Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A new set of movies  (Read 3311 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: A new set of movies
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2005, 06:12:00 pm »

8 more movies up!  Some fun stuff.  Some boring hauling to start though.  In between movies, while working on a bug, I had everybody working 10 times as fast -- and there ended up being WAY more fish than you can normally catch.  So they had to place all these things in barrels for a while.  There's also some annoying bugs with the metal bars that I haven't got yet.  They have a lot of trouble minting coins.

Okay, the weird squiggly things were probably the water fall.  The cave river has side rivers that either flow out and down a water fall, or down a waterfall and in -- the kind you haven't seen are more interesting, since you can see the waterfall mist, and build a meetinghall so dwarves can get the happiness bonus from the mist.

The bear burial was intentional, since it was tame.  This one might seem strange, since they obvious didn't care about the bear that much -- however, the new movies have a charming sequence with a new pet, and a burial will be more appropriate.  I might have tame animals that aren't owned by a dwarf thrown in the refuse heap instead.  Also, the reason I think the bear was left to die was because I never set the "Animal Care" profession flag on my dwarves.  My mistake, he he he.

Hrm...  full game...  well, it takes an hour a two a year, and that slows down as you have more to do and have to pause a little more.  Things start getting more interesting around year 5, and you could have a full game that then winds its way down around year 15 or 20 maybe.  So you might spend a week on it, or a lot longer, or die in your first winter.  It isn't balanced out yet though, so this is all provisional.

Yes, the first levers/gates thing was just a mistake.  I forgot that if the channel runs into an open room, and specifically if the water can get out on to the floor and back into the channel, then the floodgate no longer matters to its flow.  I fixed that in the next room.  I'm planning to make some tutorial things to make the rules more clear.  If you aren't careful, you can drown your whole cave.  The miner died for you.  So you could see.

I haven't thought about damming the river.  Certainly feasible -- it could start overflowing its banks like you had placed an aqueduct everywhere (I haven't done aqueducts in the movies yet).  This might piss off the various river dwellers that can attack you.  Not that my to-do list is short of anything, he he he.

So the dam is not implemented, but the elaborate system thingy is.  What you saw was kind of the tip of the iceberg -- you can set it up how you like.  There's a pressure plate that you can set up like a lever -- instead of having to pull it, any bad guy triggers it.  Pressure plates can be linked to floodgates, doors, chains, various things.  So you could have the pressure plate linked to a door that hides a tame chained bear (they feed them).  Or to a floodgate that fills the room with water.  You can link a lever to the same gate to close the door back up, so your dwarves can haul the bodies out.  You just have to be careful with this stuff -- make sure to place channels near the door they walk in or it will drown your whole cave.

Yeah, the road creation is lame, and time consuming.  I just used the standard interface for simplicity, but something else is certainly in order.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2005, 11:01:00 pm »

4 more movies...  using a lot of space and bandwidth...

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2005, 02:55:00 am »

If the bandwidth and space get to be a problem, you could host them temporarily at a free file-hosting service, like this one:

http://www.megaupload.com/

...free, you don't even need to register, sort of like  http://www.imageshack.us/ .  Files can be up to 250 mb (!), there's a 45-second delay to download, and of course there are ads, though they're not too obnoxious.  Files are stored until they've gone untouched for 30 days.  Download speeds are a little on the slow side, but fine for small archives like these.  It could be a good place to put movies when you initially release them, so your server doesn't take the hit of dozens of people rushing to get the latest Dwarf film.

...plus, even if you don't use it, us players can use it to share Dwarf movies with each other after the game is released.  So it can't hurt to mention it.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2005, 08:35:00 am »

Thanks, though I wonder if it will still be around in 2033.

Yeah, possibly because I posted it on rgra, my bandwidth use last night was half of the month's total so far.  I've still got a lot left though.  Just need to keep my eye on it.

I might use something like this for that birthday game I'm writing.  It'll be over 10MB,  and it has graphics and sound, so it'll probably be downloaded more.

Prospero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2005, 11:21:00 am »

As one of those hapless mortals coming from rgra, I just have to say that this is looking like a stonkingly good game (always been a fan of UnReal World and survival-type games of all sorts)  :) Will look forward to playing it!
 Prospero - a mostly harmless mage of Dejenol
Lead Alchemist of the Return to Dejenol Project
Maintainer of Prosper

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2005, 12:18:00 pm »

If you build it, he will come.

