Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Interrupted by" - causing lag issues.  (Read 5522 times)

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Interrupted by" - causing lag issues.
« on: October 05, 2008, 06:27:15 pm »

I am getting a very problemattic bug.  I was hovering between 80-95 fps with my current 35 dwarves, very happy with that then in a blink it went to 35.  it stayed there.  not sure why at first.  looked around a lot.  noticed i kept getting an interrupted by horse msg.  I went to look at the recruit bring interrupted and found him lying in a bed 2 z levels down from the surface (built fort on flat forest).  Horses were about 40 squares away 2 z levels above seperated by a moat.

here is my message
Adil Adantosed.  Recruit cancels rest:  Interrupted by Horse. x476.

Adil, like i said, is in a bed (not his, he seemed to have grabbed the first bed he came across).  The horses are far far away 2 z levels up.  His squad is currently on duty and his mates are out trying to kill the horses.  Is the problem that because his squad can see the horses, he can see that horses even tho he isn't nearby?  Sort of a strange ESP in a squad so that the whole squad can target an enemy from anywhere if one attacks a single dwarf in the squad?

I also looked up this thread but it didnt seem to solve my problem:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=21724.0

any ideas?
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: "Interrupted by" - causing lag issues.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 06:56:02 am »

Interesting theory.
I've had a few similar cases. But not with wildlife.
At the end of some goblin ambushes, when wounded dwarves have already reached beds, and the last goblins are not yet (entirely) dead, I would get some messages of Urist Mcwounded cancels rest: interrupted by goblin Lasher, with said goblin being miles away and z-levels up.
But they would last only until the goblin in question was dead, or left the map.
Come to speak of it, I never have these messages anymore. I think the gobbo's die too fast now and don't come anywere near my fortress. My wrestlers like their patrols.

Best solution for you would be to get out there and kill those pesky horses.

As for your theory: I'm not entirely sure, but I think there were also civilians who suffered the interrupt-rest-syndrome.

Maybe it is a form of dwarven shellshock

New theory:
The game remembers the spot where the dwarf was injured ( or started the rest job), and uses this instead of the dwarf's actual position for an interrupt call.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 06:59:09 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 07:56:22 pm »

I read some other posts which suggested the bed he was using was part of the problem (after 10000x messages) I finally got a carpenter down there to "q + x" the bed out and the messages instantly stopped.  NO IDEA WHY, but it seems to force the injured dwarf to move and then the bug stops and my FPS went back to 95 from 35, and which point I went YAY!  I disbanded the dwarf from his unit first but that didnt help.  I "a" assinged the bed he was in his instead of someone elses, but that didnt help.  I chased the horses around, but was apparently out of ammo so, that was a usless cause and, of course, no help.  There was another thread which suggested destroying the bed to force the soldier to move instead of rest and "viola".  It worked. 

end of bug..errrr....line

GMcG
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 09:18:04 pm »

it's because fear ignores Z-levels, i'd think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 09:02:34 am »

Or is fear is sphere? The same case with Workshops' noises?

Oh well. Noises. Now, I imagine a monster whanever I hear noises, off topic but SAVE ME LEG!!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 09:13:55 am »

it's because fear ignores Z-levels, i'd think.

Do not be afraid. It is just a Z-level!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Fuzzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 04:40:00 pm »

Huh. FWIW, someone posted on the wiki about an eyeless dwarf who was constantly starting from phantom goblins around him. The way the guy described it, this happened before he was put in the bed. I'll crosspost this post to there (and there to here) to see if we can make for a meeting of the minds. The idea of a dwarf who lost his eyes in battle getting phantom impressions of his last sight on Earth draws peculiarly to me, but the idea of it being due to a bug with the bed probably makes more sense overall.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 04:38:08 am »

Probably the same as Bug 957.  Resting dwarves seem to have this interrupt problem when anything is wherever.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 01:33:25 am »

Maybe it didn't record his new location with respect to fear because he was carried to bed?  Might be something funky with the carried by another code.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?