Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: For the next alpha release...  (Read 728 times)

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
For the next alpha release...
« on: May 09, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »

I like the decimal system; it let's you know you're improving, y'know? However, instead of putting the ratings right next to the statistic maybe it could be formatted into columns so it is a bit easier to read.
Instead of
code:
Pistol: 4.00
Persuasion: 3.00
Hand-to-hand: 2.00
Seduction: 2.00

It could look like

code:
Pistol:         4.00
Persuasion:     3.00
Hand-to-hand:   2.00
Seduction:      2.00

Just a small thing. Besides that, thanks for the update, they are always appreciated.

The open way's too dangerous / Listen close they're watching us
One more time you're losing us / Hold still they're shooting us
First wave down / I wonder when they're coming back
First wave intact
-Secret Machines- First Wave Intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: For the next alpha release...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 04:54:00 pm »

I toyed with this but it kind of clashes with the visual style of the rest of the screen. -.-; Juice numbers aren't moved over, attributes aren't moved over, etc.. Since some skill names are longer than others, if all the skills are in the same column they have to be shifted over a fair amount and it looks awkward. Obviously it's a visual preference thing, and that would be cleaner, but I reluctantly decided to keep it the way it is now.

But then, my judgment isn't always best. Showing your partial skill gains is something somebody else added in. I was skeptical of the decimal system before it was put in but now that it's in action it makes me wonder why I ever thought it might be a bad idea. Gaining skill is much more *fun* with that in. I love the dimmed entries for skills you have at less than one full level too.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: For the next alpha release...
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 11:13:00 pm »

After more testing with larger lists of skills, I think I've changed my mind on this.  :p