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2005, 05:46:00 pm »

I can't help but notice that you could save bandwidth by posting the game and then we could make our own movies...     :D

I can't stand all that mess of
'.,`.'
`,.'.`
''.`',
,`',.'
so I changed all those into periods.  Why did you need so many ways of depicting ground?  Is there really any significance?

[ September 19, 2005: Message edited by: Demon ]

Gezol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2005, 09:01:00 pm »

Hi,

I haven't posted before, but I've been following the progress of Dwarf Fortress for a while, and this is looking like it's going to be the best game I've played in a long time...  
So, now that I've watched all the movies, a few questions:

That whole thing with Darålez the trapper... man. Was the fact that no one tried to rescue him when he was knocked out a bug? And when he starved to death in his room- was that supposed to happen? It seems like they should find a faster way to commit suicide, if they're that depressed...

Can enemies poison wells? When you built the four stone-fall traps around the well, I was wondering if that was why.

Was there anything specific which caused the miasma in the refuse dump, or is that just what happens when you have a lot of garbage in one room?

And finally, from the movies, the game looks a lot more complete than I thought it would. Is it mostly lots of little features and bug fixes that are left, or are there still some big core features that haven't been added? How different should the final game be from what's in the movies?

Well, that's all I can think of. I can't wait... (though judging by that mention of 2033, it sounds like that's what I'm going to be doing for quite a while...)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2005, 01:31:00 am »

Well, I'd hope that they'd give up eating and drinking long enough to rescue somebody.  So it's a bug in that sense.  All those guys gave up halfway through to go take care of themselves.

Melancholy is a kind of wasting mental illness in this game.  They can also go insane and tear off their clothes and jump in the river.  Or go berserk.

The four stone traps were to prevent intruders crawling up from the well.

When I first noticed the miasma, I tried to highlight the cause -- a rotten large roach.  Anything that rots underground causes the miasma.

There are a number of sort of...  core easter egg things that need to go in.  The final game will have more stuff that you can see when you get a little farther along.  Also lots of little features and bug fixes.  But it is moving along...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2005, 10:07:00 am »

Ah, I see Demon's edit now.  So I think you mentioned that before.  We all have our personal preferences.  The ,.'` are purely cosmetic, but to me the periods make it look like a manicured lawn.  The " is a herb/crop/bush that has a chance of yielding some good stuff.  Fortunately for you, there's one little function called randomgroundtile().  It would be easy to just put in an option in the options menu that makes that function return either one of the 4 random tiles, or a period...  or maybe whatever you want.  If you change the curses.bmp file, your text will have weird punctuation.

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2005, 05:11:00 pm »

Yeah, the punctuation was strange but I felt it was a small price to pay to be able to tell what's going on.  When you do release the game, I'd be greatful if that was an option so I could tell important plants from grass and so on.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2005, 10:38:00 pm »

Hrm, well you can try this:

Mega Upload 23 to 25

Fuzzpilz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://asdruihofvnuaeiorsz7iasnodfiaz7sd.com
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2005, 11:40:00 pm »

Hello there. Looks like this is going to be a very nice game. I've been watching it since... uh... only a few days, actually, but I'm already getting impatient because I'm a jerk. The game looks plenty interesting already, even without the huge easter omelette you're hinting at. (Dwarves, it seems, certainly don't waste time on not drinking - alcoholics from the cradle to the grave!)

On another possibly rude note, that megauploads site is pretty annoying... would you mind if I mirrored the movies? I don't know exactly how many downloaders you tend to get at once, but experience shows that my server could probably handle them. Traffic's not a problem (not under a few hundred GB anyway), I get far more free than I need anyway.

[ September 21, 2005: Message edited by: Fuzzpilz ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2005, 12:27:00 am »

Well, I'm sort of a computer tard at heart, so how would I get you the movies?  Just an email attachment?  Then you'd put them up for everybody and email me back a link?  The traffic shouldn't be anything close to a hundred GB.  I don't get a lot of traffic, but I don't have a lot of bandwidth either.

I didn't notice until I made the movie that there were baby alcoholics...

Fuzzpilz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://asdruihofvnuaeiorsz7iasnodfiaz7sd.com
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2005, 12:42:00 am »

Preferably I'll just give you an FTP account - I'll mail you the details when I've set it up.

For now, the files are here.

Edit: Sent - I hope it doesn't get spamtrapped or something.

[ September 21, 2005: Message edited by: Fuzzpilz ]

Pages: 1 [2] 3