Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28

Author Topic: Chasing the elusive Mermaid  (Read 461212 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing the elusive Mermaid
« Reply #180 on: September 04, 2009, 03:38:01 am »

Is god just an asshole to the merpeople for no reason? Why make her do all that to get one, when normal humans don't have to work for them at all? Especially when she already made the ultimate sacrifice?

More like he favors people. Humans are special and are the only critters on the planet that start with souls, everyone else has to earn theirs.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 04, 2009, 06:56:11 am »

Is god just an asshole to the merpeople for no reason? Why make her do all that to get one, when normal humans don't have to work for them at all? Especially when she already made the ultimate sacrifice?

More like he favors people. Humans are special and are the only critters on the planet that start with souls, everyone else has to earn theirs.
Well me being an Atheist I don't believe in the soul... There's simply no evidence of a soul anywhere in the raws, and I've never seen the [SOUL] tag. :)
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 04, 2009, 07:01:09 am »

This is just in the context of the The Little Mermaid, you understand.

Metaphysically, the soul is a concept: the formative principle that is in all being (singular, yes). So a chair has a soul just as much as you or I do - chair-ness.

I love philosophy. ;D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 04, 2009, 07:31:46 am »

Yeah; we're talking in the context of the Little Mermaid story. The people who came up with it believed that Humans, being special and human, got souls for free, while all the other creatures had to work for theirs.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 04, 2009, 07:42:12 am »

Yeah; we're talking in the context of the Little Mermaid story. The people who came up with it believed that Humans, being special and human, got souls for free, while all the other creatures had to work for theirs.
In the context of Dwarfiness I say it's unfair that any Mermaid be able to escape from being butchered by turning into sea foam.
How are we supposed to sell her bones now? :)
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 04, 2009, 09:08:24 am »

I know chasing merpeople has it's merits, but what about sea serpents and sea monsters? How deep do those things appear, and how much insanity must I muster to capture at least one.

Trapping a sea monster and placing it in a tomb to guard the entrance(bridge over water) would be... entertaining.

I looked in the raws and noticed a sea monster's population number: 1. You can only find them on evil biomes I think.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 04, 2009, 09:09:03 am »

I know chasing merpeople has it's merits, but what about sea serpents and sea monsters? How deep do those things appear, and how much insanity must I muster to capture at least one.

Trapping a sea monster and placing it in a tomb to guard the entrance(bridge over water) would be... entertaining.

I looked in the raws and noticed a sea monster's population number: 1. You can only find them on evil biomes I think.

Awww. Another injustice in the raws to rectify...
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #187 on: September 04, 2009, 12:26:10 pm »

In the context of Dwarfiness I say it's unfair that any Mermaid be able to escape from being butchered by turning into sea foam.
We can always place the remains in a still and sell mermaid floats.

It's got a bitter salty taste to it, but dang, would it be of high value. Careful of the scales though, they can shred your throat, and have a texture of glass.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 04, 2009, 01:19:11 pm »

Wait. Population number? I don't remember what that one does offhand.

Also, yeah, I've never seen a sea monster, which is sad. And I suspect that DF merpeople are traditional mermaids, just like I strongly suspect certain HFS are basically balrogs.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 04, 2009, 01:22:14 pm »

Awww. Another injustice in the raws to rectify...
You can, however, increase the probability for them to appear at beaches and increase the cluster size. I forgot the token, but you can find it on the wiki.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 04, 2009, 03:03:13 pm »

Just to derail this again for a second...

The little mermaid dies a virgin. Her life SUCKS.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 04, 2009, 03:44:36 pm »

Just to derail this again for a second...

The little mermaid dies a virgin. Her life SUCKS.

We can always place the remains in a still and sell mermaid floats.

It's got a bitter salty taste to it, but dang, would it be of high value. Careful of the scales though, they can shred your throat, and have a texture of glass.
But she will be remembered :)

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 04, 2009, 07:48:19 pm »

She actually makes the journey with a bunch of other half-souls who also have to wander the earth. It's not a specific punishment/reward for her, but rather it's the generic trial to get into the Kingdom for all who are in her situation.

Also: the other mermaids have 300 years to live, then they're annihilated and turn into ocean foam. Yikes.
So THAT'S what they are talking about in FF1

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 04, 2009, 09:06:07 pm »

Wait. Population number? I don't remember what that one does offhand.

Also, yeah, I've never seen a sea monster, which is sad. And I suspect that DF merpeople are traditional mermaids, just like I strongly suspect certain HFS are basically balrogs.

It refers to how many critters are in the region as a whole.

Cluster number determines how many will 'spawn' on the map at a given time, Population number determines how many there are overall in a given biome. If i have a biome with 10 Rabbits in it, and there are 3 Rabbits on the map, when i kill those Rabbits the biome's population will drop to 7 rabbits. If i kill all the Rabbits, no more Rabbits will enter the map.

The populations also only breed in Worldgen, which is why long-running Fortresses can exhaust all the local wildlife.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 07, 2009, 03:38:19 pm »

This could be dangerous...

People could die from lack of air caused from laughing too much!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28