Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: MUDs  (Read 7580 times)

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
Re: MUDs
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2008, 01:48:51 pm »

The newbie friendliness of SK is so awesome, when you die you lose your stuff and never get it back. Because you are too poor at fighting and whatever to ever re-equip.

That is made of win!
Losing something when you die and being weak in the beginning is pretty standard in any roleplaying game.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2008, 04:27:58 pm »

Besides, since you're a newbie, how difficult can it be to get the same gear from somewhere else?

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2008, 01:05:14 pm »

I've died a couple times in Shattered Kingdoms.  It's not hard to get more equipment.  If you head to the nearest Inn, most PCs are willing to give you some stuff  as charity.  Getting enough gold to buy some basic equipment is pretty easy too.  Most cities have a sewer with rats and other things that drop money.

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2008, 07:53:44 pm »

Thanks..

I got my stuff back, but really its just another DIKU

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2008, 12:01:32 am »

I used to play SK every evening at one time. I forgot why I stopped, there was something about it I didn't like. Maybe I got tired of the grinding or something, but it was a good game.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Emerald

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2008, 02:29:07 am »

Lumin-

Stumbled across this while trying to find the Dartmud Forums.  I was amazed to see my character's name mentioned, it made my day. Sorry to hear your not coming back, but thanks for visiting! :)

-Emerald (from Dartmud)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2008, 08:38:23 am »

Ah, I found a really nice MUD, so I guess I have to tell you guys about it. Armageddon MUD. www.armageddon.org.

Heh, it's my type of game, just because it's tough. I'm not sure if most of you will like it because it's roleplaying enforced, but it's not nearly as anal as most other RPIs where you kill training dummies for XP but are forced to roleplay it. The roleplaying actually enhances the game, making boring stuff like chopping wood, etc more interesting. It's brutally difficult, but considering DF's "losing is fun" philosophy, most of you would enjoy that. I think there's a lot of the other appealing things I found in DF are in there too. Combat isn't DF ultra-realistic, but it's always exciting.

I actually like how my hunter was chased by dogs and had to sleep in a tree for a game-day to heal.  Sleeping unguarded is highly discouraged in the game, because someone could sneak up on you and chop your head off, but I thought he was dead anyway. He ran out of food, water, and money, and had to hunt some animals in the forest for food. Semi-healed and dehydrated, he went back to face the dogs between the cliffs. There was only one wounded dog left waiting there, so he killed it, skinned it, ate the raw meat, and got safely back.

The coolest thing about all that was that an imm was watching me all along, who emailed me the next day, and she told me to write down what my character was thinking at the time to make it more exciting for me and for all the other people watching.

Now that's what a RPG should feel like.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2008, 02:18:28 pm »

My experience with armageddon was bad. It's bland both in color and in text content and it's -fucking- slow.

The other elements of the game, including the toughness and the whole RPI scenario are good. For me they weren't good enough to counter the slowness of progression.

But well, if you like slow, you might like it.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2008, 02:36:44 pm »

Yeah, I agree that the interface is very annoying, especially since it's roleplaying intensive, and you'll have a lot of people emoting and talking, filling the screen with grey text. I dunno, I got used to it. DF's original ASCII interface was certainly more difficult to get used to.

But IMHO, it's only slow in the first day or so of making your character, before he gets a job, while his skills are practically at zero. The game really starts once your char has a job and a purpose in life.

Speaking of that, the other character died a rather intriguing death, but I made a new character who was a merchant-toolcrafter (probably the most useless of roles to take). Since my character didn't want people to know she was a useless, rich merchant, she would hang around the taverns telling people that she was a hunter. Someone then gave her an actual job as a hunter, where she got to know and socialize with a bunch of other hunters and her naturally high agility actually made her look like she was a great hunter, despite not having combat skills.

Some time after that, some guy asked her to join him in a quick hunt, fighting small things. They went, both of them were noobs, but not realizing it, they fought a simple hawk. That guy was too stubborn to run, but my char ran away, scarred that a friend had (permanently) died. Now she's gone from being a social creature, to a manic-depressive small lady, who's obsessed with training to be a fighter. I found that all to be very amusing, but can't post it on the Arm boards, because it's going to be a spoiler :P

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2008, 03:34:25 pm »

I'd be interested in trying out some of these MUDs, but I'd prefer it if I could do it with another player or two.  Would anyone be interested in creating a character with me on Dartmud?

If so, just let me know.  I won't be back online for another 9 or so hours from this post, however.
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2008, 04:07:54 pm »

I'd be interested in trying out some of these MUDs, but I'd prefer it if I could do it with another player or two.  Would anyone be interested in creating a character with me on Dartmud?

If so, just let me know.  I won't be back online for another 9 or so hours from this post, however.

I would, but I've already committed a lot to Shattered Kingdoms, and don't really want to start from scratch at the moment.

Maybe you should try a few different MUDs and see which one you like the best first.  Maybe you'll like SK more than Dartmud.

Honestly, if you are going for an Uber-RP, Ultra-realistic, MUD, I would suggest Accursed Lands.  I think it does an even better job than Dartmud.  I also think it has the best syntax system of any MUD.  It will recognize just about any command.  It was actually built by people who help build DartMud to begin with.  More Info

I haven't played Armageddon, so I can't really judge it.  I'm sort of turned off by the futuristic setting though (my own opinion), but I've heard good things about it.

If you want a good hybrid between hack-n-slash and good RP, then I suggest Shattered Kingdoms.  Not to mention, it has the best room descriptions I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 04:22:01 pm by lumin »

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2008, 11:47:25 pm »

Primarily, I'm interested in the Dartmud classless and level-free system.  It's been a while since I've actually played a MUD for any length of time recently, and previous bad experiences make me want to aim for something a bit different.

Edit: Taking more of a look at Accursed Lands, it seems to have potential, though I'd really rather not dive into such a thing with hardly a clue.  Once again, I'd like to try these things out with another player, mostly because playing MUDs alone is completely pointless in my mind.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 11:52:08 pm by Golgath »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2008, 01:11:57 pm »

Golgath, I think the whole purpose of playing MUDs is to meet people online :P Most MUDs are quite friendly, though, despite what I rambled about earlier, Armageddon is definitely not a newbie one. But in most of them, I've met someone right there in the tavern, or whatever the meeting place was, formed a party with him/her, then went around the place, had a conversation, killed things, went back to the tavern, drank ale, collapsed, woke up and killed more things. Yeah, all good.

I haven't played Armageddon, so I can't really judge it.  I'm sort of turned off by the futuristic setting though (my own opinion), but I've heard good things about it.
Um.. the only thing futuristic about it is the name. It's really set in a primitive setting in a desert world, where most things are made of bone and obsidian. It's very similar to the Dark Sun setting. Most definitely fun. Every day, I intend to log in for about 10 minutes, just to grind up some stats, practice, buy stuff, etc, and end up playing it for 4 hours straight with a major plot effect on my characters.

Accursed Lands does look interesting, though. It seems like one of those many good games out there that I skip because I was wary why so few people were playing it :P

EDIT: It is one of those games I once skipped over. There were two of those which I loved, this was one of them.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 01:21:48 pm by Muz »

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2008, 02:36:49 pm »

I understand what you mean, Muz.  I'm just trying to avoid having to fight solo in a MUD, so if I could arrange to team up with someone else it would be nice.  Chances are I'll try it, but once again these things sort of die without other people to play it with.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]