Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Postclasped: A Change in Mandates  (Read 883 times)

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Postclasped: A Change in Mandates
« on: October 07, 2008, 11:12:39 pm »

Postclasped: A Change in Mandates

Introduction: It’s funny how some ideas come about.  Working away at my latest fortress, the first one to be truly successful, I suddenly realized this map has incredible potential for an awesome project, my first attempt at a mega construction in this game.  And then it struck me that this would be the perfect opportunity to attempt telling a story in the process.  I’m not a great writer but I hope to entertain you.  With that, I present, Postclasped, a story beginning with an established fortress.

5th of Felsite, 313: From the spring status report of Mayor Edem Orshalor, 3 years after founding

I’ve been going over the latest report from our bookkeeper, who finally managed to get the counts up to a point where we are confident in the inventory of materials we have available.  Here are the results as of this morning:

Things are going quite well, our wealth is rising quite nicely.  We’ve got skilled labor covering most of the key jobs, although some of them could stand to get a bit more training, particularly for our metalworking crews.  Several dwarves have created artifacts of stunning quality.  A couple of them are even useful.  Our workshops are well organized, but rather than describing them, you should really just go check out the latest drawing the archives:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3660-postclasped

Considering our mandate from the king was to establish a mining and metal forging program, the first 3 years have been an utter disaster thanks to the idiots in the royal surveying crew that picked this site out.  When we were picked to settle here they assured us that a large magma source could be found in this river valley.  Of course, when we arrive, there’s no sign of a magma pipe, not even an obsidian cap on the surface.  To make matters worse, there is an open chasm in the area and the batmen have been constantly harassing us. 

It took the full first year of our fortress just to locate the magma, we finally realized that unnaturally deep depression in the northeast corner of our work area was from the magma receding over 17 floors down into the ground causing a cave in as it went.  It’s absurdly far from the place those morons told us to set up shop.  Just to give you an idea, here’s an artists rendition of the region:

So of course, by the time our metalworkers managed to walk to the magma source, they would be turning around to go grab some lunch, go to bed or a party.  And it would take a huge amount of manpower to move the fortress or to even keep supplies down in the pits for our metalworkers.   Also, stuffing them off in the depths of the fort is the fastest way I can think of to cause a rebellion.  So it takes us another year to figure out what to do about it.  Fortunately, our request to mountainhome for engineering help brought three talented mechanics into the area. 

It took the entire third year to build a pumping system to bring the magma up 17 floors from the magma pipe and through the cave system to the main fortress where our metal shops are now getting fired up.  I still can’t believe how much power they’re getting out of those waterwheels.  Honestly, it’s a miracle that nobody got burned alive during the project.  Actually, the only deaths we’ve had so far have been from goblin ambushes.  5 in total, mostly people caught outside trying to cut down enough trees to build the massive axles required to transfer the power down to the deepest pumping station.

An average magma transfer channel, there are 17 of these, varying in size.  In total I believe we consumed 120 trees to build the axles and waterwheels necessary for this pumping project. 

Regardless, we’ve finally gotten ourselves into a position to start metal production in full force, hopefully soon enough to send our first shipment back with the fall caravan.  Now, to go greet the new immigrants that one of our lookouts just spotted.

6th of Felsite, 313: From the personal journal of Mayor Edem Orshalor

I cannot believe this insanity!!  Among the newest immigrants is a Dungeonmaster.  A fine, upstanding dwarf I met prior to my departure.  Fortunately, he’s not the problem.  The problem is, he brought with him a letter from the King, who apparently has lost his bloody mind.  Apparently, our program of metal production is to be reduced in scope, and instead we are required to begin drawing up plans for a new mountain home.  Which from the sounds of thing may be necessary, since the air in the capital has obviously broken the Kings brain since he wants to move out here.  This is a bloody mining colony, not a capital city. 

What’s worse, we not only need to acquire sufficient wealth to attract him here, but he has also ordered the construction of massive stone structures outdoors to show our power.  Considering we bolted underground in our first couple days thanks to the chasm, most of the dwarves here, myself included haven’t seen the sun for 3 years, which is as it should be.  He hasn’t even said what kind of projects he’d like to see, so I suppose I’d better start figuring out how to read the kings mind before he decides to send some idiot nobles to whip us into shape. 

You know, I think we only have one trained mason at the moment.  Sigh, I knew the peace and quiet here was too good to be true. 

Note: So here’s the situation, I’ve got a couple of crazy plans for this quiet river valley, but if you have an idea let me know.  Poor old Edem Orshalor needs all the help he can get.  I’ll post the first set of plans within the week, once I finish polishing them off.