Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Floating goblin preventing further sieges  (Read 3840 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Floating goblin preventing further sieges
« on: October 06, 2008, 11:23:45 am »

So there's a bug in the current version where creatures that are flying after being hit will occasionally float in midair instead of falling to the ground, with the blue background.  Forever.  I've got a goblin doing this on my map and he's been there for about five in-game years.  It's not really a problem except for one thing -- it seems like DF doesn't allow new enemies to enter the map until all the old ones are gone.  The goblin was an ambusher, not a sieger, but I had regular attacks up until that point, and NOTHING after that, not even kobolds.

So I've been fucking around with memory hacking programs to see if I can get rid of him.  The main problem is that the game treats thrown/flying creatures in a weird way -- the tile they show up in doesn't have the creature occupancy flag set, etc.  I can build a wall in his tile, dump magma in it, create a block of ice, and nothing happens.  He just stays there.

I tried using Tweak + Warp to teleport him all sorts of horrible places, such as the bottom of a magma flow and the bottom of a chasm.  The warp moved him to the correct tile but nothing happened.  I tried slamming him under a bridge atom-smasher style.  Nothing.  Heal/hurt have no visible effect.

So here's where I'm at: I can move him wherever I want, but I can't get RID of him.

Any ideas?  I don't care how far out it is, I'm at my wits' end here.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 11:27:14 am by Footkerchief »

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Floating goblin preventing further sieges
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 12:00:29 pm »

You could use companion and just give him the dead tags.  If that doesn't work, you could try using it to give him endless bleeding or mangle all his limbs, and other fun stuff.
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 12:13:05 pm »

Haa... The one problem I have any expertise with, as it were.

The problem starts if you save while the creature is in mid-flight.  My guess being that the program dumps all the memory related to the flying actions, but the creature is still flagged as airborne.  And then of course, airborne creatures are utterly immune to anything, no matter what.  Unless there's some way to turn off the flying tag with Tweak or Companion (shouldn't there be?) there's just no way to get rid of him.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 12:24:43 pm »

You could use companion and just give him the dead tags.  If that doesn't work, you could try using it to give him endless bleeding or mangle all his limbs, and other fun stuff.

Hadn't tried Companion yet, I'll do that and report back.  Thanks.

The problem starts if you save while the creature is in mid-flight.  My guess being that the program dumps all the memory related to the flying actions, but the creature is still flagged as airborne.  And then of course, airborne creatures are utterly immune to anything, no matter what.  Unless there's some way to turn off the flying tag with Tweak or Companion (shouldn't there be?) there's just no way to get rid of him.

That's similar, but I don't think I triggered it by saving in mid-flight -- I'm 90% sure he was stuck BEFORE I saved.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 12:33:59 pm »

Try setting off a cave-in above him.  It'll make you feel better.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 12:59:42 pm »

Try setting off a cave-in above him.  It'll make you feel better.

I had tried this and it was satisfying but unsuccessful.

HOWEVER!

Dwarf Companion did it!  Strangely enough, he wasn't marked as flying.  Messing around with that and the dead bit didn't change anything, so I just unchecked all of the bits and he promptly fell to the ground and died!

Now we'll see if the ambushes come back.  Thanks Golgath!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 02:23:49 pm »

And the ambushes are back!  Score!

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 02:12:16 am »

Glad that helped.  Something to keep in mind if I have that problem, as well.
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 09:40:02 am »

That's similar, but I don't think I triggered it by saving in mid-flight -- I'm 90% sure he was stuck BEFORE I saved.

Correct, I also had this bug, and I wasn't saving my game at all.