Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28

Author Topic: Chasing the elusive Mermaid  (Read 461162 times)

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing the elusive Mermaid
« Reply #285 on: March 26, 2010, 05:31:22 pm »

Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McPicard has entered a martial trance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 26, 2010, 05:36:30 pm »

Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...
I needed a quote-sig and you supplied me with one. Thank you kind sir.

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 26, 2010, 05:47:11 pm »

I needed a quote-sig and you supplied me with one. Thank you kind sir.

Happy to be of service. *bow*
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

jellow belly

• Bay Watcher
  • deserter prinny
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 27, 2010, 04:00:35 am »

here's another (stupid) question
when you tame an animal it's automatically released from the cage isn't it (I'm not sure it's been more than a year already since I last took my time to tame wild creatures (kill them wild don't waste meat))
that would mean that you killed the poor merman by taming him
also it's not hard getting them into an artificial pool to breed, but how do you get them out to butcher them without killing the breeding couple (or harem, whichever way you swing)
The reward you get for digging holes is a bigger shovel.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #289 on: March 27, 2010, 09:04:07 am »

Mermaids can't be butchered, and unless I'm mistaken can't be tamed.  The only thing you can use them for are their (incredibly valuable) bones, and you can only get those by arranging for some mechanical means to separate the offspring from the adults, and then air-drown the offspring and let their bodies rot to bones.  I'd experiment with this, but I haven't been able to find an embark site with mermaids.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 27, 2010, 09:07:13 am »

Way I remember it, tamed animals remained in their cages until manually released.

how do you get them out to butcher them without killing the breeding couple

I guess you drain the pool and strain them through some cage traps. I haven't tried it, but it does make sense on the face of it.

and unless I'm mistaken can't be tamed.

Taming them is as easy as adding the [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] tag to them. Butchering them, however, is a whole different story. For all I know, their [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_SPEAK] tags might be all that's keeping one from butchering them, but I have yet to try such a thing.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 09:10:30 am by assimilateur »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #291 on: March 28, 2010, 09:42:52 pm »

After about a dozen tries, I have finally managed to create an embark site with mermaids/mermen.  Most of them actually spawned on land adjacent to the beach and promptly died, but if I can manage to capture a breeding population alive before they're all dead I might be able to pull this off.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 28, 2010, 10:42:44 pm »

Don't creatures not reproduce at all unless they have a [PET] tag?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 28, 2010, 11:05:25 pm »

Don't creatures not reproduce at all unless they have a [PET] tag?

As Hippos prove in a terrifying way, no.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 29, 2010, 12:22:55 pm »

well dump them into a 1x1 hole that's has a ramp near by then when one has a kid drain then cage the kid and either drop them 12-60 z levels for their bones or make a slaughter house out of weapon traps and water currents
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 29, 2010, 11:34:29 pm »

For all I know, their [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_SPEAK] tags might be all that's keeping one from butchering them, but I have yet to try such a thing.

I think it's just [can_speak], honestly.  Speaking creatures are generally prevented from being treated like livestock in a variety of different ways, exceptions being those that have specific tags, like the actual [pet] tag, even though no speaking creater has the pet tag in vanilla.  Toady also mentioned that in the new version, milking will be possible on any creature that doesn't have [can_speak]... presumably to prevent people from modding elven women to be milkable or the like.  (You know someone would...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 29, 2010, 11:46:26 pm »

Solution - Elven women can no longer speak.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 30, 2010, 03:46:39 am »

For all I know, their [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_SPEAK] tags might be all that's keeping one from butchering them, but I have yet to try such a thing.

I think it's just [can_speak], honestly.  Speaking creatures are generally prevented from being treated like livestock in a variety of different ways, exceptions being those that have specific tags, like the actual [pet] tag, even though no speaking creater has the pet tag in vanilla.  Toady also mentioned that in the new version, milking will be possible on any creature that doesn't have [can_speak]... presumably to prevent people from modding elven women to be milkable or the like.  (You know someone would...)

It's CAN_SPEAK, awhile back i modded Troglodytes to be tameable and trainable so i could fight the Orcs with armies of War Troglodytes; while the Trogs weren't doing anything they hung out in my meeting area as a gigantic troglodyte ball and rapidly became ledgendary socialites with stats to match.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 30, 2010, 08:56:48 pm »

Solution - Elven women can no longer speak.
Women not being able to speak would solve more than just the milking issue.
ZING!
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

stormbringer951

• Bay Watcher
  • Semper Dwarfius
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 02, 2010, 12:33:28 pm »

Embarking on a 1x1 nanofortress on the beach screwed over the tidal system for me, which resulted paradoxically in a metric ton of beached merpeople.
ahh, the internet, where all that you need to aquire the blueprints of war-capable submarines is an email account
Ironblood vs Morul. Natural badassery vs intense lifetime training. Nothing will survive.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28