Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LCS Raids  (Read 1440 times)

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
LCS Raids
« on: January 19, 2008, 01:48:00 pm »

Two questions about police/army raids in LCS..

1: Do they ever stop? Ive beaten them back about 20 times and they keep on coming.

2: How do you destroy tanks? I've tried swords, MP5's  Ar15's M16's Shotguns, bare hands, and it hits 'to no effect' every time.

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: LCS Raids
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 01:57:00 pm »

*imagines political manic uselessly attacking a tank whit a sword*  :roll:
*imagines said manic chop the barrel of the tank whit the sword*  :roll:   :roll:
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 02:33:00 pm »

It is the sword of Morfeinger.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 07:29:00 pm »

I just realized my flawed grammar makes it sound like it was the thank that had the sword, not the manic... *imagines that*
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 11:50:00 pm »

Alright the raids never stop unless you can seriously drop your heat level.  The problem lies in the fact that once you start getting tanks and have fought them off for a while your heat goes up faster then it can disperse.  Try renting out both high end apartments, and send your highest heat people to there while splitting them up, send others with lower heat to the other various safe houses with buisness fronts and the other upgrades, send anyone who doesn't have any heat to a cheap apartment/homeless shelter, and try and keep people moving and not doing any activity that increases heat.  Alternativly you could continue to slaughter the raids for up to 12 body armor and heavy weapons a raid plus corresponding clips.  Once everyone is decked out with m16/shotgun/m4 plus body armor, you can make 15000 plus a month selling the clothes and extra ammo and guns. I recommend making a macro with autohotkey to rearm you people though.
 As for the tank, no way currently exists to damage it.  I've been playing around with various addresses for weapons and i've tried every one on it.  Nothing scratched it with all stats and weapons skills at 1000.  (Yes i know thats a bit excessive but I was bored one day.  Even at those levels you still die pretty fast to a squad of agents with AK's though so the game is very well balanced lol.)  The only thing you can do is arm tank traps and hope they don't dismantle them.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 05:36:00 pm »

Reading this, it sounds like your dodging skill (or whatever it was called -- been a few months since I played) no longer has an effect against firearms.  That pretty much restricts you to using throwaway entry level thugs for raids, since anyone with appreciable skill is too important to risk in pretty much any combat at all.

Also, since I'm talking about combat anyway.  Tasers, dude.

[ January 31, 2008: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 08:22:00 pm »

With ranged weapons, neither character's agility is taken into account when determining damage and hit chance. They're "the great equalizer" in this regard. With melee weapons, you do have an advantage if your character has a greater agility than theirs. The key thing that will make experienced characters much more survivable is that their higher health stat will make them much harder to kill. Giving them body armor helps as well.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »

By the way... to respond to the original post, the attacks don't stop, and tanks are invulnerable. There aren't any anti-tank weapons in the game -- just swords and small arms. Once there's a way to purchase smuggled weapons at black market premiums, it will become possible to add RPGs or something, but I'd have to put a lot of thought into the way the game world would respond to the LCS using rockets to blow up tanks before doing that.

Additionally, at the moment the game eschews explosives entirely, which gives it a very distinctive feel -- bombs are generally the weapon of choice for undermanned insurgent political campaigns/terrorists, since they give a lot of bang for your manpower. Realistically, an LCS group wouldn't shoot up the police headquarters, they'd figure out a way to bomb it, causing maximum collateral damage. But I'm not sure that's the game we're going for.

One of my goals is to make raids less common early on and more serious later on. They're already crippling for many groups, but if you can fight them off at the highest level, you're pretty much set for the game, and they're just a repeated irritation. One thing they should do is lay siege to your compound regardless of whether you fortified for it, and just bomb it repeatedly. They already bomb the compound during sieges, but right now, they don't always lay siege, and you can just fight right away. Then, when you attempt to escape/engage, they can sit outside the compound with their tanks and just try to shell anything that comes out the door.

Other things needed for raids include negotiators for sieges, and some kind of way to lift the siege from the outside -- whether by something like bringing in a force of gangsters to attack the police station, or just attacking the sieging force itself.

One thing that would be interesting is if buildings that get shelled by tanks or rocketed by aerial units would be devastated and unable to function as safehouses in the future. When things are calm and the economy is good these could be cleaned up and repaired over time. This could go hand in hand with the ability to knock certain buildings off-line with a strong attack, like attacking a sweatshop and doing so much damage that they have to close down, which is another feature I'd like to see. Abandoned factory safehouses could be reclaimed by corporations that buy the property (perhaps sending inspectors first, who would stumble across any safehouse there), while attacks on certain buildings could cause them to become abandoned, and eventually be available for making into a safehouse. But crushing local businesses that employ people could make the LCS become very unpopular with the general public. Lots of possibilities here.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Earthquake Damage:
<STRONG>Also, since I'm talking about combat anyway.  Tasers, dude.</STRONG>

and/or saps.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.