Any tips on wht this skill is for?  :)

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
Re: Cooking
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 06:06:00 pm »

My guess is that it's used for preparing meals, a process also known as cooking.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Pseudointellectual

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 06:12:00 pm »

Hilarious.

See, I'm playing this game called "Liberal Crime Squad." Within it, characters have a skill called "Cooking." Preparing meals is, as far as I can tell, not a choosable action.

See where I'm going with this here?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 08:36:00 pm »

Something drug-related maybe?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 08:43:00 pm »

In one of the posts about the alpha, Jonathan talks about cooking making food last longer in a siege.  It may not be fully implemented yet if at all. It may also influence your ability to convert cooks when torturing i mean enlightening them.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Wisq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 05:07:00 pm »

Was curious about this, so I checked the source.  (Obviously, that makes this a spoiler, but that's the whole nature of the question.)

Non-sieged properties aside from the homeless shelter all require money to keep your liberals fed.  Each level of cooking (based on the highest available cooking skill) reduces that by roughly 10%, down to $1/day or less.

As far as I can tell, cooking isn't exercised by anything, so aside from teaching, you're stuck with what you got.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 07:32:00 pm »

I always kind of assumed it had something to do with selling brownies...

Hey I know let's make a bake sale with the normal non-magical kind a legal way to raise funds. That'll go well with my army of hippies selling t-shirts and asking passerbys for spare change. (I am terrible at this game.)

[ February 13, 2008: Message edited by: Solara ]

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 10:15:00 pm »

I've toyed with the idea of making cooking factor into selling brownies. It wouldn't be hard at all to make it do so.

The cooking effect on upkeep costs is very new in the latest version. I'll probably increase upkeep slightly -- maybe from $1/day per person to $3/day or so. The $1 value was intentionally picked low just to get it in place. Also, cooking skill should probably get exercised by this, rather than being static even though you're cooking for the squad every day.