwarves?  Was somebody writing a game with dwarves in it?  I thought they were doing math stuff, and other math, and math presentations and writing math papers.  Isn't this a math discussion board?</STRONG>
"Math Fortress?"  Hmm.  It has potental.  Can you keep your variables from being integrated by the dark armies of differential calculus?  Derive constants out of the harsh, polynomial curves that define your mountain, then have your little 'n's and 'x's assemble them into equations capable of stopping the logarithmic threat.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 07:07:00 am »

And yet my topic has been unanswered, and the question on how to promote ppl in the other topic is unanswered as well... Well xept for Aquillion. He 'kinda' replied to my post...

On a side note, your jokes were funny.

About Eagleon's equation. It doesn't match real life. God knows how advanced or simplified the relationship structure of a group of ppl can be, and if you assume a group of n=50 ppl will stick to 1 partner only, won't that mean n / 2 = #ofrelationships while n = 51 would be n(n-1)/2...

Why do I get the feeling somewhere in my logic there is a deep fundamental error? Please be so kind to point it out.

[EDIT:] I have learned from a trusted source that, in fact, god DOESN'T know how advanced or simple the relationship structure of a group can be. He hasn't even had 1 date for crying out loud!

[EDIT2:] I just figured out the fundamental error in my logic, please disregard the part where I say the formula is wrong, while it is, in fact, quite right... I think... While my formula is prolly all wrong. God is still a fool that cannot find a date though.

[ May 12, 2005: Message edited by: Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Reinc ]

[ May 12, 2005: Message edited by: Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Reinc ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 11:07:00 am »

Yeah, that formula is a special case of "n choose k".  In general if you want to find all the ways of picking k things out of a group of n things, you have the formula:

n!/[(n-k)!k!]

where the ! is factorial, ie

n! = n*(n-1)*(n-2)*...*3*2

If you plug in k=2, you get n(n-1)/2.

--

That hierarchy tree and promotion thing is in the game -- you were suggesting how to make it look nicer and more informative?  You can't demote people since once Mr. C knows about Mr. A, he can give that info after being tortured by the police.  This is what the hierarchy shows you -- who knows what.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!