Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28

Author Topic: Chasing the elusive Mermaid  (Read 458433 times)

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing the elusive Mermaid
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2008, 03:59:32 am »

You can't tame them because they don't have a pet tag. I don't know if [CAN_LEARN][CAN_SPEAK] creatures will breed properly.

Embark anywhere starts you out deep under ground if you are on an ocean square. Theoretically you could then tile edit your way out though it seems that all underground tiles in the ocean are automatically aquifers since water spawned all the way down there.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2008, 05:00:08 am »

Ok Im gonna add [amphibious] and [INDIV_CONTROLLABE] to merpeeps. This should be win enough, with my adventurer Dragon on the loose and a merperson seige just around the corner ;D
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Tsktac

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike the fish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2008, 03:41:45 pm »

I Don't know if this helps but I have always thought merpeoples migrated from one side of the map to another.  Once on a peninsula map I had 3 mermen and a mermaid on one tile on the coast.  This tile was just a small diagonal notch near the tip only a few tiles from the edge of the map.
   Maybe the most efficient trap would just be a line of cage traps near the edge of the map.

Bigulp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2008, 01:59:47 am »

he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he... *gasp* he he he he he he he he he.
I couldn't stop giggling when I read this.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 04:43:52 pm by Jackrabbit »

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2008, 03:59:57 pm »

Ok Im gonna add [amphibious] and [INDIV_CONTROLLABE] to merpeeps. This should be win enough, with my adventurer Dragon on the loose and a merperson seige just around the corner ;D

I think you need CAN_CIV to get sieges.

In other oceanic news, is there any way to get rid of the "dangerous terrain" idea? digging underwater caves would be awesome.

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2008, 06:40:42 pm »

I think this could be adapted to suit your needs once you have caught them.
No. That kills adults and children indiscriminately. The idea there is that the children will grow up and replace the adults, but it has already been decided that the 12 years it takes for mermaids to reach puberty is too long, so we should leave the adults alive and butcher all the children.

Bigulp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2008, 06:55:57 pm »

Just chain the adults away from the hatch.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2008, 01:18:56 am »

all underground tiles in the ocean are automatically aquifers

This.  I recall noticing aquifers are abundant in ocean biomes.  If your ocean floor has an aquifer beneath it, work on undermining the ocean (will require lots of pumps due to aquifer woes -- that or laborious magma flushing to seal off the aquifer).  The goal is ultimately to build a hatch or floodgate that lets you drain the entire ocean into the aquifer like a sink drain.  Just suck up the water and you'll bring the mermaids to you undersea mine.  Then close the drain again and pump your mine clear.

Think of it this way:
Code: [Select]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~###
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~###
~~~~ocean~~~~~~~~###
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~###
#####o##############
# o                 
#~##################

The second lowest z level is aquifer-free (probably due to flushing the area with magma during construction to build dry obsidian walls) and blocked both from the aquifer (lowest '~') below and from the ocean above by a floodgate/hatch system (marked by o's).

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2008, 01:22:17 pm »

Harvesting their offspring will be difficult if they airdrown

Well, what could be done is making two rooms with opening hatch covers and grates.So...

Room #1/#2

===============================
77777777777|=========|77777777777|
7777777777777777777777777777H7777|
===============================
Down:
                                                          |GD

H=Hatch cover
G=Grate
D=Door

Final Room would be a very large cistern.

The plan would be to make a narrow passage with a flood gate. When you get a merperson or a number of mepersons in the passage you could close the gate and open the hatch allowing for the room to empty and drown the merpersons. Or you could build vertical bars in the side open to the sea, you could breed them inside the area, and when one wonders into the other side, you could close,drown, and get the bones.

I'm so going to hell.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2008, 05:13:38 pm »

The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?

You misspelled 'hilarious'

Sigged.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2008, 01:00:25 am »

You people make me retch.

Well, actually you make me snicker, but only because it's only an ascii game and you're only murdering representations of semi-sentient beings.

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2008, 01:35:42 am »

Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2008, 06:05:35 am »

Why are mermaids aquatic, anyway? Aren't they amphibious in folklore? O.o
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2008, 05:50:21 pm »

Remember, we're doing this for money and to unwind. Although the whole 'video games aren't real and we're only doing it for fun' argument sort of falls when you trap semi sentient beings, then breed and slaughter them for there bones.

Oh and
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?

No, not really. I do this with unicorns but I use crossbows instead. they also serve as garbage (read: nobles) disposal. You just have to piss them off first.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 04:45:03 pm by Jackrabbit »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28