Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: overlordFT help thread.  (Read 1792 times)

overlordFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
overlordFT help thread.
« on: October 07, 2008, 05:38:33 am »

Many aspects of this game confuse me, so rather then spam you with needless thread, I'll post all my question in one.

Ok, i have a little problem.

yer see. I want an anvil. The anvil is too expensive. I have 5 legendary and champion wrestlers.

It would be much better for everyone if i was to have that anvil for free. Now, i want to arrange a little "Accident", next time the traders come 'round.

How do i kill the traders and steal their goodies?

EchoP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: overlordFT help thread.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 06:09:31 am »

You can just highlight what you want and press 's' to seize it. However, this can't be done on dwarves and lowers relations with that race.
See: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Trade#Seizing_items

overlordFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 07:19:00 am »

oh, thanks.

Another question, how do i loot corpses?

My wrestlers have taken down some kobolds.

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 07:20:56 am »

Well..there are several ways.
First you could try seizing it.Just like EchoP said.

Or you could go for a more glitched way.Wait for a pack of traders to arrive,go into the stockpile menu;anvils;designate one of them to be dumped.Naturaly youīll need an accesiable garbage dump.One f your idling dwarfs will wander to the unit holding the anvil and forcefully dump the selected anvil in your garbage dump.Donīt forget to reclaim it.

Finaly you could build traps that do friendly fire;ie. magma/watertraps or,in my humble opinion the simpliest method Upwards spikes rigged to a lever,which is set to "pull the lever" repediatly as soon as a caravan closes up to your trade depot.

*edit:Corpses are looted automaticly,everything they drop belongs to you the moment they hit the dirt.ALso they should be moved to your stockpile by default,unless
1.you donīt have a matching stockpile.
2.DF autoforbids them (changeable via accessing the (o)ptions ingame,then checking the (F)orbidding-rules.Anyway;simply reclaim the loot and they are yours for the taking
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 07:25:50 am by Liwjatan »

overlordFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 07:36:26 am »

Ok, thanks.

But my dwarves don't go out to the corpse after it dies even if i stiwtch forbidden off.

Is it a bug?

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 08:05:43 am »

No, because the forbid options are set at the time of the units death.

NEW corpses will not be set to forbidden, but the old corpses are still set as such.

You'll need to find the corpses with the 'k'  button, and then (f)Claim the objects you want.

(alternatively, you can use the mass claim/forbid too,  under (d)esignate->(b)  something...   I can't remember exactly what it is, but it should be fairly obvious once you find the screen.   It's like designating things for mining or tree cutting, except it's items to be claimed or forbidden (or hidden, or melted.  VERY useful menu it is))

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 08:13:00 am »

I accidentally stumbled on a method for this last night. I goofed and didn't bring an axe with me on embark (I know, pretty dumb). After trading with the first caravan who didn't bring one either, I abandoned. While they were still in the depot.

When reclaming, all of the trader's items were left in the depot and they were still hanging around the map. But the items were just forbidden, so I could easily reclaim them. Cheating, I know - but this is a fun fort for me as my last 10 or so have been dismal failures.
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 08:39:32 am »

easier to just disassemble the trade depot while their goods are in it.

You get everything, and the merchants don't even care nor notice.

overlordFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 08:58:27 am »

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm mass-producing turtle and bone crafts so murder won't be nessescery come autuam.

I have yet another n00b question.

How do i use the Dungeon master?What is he for and how do iget him to do what he is for.

I remember a friend telling me he trained dragons, ohh happy day!

Also, here is a video show9ng off my current fortress:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=d9d24fafed61dd20ab1eab3e9fa335caae07d749a1a2348b

What do you think of my fortress and where can i improve?

overlordFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 09:35:27 am »

Another question.

How do i make a burial chamber, an office or a prison?

I'm dorry for bugging you all, its just i really want to find out these things so i can further my fortresses success.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 09:37:15 am »

How do i use the Dungeon master?What is he for and how do iget him to do what he is for.

Have you ever tried looking at the wiki for example?
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Dungeon_master

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 09:37:57 am »

The wiki is invaluable. I usually have it open while playing DF, just in case I need it.
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 12:19:04 pm »

Wiki is good for specific questions.

As for designating rooms, each type of room is created from a certain kind of building (usually furniture)

Burial Chambers come from coffins, offices come from chairs, etc.

Just like setting up orders at workshops.  (q)uestion what it can do, and you shall be rewarded!