Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]

Author Topic: Chasing the elusive Mermaid  (Read 458500 times)

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing the elusive Mermaid
« Reply #405 on: April 20, 2022, 06:30:45 pm »

Probably because it's extravagantly boring to deliberately build a fantasy universe where cooked ferns are the predominant source of wealth equality.

Correction, the game is boring.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 21, 2022, 01:15:59 am »

there is a reason certain organic functions are not present in the game, and in truth any game that attempts realistic simulation of those functions is likely to attract the worst kind of person
Oxygen not Included has bodily functions and the associated fluids.

ONI only has poop and a catch-all "contaminated water" as byproducts of using the outhouse. Reproduction is purely by cloning, and sweat and spit and tears are all modeled less realistically than DF does.

I believe the only reason Oxygen Not Included doesn't have its own Mermaid Bones is because there are no notably intelligent things other than the Dupes which are far more useful alive and able. And I don't recall if there's any kind of butchery either. The worst I've witnessed is locking animals in tiny "processing" rooms and machine-feeding them.

Dupes can be told to attack Critters.  However, if one is intending to ranch Critters for Food, a far better Method is set up a System to auto-drop Eggs into an Evolution Chamber, which is a fancy Name for a Pit full of Water so that the Critter will drown upon hatching.

Quite dwarfish, really.

Iklistkel

• Bay Watcher
  • Give-me a dam pint of wine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 11, 2022, 05:06:58 pm »

I just heard about this thread. So apparently Dwarf Fortress in the past was a more fun game than nowadays, am I right? I wonder. I mean, Tarn could get around the situation by making the game harder instead of removing things from the game - making merpeople more powerful or faster in the water, or even sing a kind of magic song that makes dwarves sleep, anyway, making the value given to bones equal to or less than the effort required to get them. Not removing such a value. (yeah I understand that I can change raws by myself, but many people who came to play this times, don't. I'm just thinking about it)

I think varying the relationship between them and the dwarves would be enough, for example: a random event where at some point in history an dwarf met a mermaid and they became close, so that particular dwarves civilization becomes friendly to mermaids and they don't conflict. Dwarves are creatures of the earth and mermaids from the bottom of the sea. different languages, deaths and all sorts of problems are more than expected, aren't they? Even with dwarves ethics included.

Anyway, I'm late but yet, I wonder.

I wonder... I think there are a lot more wonderful things and possibilities in the old versions that have been removed in the new versions. In my opinion, this wealth of content should be maintained.

* sorry about my bad english writing
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 09:19:06 am by Iklistkel »
Iklistkel is just a crazy head made nickname.
Call me Balin ... and give me here that pint, let me full it up of
mushroom wine.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 11, 2022, 05:10:13 pm »

I think you're mistaken. The issue was that civilization ethics weren't yet implemented, and their implementation rendered what was going on in this thread, moot. The implementation wasn't done in regards to this thread. The value of their bones was reduced as well, sure, but that wasn't as significant as the ethics implementation that barred butchering sentients in the first place.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 12, 2022, 01:01:37 am »

It depends on your Playstyle.  If you want to make an Autogrinder for Bones so you have an endless stream of insanely high-Value Bone Crafts that Caravans struggle to carry away flooding your Fortress, then yes the unmodded Game is currently less fun.

If you want to revitalize a Dwarfen Kingdom, maybe even usher in the Age of Dwarfs, the Game has only gotten more fun.

Iklistkel

• Bay Watcher
  • Give-me a dam pint of wine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 14, 2022, 03:01:58 pm »

Why not both? (rhetorical). Both is better.
Iklistkel is just a crazy head made nickname.
Call me Balin ... and give me here that pint, let me full it up of
mushroom wine.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 17, 2022, 06:18:55 pm »

Why not both? (rhetorical). Both is better.

It isn't very hard to generate enough Goods to buy out Caravans, just harder to set up.  Clothing is the easiest, particularly if you manage to grab a GCS, but if you pick a Site with Clay or Sand then all you need is to get Magma up to the desired Level, build the requisite Magma Furnaces, and then you can practically generate Value from thin Air.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 17, 2022, 10:23:30 pm »

Or you can just cheese it all the way and become an SSD manufacturer:
- find silver (or iron, whichever comes first),
- dig up silver,
- melt silver,
- make silver serrated discs (SSDs),
- sell silver serrated discs,
- repeat until the sieges' sizes are to your liking.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]