Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LCS Suggestion, WIn 98 and Thanks!  (Read 1578 times)

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
LCS Suggestion, WIn 98 and Thanks!
« on: December 23, 2007, 11:11:00 am »

Well, hehe, I replied a little later than I would’ve wanted to but at least I wrote the decent reply had thought of... Well, This Pre-Christmas week was a little bit crazy but now I’ve finished everything I had to do in the inmidiate time so I could sink myself into the pleasures of Liberalism and Crime  :)
-The interrogation mode!!! Wow! (even thought I havent be able to work it out yet)
- And rearrainging the interfaces with the abilities always visible, That makes it much more fun because you can act in consequence.  -
- Awesome recruiting mode, it takes longer and its far more real than building an army of transients, crack heads, prostitutes and highschool dropouts in one day.  And the get Gun Feature, its great!! But youll have to check out the enabled buttons to press because right now I can press the h in the screen were you can offer them to do community service even though the option is not there and make him buy a weapon.  Also, id rather have the original “This guy is not LCS material send him home” option with the letter h and not c, because it can get mixed when youre a pressing a lot of recruited guys to get a weapon, It happened to me because Im a fast presser  ;). Oh! And the Someone’s ahead message comes real handy too, I never miss important people now.
- THANKS for the conservative replies to topics, it makes it so much funnier to be able to talk to Conservatives and receive comments from moderates instead of just “No.” <Turns>. When I first read from a moderate College Student “People deserve to die” it was superb.  
- Great Alarm System Of Massive Response... Scary Thought.

(I haven’t played enough for a decent review, Couldn’t manage to get a sleeper... douh!)
I WONDER:
-Sleepers can enter squads as in the previous versions?
-f they do. What happens when they rescue or convert someone?
-Where is theyre new homebase? If its like in the previous versions the new homebase
-should be the sleepers place and then the police wont raid them there, is that fixed?
-How does the chain of command exactly work now? It was so frustrating before, that you lost your entire squad even if Your leader went to jail for a month.
-I got to be  a  Prisoner for life and it just hung out there as if triying to solve the resolution of a Disband, but it never reached a conclussion (15 minutes waiting) so I guess it just hung in some way.

Here are the bugs I remember encountering....
BUG:
-It says no arm but if you review the character you can see that it has a damaged leg...

Well.... Happy Christmas and Merry Holidays (mmmmm) Or whatever conservatives say at this time of year ([BUY! BUY! BUY]).

Alexhans                        

PS1: Please look over the compatibility problem with Win 98, it’s the system of my home PC so... help!

PS2: By the way, I don’t know if you ever considered making a translation of the game but if you ever want a spanish translation of the game: I’m your man.  Just give me a dump text file with the in-game texts  and voila! I’ll translate them.  Can be a bit hard to translate some jokes thought...  ;)
PS3: I’m surely forgetting about something....

“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS Suggestion, WIn 98 and Thanks!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 09:01:00 pm »

What about someone Remembers poor me!!! I still can`t play in Win 98..... Someone said it was related with the curses new version.... Any ideas... Any help?  Thanks anyway...

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 01:31:00 am »

Great ideas! Thank you for posting! And it makes me very happy that you've enjoyed many of the changes. Unfortunately, I don't -know- for sure what the problem with Windows 98 is now. And it's impossible for me to test because I don't have it.  :(

1. Chain of command -is- less frustrating. Firstly because people go into hiding if they have decent juice and come back when your person gets out of prison, and secondly, I don't know if it's in the latest built release, but one of the last things I did before my latest idle period was make it so you could get a NEW founder if your original is killed, if you have people a level down with very high juice! It works, I tested it! I just don't know if it's in the latest release I built.

2. It is possible to align the issues in such a way that you never resolve after a disband/life prison situation. Unfortunately. This is obviously Not Working As Intended.

3. Spanish translation would be cool, but there's text EVERYWHERE. And it's strewn throughout the code. Unfortunately there aren't any easy to pass out text files. I'd totally groove on a translation if it were easy. You're welcome to take a look at the source code if you'd like, but unless you're a programmer, I expect you'll find it pretty scary. I think there's a link somewhere in one of these posts to the source, I don't have it handy.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 01:01:00 pm »

Ok.  The only one that needs translation is the game.cpp right? I know very little about programming in C++, but I can figure a way around it.  Im gonna just translate the phrases I find Between "'s. The thing is that I don't know wich compiler did you use... Could tell me where to get it?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 11:13:00 pm »

Nowadays there's some 40 different files that would need translations... note that the latest code would be on the Sourceforge SVN, not what you can get off of the Bay12Games site (that's from before I started working on it). I use Microsoft Visual Studio to compile with, which isn't free.

Edit: Sorry, I don't wish to sound like I'm trying to persuade you not to work on it. I don't have a lot of free time to help out like I normally would though. Other times I might do some work to try to see if I could make it easier, point you to it, offer to compile the code when you get the translation done, I dunno, lots of things I could do to help if I had time to kick around.  :(

[ January 25, 2008: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 01:05:00 am »

I too feel the need to thank Jonathan for his continued hard work on LCS.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 01:10:00 am »

Does this mean you are working on LCS again Jonathan S. Fox? If so I support your continued improvement of this game. It is one of the greatest simulations ever made and maintained.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 11:05:00 am »

Hey... Is there a possibility that LCS is going to run under windows 98 ??? Or I've been waiting in vain.   :(

X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 05:57:00 pm »

There's no reason it shouldn't, as you said, the Tarn/Kevin version works fine. It's likely when Grundee or someone was poking the code, they borked summat. Anyway, I have a win98 box, so depending on how busy Jonathan is with other things, could perhaps help him fix it.

X

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 09:39:00 pm »

Well... there's some hope at last...   :roll:

If you ever have time to fix it.  I would really apreciate it since I haven't be able to to play the new LCS version since... since... OH god...  :eek:       I cant remember!!!  
The problem with Win 98 is that it works but it doesnt seem to recognize the tapping of letters so you have to type them very fast or many times making the experience funnier than watching the growth of plants.

Thanks anyway