Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Magma tells  (Read 4342 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma tells
« on: October 05, 2008, 06:54:15 pm »

For all the vets out there, are there any tells to finding a magma pipe that isn't exposed? I'm in an area that has obsidian all over, but no pipe as of yet, which is odd considering the 'f'inder gaurenteed a pipe here.  Any help would be appreciated.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma tells
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 07:22:23 pm »

Your sig is godly.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 07:26:18 pm »

Unfortunately, you can usually tell a submerged pipe by the cap of obsidian on top of it, but since your entire area is obsidian...

There is always the old "lava tubes occur at the center of map tiles" effect. If your embark area is 3x3, dig a shaft down at the center of each of those 9 sections, and you should hit the pipe with one of them. Mind you don't drop the miner into the pipe.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 08:47:19 pm »

Yeah, vertical shafts (up/down stairs work well) are the way to go. I try to remember which tile of the map the pipe was supposed to have been in, and aim for that. I think the most I've had to dig was three shafts, and it often works on the first try. It's far and away the best method, since you'll only have to dig out a few squares total for each shaft you make, instead of digging long exploratory tunnels.

That said, you can always dig down to the bottom of the map and create a grid. That'll guarantee you find it, although it takes more effort and you generally don't want to actually break into it down there.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 09:17:59 pm »

Yeah, vertical shafts (up/down stairs work well) are the way to go. I try to remember which tile of the map the pipe was supposed to have been in, and aim for that. I think the most I've had to dig was three shafts, and it often works on the first try. It's far and away the best method, since you'll only have to dig out a few squares total for each shaft you make, instead of digging long exploratory tunnels.

That said, you can always dig down to the bottom of the map and create a grid. That'll guarantee you find it, although it takes more effort and you generally don't want to actually break into it down there.

I would celebrate having a map-wide grid of magma, personally.  This would mean that I could place my magma smelters and such just about anywhere I wanted to, though they would have to be at the second-to-bottom level.
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 03:03:49 am »

Since the bottom level is not likely to be obsidian, you can probably find the magma vent without breaching it, and then confirm with a vertical shaft from above.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 03:41:59 am »

. I try to remember which tile of the map the pipe was supposed to have been in, and aim for that. I think the most I've had to dig was three shafts, and it often works on the first try. It's far and away the best method, since you'll only have to dig out a few squares total for each shaft you make, instead of digging long exploratory tunnels.

Doesn't work to well when i forget where it is :)

Still, you can, say, eliminate looking on any brook tiles (tiles referring to regional tiles, their something like 30*30 local tiles), or on any tiles with other features (underground rivers, caves)
Magma is overrated.

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 05:08:40 am »

Team of cheesemakers + picks + lots of doors make the grid on the bottom level a decent way of finding a magma vent.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 05:14:17 am »

Warm stone.   It extends beyond the obsidian ring.  You don't even have to get close to breaching the pipe.

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 07:04:03 am »

Or Fire snakes, if you are very observant. They will spawn in the tunnels that are close to the pipe/pool, even if you haven't found it.

Fire snakes show up as yellow dots.

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 08:48:12 am »

Didn't the patch notes awhile back say that all magma pipes were supposed to be exposed to the surface? What ever happened to that  ???

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 09:00:16 am »

If you can find any sharp cliffs, thats a good sign.
A while back, I embarked on a map with a hidden pipe, which stopped about three z levels below the surface. There were no visible signs for it anywhere, except for a single patch of flat ground surrounded on 3 sides by 3 z-level cliffs. Only cliffs I've seen in the new versions, away from rivers.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 04:39:42 pm »

I have found a Super Secret technique to uncover the EXACT LOCATION of any hidden stuff without using any third party programs.  I'm going to spoiler it because it might be considered an exploit or glitch and I don't want to ruin anyone's game experience.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 04:46:13 pm »

I have found a Super Secret technique to uncover the EXACT LOCATION of any hidden stuff without using any third party programs.  I'm going to spoiler it because it might be considered an exploit or glitch and I don't want to ruin anyone's game experience.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Interesting discovery.  That'll make it easier to remember what tiles have stuff in them if when I forget which tile has the HFS and which has the Bottomless Pit.
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 04:58:19 pm »

Didn't the patch notes awhile back say that all magma pipes were supposed to be exposed to the surface? What ever happened to that  ???

You might be thinking of: all magma pipes are exposed to the local map in the embark screen. In the past, underground magma couldn't be seen without a 3rd-party utility, Regional Prospector.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: [1] 2