Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You know what the best thing about this game is?  (Read 1720 times)

Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Justice City Recovery Center
You know what the best thing about this game is?
« on: October 05, 2008, 07:27:33 pm »

It punishes you for treating it like a video game. Every time I attempt something using videogame meta-logic something horrible and unexpected happens. I'll give an example:

Just now I had accidentally mined out an area I had intended to channel out from above, so the roof was still there. Rather than micromanage and safely remove the roof, I just channeled around the outside and let the rest fall. No one in real life would do it that way, but it seemed the fastest and I figured it'd be no problem.

Well it collapsed right down through the roof of my fort, all the way through down to the lowest level. Pretty much like how I should have expected it to if I had been taking the game seriously. It ended up crushing a guy who was calmly eating his dinner in the dining room on the lowest level. The table he was using must have been crushed into dust, because it's nowhere to be seen.

Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Justice City Recovery Center
Re: You know what the best thing about this game is?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 07:33:54 pm »

Hahaha. Also it turns out that my best armorsmith is trapped in part of the fortress by the gap the cave in caused. Luckily he's trapped in the part with the primary food and booze stockpiles.

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 07:36:31 pm »

A lot of the times, it's more fun to play the game haphazardly, without planning things out... then you have to deal with engineering disasters, like cave-ins or flooding. I've always found trying to block off flooding and save at least half your fort to be very fun.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 08:13:10 pm »

In my first fort I thought some goblins were nice, I was wrong. :(
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 04:55:53 pm »

Lol! Excellent story and summary of DF, Charlemagne. :)
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 07:31:04 pm »

It punishes you for treating it like a video game. Every time I attempt something using videogame meta-logic something horrible and unexpected happens. I'll give an example:

Just now I had accidentally mined out an area I had intended to channel out from above, so the roof was still there. Rather than micromanage and safely remove the roof, I just channeled around the outside and let the rest fall. No one in real life would do it that way, but it seemed the fastest and I figured it'd be no problem.

Well it collapsed right down through the roof of my fort, all the way through down to the lowest level. Pretty much like how I should have expected it to if I had been taking the game seriously. It ended up crushing a guy who was calmly eating his dinner in the dining room on the lowest level. The table he was using must have been crushed into dust, because it's nowhere to be seen.

Did just about the same thing the other day.

On the plus side, my 10-level pit into magma is finished now.

I am short of miners, though.
"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 07:35:51 pm »

in another note I was shocked by the level of knoc on effects. having a relatively similar problem to you, expect wanting to destroy every floor below I carved every part of the edge of save onetile. Then as I wanted to save miners I built a support on this one; built a floor tile on top of that support hooked up to a lever and pulled. the floor took out the only connection to the side and the entire thing collapsed. it was pretty impressive.