Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A new set of movies  (Read 3298 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
A new set of movies
« on: September 15, 2005, 11:10:00 pm »

Some new movies

I finally got around to making a (somewhat crappy) player tonight.  The files are compressed, so if you want to watch frame by frame and skip around, the interface is somewhat inconvenient right now until I index everything better.  On the upside, the movies are WAY longer.  I put up 4 movies showing me testing the game up until the first summer.  I found one bug (shown at the end of the first movie), fixed it, and kept on going.  You'll notice some of the interfaces have overflows and so on.  That's because the game isn't done!

There are lots of little things to notice as it goes along...

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
Re: A new set of movies
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 09:39:00 am »

Thanks Toad!!    :D

Svirfneblim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 01:00:00 pm »

Wow, it is gonna be great.
I can wait years more.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 05:00:00 pm »

Holy crap, I take back every time I've muttered to myself that you're not working on Armok.  :)

This looks awesome. Haha, I really want to know what purring maggots are, though. xD

Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 10:04:00 pm »

I haven't written the description yet, so I don't even know.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 11:42:00 pm »

I put 2 more up to finish that game -- it crashed when I tried to use the furnace.  I recently changed over how the map works, and there are still some wrinkles I'm ironing out.  

In any case, the 2 new movies have more interesting stuff.  The first ends with a fishing bug that I've figured out, and the second ends with the crash.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 12:22:00 am »

I grabbed a World of Warcraft promotional poster and made this.  Don't tell them.

[ September 17, 2005: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 01:37:00 am »

http://tknorn.ytmnd.com/
Too much time on my hands.
Music, Ballpoint

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 02:44:00 am »

Noooo!  Norndarnòrn dies?  You bastard, I hadn't seen the latest episodes yet.  Way to spoil them for me!

Norndarnòrn was my favorate character, too.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 10:18:00 am »

The choking penalty for getting caught in water for a second is still way too high...

X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 02:10:00 pm »

I refused to play at one point unless the toad stopped drowning my miners.

X

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 08:16:00 pm »

4 more movies...  I kept that same game going for a while.  Found a few more bugs.  More innocent life is lost (even worse this time).  Some new things are done (though there are some slow stretches of drear).

Since you'll be suffering the hours of basic debugging along with me, want any more buttons on of the player?  Certain things can be done easily now, certain things can't.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2005, 11:20:00 pm »

It'd be nice to be able to pause playback or start normal playback in frame-by-frame mode. If that can't be done, a way to go back to where you were before in normal play; It seems alt-tab doesn't function in fullscreen mode (at least for me), so if you need to do something else on the computer you have to quit and watch through the thing again to get to the part you were at, and I feel nervous getting up and getting a drink for fear that I might miss something cool.  :) This isn't that big of a deal, but you asked.  :) Really awesome.
Music, Ballpoint

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005, 11:12:00 am »

Okay, there's a new player up with:

Switch between play modes.
Fast-forward/rewind in frame-by-frame mode.
Help toggle in frame-by-frame mode.
Going to the end of a section will go to the next section instead of going to the beginning of the same section.

It should only take a few seconds to get to the parts you want to see now and then go through them frame by frame.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2005, 01:48:00 pm »

So, in a quick runthrough:  The dwarves traded almost all of their hard-earned goods for a trained bear in a cage, then completely forgot about it until it died of thirst, and finally put it to rest in a huge stone coffin in their vault alongside honored dead dwarves of old.  (Well, one honored dead dwarf of old.)

Also, what was the point of using all those levers and gates to flood that first room?  I got that the second one was to use the mud and silt for cave-farming, but was the first one just a mistake?  What did Norndarnòrn die for, Toady?  What did Norndarnòrn die for?

Could the player dam a river entirely, and use gates to control it?  Could they set up an elaborate system of gates to flood their entrance hall at the flip of a switch, drowning any invaders as they step into the caves?

...oh, yeah, one other thing.  The road-creation interface looked a little awkward.  Do players have to build roads one segment at a time all the way to the edge of the map in order to attract merchants?  Can they just extend it to order one big long road segment to be built at once, or order the dwarves to make a road from point X to point X?

[ September 18, 2005: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

Pages: [1] 2 3