Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28

Author Topic: Chasing the elusive Mermaid  (Read 461194 times)

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing the elusive Mermaid
« Reply #315 on: September 14, 2010, 11:06:39 pm »

Would it be feasible to farm sea serpents using similar methods to the ones mentioned here?
They have value x5 and produce the most stuff out of anything that is value x5

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 14, 2010, 11:10:56 pm »

Would it be feasible to farm sea serpents using similar methods to the ones mentioned here?

Aren't they incredibly rare and incapable of bearing kids? Other than that it should work.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 14, 2010, 11:13:39 pm »

Aren't they incredibly rare and incapable of bearing kids? Other than that it should work.

There's nothing in the raws, at least that I can see, that would suggest that sea serpents are infertile. Also they don't seem to rare, as  I've seen several zombie sea serpents in my current fort.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 14, 2010, 11:30:44 pm »

With enough pumps, NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 19, 2011, 10:04:01 pm »

Not to shatter the dream or anything... The original "Little Mermaid" story... She dies in it, so DF is bringing it back to its roots.

I admit it's been a while since I even heard of that story but I somehow missed the part where after she's dead she gets butchered by a load of Dwarves who want to sell her bones as they're more valuable then Unicorn bones.
Must be in a new version. :)

Well she turns into sea foam in the original, so it would be difficult to butcher her corpse, being as it's sea foam.

Although i'm sure some Dwarf somewhere will work out a way.

Well, to a dwarf it would be obvious. You butcher her into an alcohol additive rather than into a meat product plus bones...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 20, 2011, 01:49:14 am »

Not to shatter the dream or anything... The original "Little Mermaid" story... She dies in it, so DF is bringing it back to its roots.

I admit it's been a while since I even heard of that story but I somehow missed the part where after she's dead she gets butchered by a load of Dwarves who want to sell her bones as they're more valuable then Unicorn bones.

Well she turns into sea foam in the original, so it would be difficult to butcher her corpse, being as it's sea foam.

Well, to a dwarf it would be obvious. You butcher her into an alcohol additive rather than into a meat product plus bones...

This is the second thread that you've necro'd today.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 20, 2011, 03:16:57 am »

This is the second thread that you've necro'd today.

Well, at least they have both been of the awesome thread type.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 20, 2011, 03:58:00 pm »

Oddly enough I was thinking of trapping whales in a similar way, since they seem to generate a ridiculous amount of meat. Oh sure plump helmets are easy to grow, but when the caravan arc is in you could destroy the food economy with whale meat.
Blargh.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #323 on: January 20, 2011, 04:34:13 pm »

I have a working sea serpent farm in a fortress at the moment.  The same techniques I'm using could be used for mermaids, except that in the current version mermaids don't breed, can't be butchered, and aren't worth anything anyway.

In the process of catching the sea serpents I also caught dozens of whales, sharks, skates, tuna, sea lamprey, and many other fish.  Unfortunately, none of them breed, and slaughtering them all, processing the meat, and unloading it on traders is going to take decades.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 20, 2011, 04:43:47 pm »

I have a working sea serpent farm in a fortress at the moment.  The same techniques I'm using could be used for mermaids, except that in the current version mermaids don't breed, can't be butchered, and aren't worth anything anyway.

Who wants to bet that this was changed from 40d to the current version due to the existence of this very thread?  :o
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 20, 2011, 09:32:20 pm »

Who wants to bet that this was changed from 40d to the current version due to the existence of this very thread?  :o

And how many people have undone the changes to the merfolk raws and restored them to their 40d selves? I don't play ocean embarks often, and good aligned ones even less, but if I do play an embark where the merfolk spawn I want the option to farm them if I so choose.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 20, 2011, 10:37:34 pm »

In the process of catching the sea serpents I also caught dozens of whales, sharks, skates, tuna, sea lamprey, and many other fish.  Unfortunately, none of them breed, and slaughtering them all, processing the meat, and unloading it on traders is going to take decades.

What's your setup?

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 20, 2011, 10:42:12 pm »

I keep (to the best of my abilities) killing everything that turns up on my waterfront in the hopes that I'll get a ton of whales at my site, at which point I plan to drain my ocean into the local aquafier and drag the suffocating seafood back to my place for cookin'. Is there any reason why this would epically fail?
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 20, 2011, 11:10:12 pm »

Water only pushes things when it's sliding to the side. So unless your drainage pit is right below the whales, they might just air-drown.

Unless, of course, you carve your ocean into an upside-down pyramid to funnel them in. Difficult, but this is Dwarf Fortress.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 21, 2011, 04:23:14 pm »

Water only pushes things when it's sliding to the side. So unless your drainage pit is right below the whales, they might just air-drown.
Which is still awesome, so w00t for that!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28