Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 28

Author Topic: Chasing the elusive Mermaid  (Read 458476 times)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing the elusive Mermaid
« Reply #360 on: January 29, 2014, 01:08:21 pm »

Just what did Toady change about the game?
I missed it.
Well, people like to say that after this thread the creatures that [CAN_LEARN] were made unbutcherable (with dwarven ethics) and mermaid raws no longer had value multiplier. (Elves, gobbos and humans could butchered back then as well, and in a fact dwarves did that automatically. Actually goblin bone crafts comprised the majority of non-rock trade goods. It's just that their value was rather low, so they never got that much attention.)

However the next version after this thread was huge release of .31.01 which was almost new game. The entire way of how creatures were represented in game has changed and the most of the tags responsible for mermaid phenomena became obsolete.
So, to me it seems that mermaid price was lost\revised in the process of complete re-factoring of raws. And the inability of butchering sentients was just a result of development of entity system. Unless someone has a quote of Toady on the mermaid business.

But nevertheless, mermaids don't have anything interesting about them anymore, the most effective means  of capturing oceanic creatures were developed in whale-hunting thread and new morality horizons were reached since then in other well-known threads. Thus this thread has now only a historical value and belongs to the archive aka pages that aren't first. It's not like they get erased around here.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 01:11:57 pm by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #361 on: January 29, 2014, 02:20:04 pm »

this thread got Toady to change the game specifically for it.
Yeah I'm gonna need a source from Toady substantiating this wild ass claim before I believe it.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 29, 2014, 02:32:47 pm »

this thread got Toady to change the game specifically for it.
Yeah I'm gonna need a source from Toady substantiating this wild ass claim before I believe it.
I haven't seen a direct quote from Toady, but:
Quote from: Magmawiki
This is a moot point, however, as merpeople are intelligent enough that dwarves refuse to butcher them, making merperson genocide in the name of profit absolutely useless; although, nothing is stopping you from committing merperson genocide just for the fun of it. This happened because the game's creator read the thread and was sufficiently scared by the prospect.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #363 on: January 29, 2014, 02:40:09 pm »

That is just conjecture from someone who updated the wiki page.

Can't you just set their bodies out until they rot and use the bones anyway? Either way it should just be a quick edit of the ethics file and back to merbutchery.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 26, 2014, 02:36:28 am »

Can't you just set their bodies out until they rot and use the bones anyway? Either way it should just be a quick edit of the ethics file and back to merbutchery.

In that case, why not just alter all creatures' raw entries to have arbitrarily high value value modifiers?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 27, 2014, 12:31:02 pm »

In that case, why not just alter all creatures' raw entries to have arbitrarily high value value modifiers?

They decompose into an unbutcherable skeleton.  To get bones (of anything that leaves a skeleton) without butchering, you need to kill them in a way that guarantees dismemberment.  Then only the body will become a skeleton while the limbs and head decompose into a skull and indivdual "bones."  This is how you can get the occasional goblin bone crafts/bolts.

And yeah, if you want to do this, add value multipliers in the raws.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #366 on: April 28, 2014, 10:22:32 am »

In my mind, changing the civ's ethics to allow something which should be possible is different from artificially inflating the value of the resulting good, but sure if you want to do that go for it.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 29, 2014, 03:29:39 pm »

I agree not all mods are the same, but a large part of the novelty of the original idea was that it was possible in completely unmodded DF.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 29, 2014, 10:06:18 pm »

In my mind, changing the civ's ethics to allow something which should be possible is different from artificially inflating the value of the resulting good, but sure if you want to do that go for it.
My internal modder is telling me 'because it would require a regen of the world for changes in entity.txt to take effect' but my everything else is saying 'stick with vanilla'.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #369 on: May 01, 2014, 02:32:36 pm »

My internal modder is telling me 'because it would require a regen of the world for changes in entity.txt to take effect' but my everything else is saying 'stick with vanilla'.
but... but... minced goblin cakes and unicorn steaks!

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 07, 2019, 04:35:33 pm »

What was the point of farming mermaids in the first place? Expensive bones? So what, you can make a 10x10 plot of quarry bushes and have infinite wealth forever with no effort. People really have to LARP this hard to convince themselves the game is challenging or interesting?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 07, 2019, 08:35:36 pm »

Probably because it's extravagantly boring to deliberately build a fantasy universe where cooked ferns are the predominant source of wealth equality.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 08, 2019, 12:40:33 am »

What was the point of farming mermaids in the first place? Expensive bones? So what, you can make a 10x10 plot of quarry bushes and have infinite wealth forever with no effort. People really have to LARP this hard to convince themselves the game is challenging or interesting?
Money was not the reason, it was an excuse. People farmed mermaids because they could.

Besides, the quarry bush roast and trap component exploits were only popularized after DF2010 came out, I think. They were somehow linked to the booze roast exploit, that much I remember: they appeared either when it became well-known, or when it became impossible due to early-DF2010 bugs. They weren't all that popular around the time this thread was started.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 12:45:26 am by HmH »

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 16, 2019, 05:14:56 am »

A certain human entity:Dwarf fortress is art!
Community(dwarves):*Constructs mermaid concentration camps so that one could harvest their bones*
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 16, 2019, 10:49:50 pm »

A certain human entity:Dwarf fortress is art!
Community(dwarves):*Constructs mermaid concentration camps so that one could harvest their bones*
Art demands sactifices.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 28