Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29

Author Topic: Kingdom of Loathing  (Read 59227 times)

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdom of Loathing
« Reply #390 on: July 22, 2013, 12:27:38 am »

Count me in. I'll dig into my little stash of meat I've saved in over a few HC runs.

Sadly, I'm in the middle of a HC Bee run, so it'll take a while.

That said, !!carp!! is still a thing.

Awesomesauce! Can someone with Whitelist power add "QuinnRi"? I'd love to help and can probably throw in some meat if enough people are going to participate. Hotstuff recommends level 20-25 for the new dungeon.

Done and done! Aaaaand there appears to be 3,000,000 Meat rotting in the clan coffers, nice to get some use for it. I'm apparently level 16 now, I'll level up and dive into the dungeon as well.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 22, 2013, 01:18:58 am »

I'll get back into this since it seems the whole clan isn't labeled as Inactive anymore. Just gotta get out of Ronin s I can actually do things. And open my 8th anniversary gift box.

Edit: Ah screw it, I'm forsaking Ronin and BIG! instead. Time to have fun again! And a pair of balsa wood socks. Woo.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:22:44 am by Man of Paper »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 22, 2013, 02:59:21 am »

Yeah, if you haven't ascended in 11 days, have ascended once, and are below level 15, you might benefit from ascending Big. It's like a regular ascension, but you start at level 15, so it goes pretty quickly (the monsters are a bit harder until you break the King out, though). I did it so I could finally be above level 13 and do the sea stuff. Otherwise I tend to ascend super fast afterwards.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 27, 2013, 08:03:25 pm »

The dungeon is almost certainly being released tonight, and a bunch of info has been leaked via URL manipulation (but not to most people, just a few who care to look). Let me say, one of the two familiars that appear to be being released tonight is SUPER DUPER COOL. Come play at rollover in a couple of hours :D (Jick posted in chat that he was aware that the stuff would be discovered before rollover, so I don't feel too bad about saying anything.)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 27, 2013, 11:52:07 pm »

I've been studying the Mall for about 5 months, and have published the data I've collected. If you like clicking links, this is a link you should click.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 28, 2013, 12:37:33 am »

I've been studying the Mall for about 5 months, and have published the data I've collected. If you like clicking links, this is a link you should click.

You...should totally being devoting this time to finding out what items are good for farming. D:

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 28, 2013, 04:59:48 pm »

I went ahead and opened the new clan dungeon, Dreadsylvania. Have fun folks!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #397 on: July 28, 2013, 05:56:02 pm »

You...should totally being devoting this time to finding out what items are good for farming. D:

There's probably less than 10 items worth 'farming', and unless you're skilled up and geared out, your time is best spent hardcore chain-ascending as fast as possible.  The gear you get from that will have a lot of utility.

Edit:  Also, unless you have the Olfaction Tome from the Bounty Hunter Hunter, your item farming is going to be super inefficient anyways.  Unless you 'need meat now', you're almost always going to be best served by playing the margins while you ascend for skills/do daily stuff.  If you have to get some money now, just farm tattered scraps of paper.

Edit Edit:  Don't try to play the margins unless you know what you're doing (what you're doing is taking a huge risk [you will lose your shirt])
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 05:59:51 pm by Capntastic »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 28, 2013, 06:00:09 pm »

There's probably less than 10 items worth 'farming', and unless you're skilled up and geared out, your time is best spent hardcore chain-ascending as fast as possible.  The gear you get from that will have a lot of utility.

Edit:  Also, unless you have the Olfaction Tome from the Bounty Hunter Hunter, your item farming is going to be super inefficient anyways.  Unless you 'need meat now', you're almost always going to be best served by playing the margins while you ascend for skills/do daily stuff.  If you have to get some money now, just farm tattered scraps of paper.

See, I don't have Olfaction yet, but the new familiar that came out in Dreadsylvania can sniff enemies, which I am pretty sure is going to be a Olfaction alternative, which could be pretty awesome. And yeah, I've heard paper scraps are pretty nice. Anyone know if banishing an enemy in addition to sniffing will increase the odds further?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #399 on: July 28, 2013, 06:01:52 pm »

Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure it does, but given how the adventure system works there's a limit on effectiveness.  (I might be wrong). 

I don't play optimally, for the most part; I play 'good enough'.  This means when I'm not ascending I basically just throw on my item gear and run my turns.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 28, 2013, 09:17:29 pm »

See, I don't have Olfaction yet, but the new familiar that came out in Dreadsylvania can sniff enemies, which I am pretty sure is going to be a Olfaction alternative, which could be pretty awesome. And yeah, I've heard paper scraps are pretty nice. Anyone know if banishing an enemy in addition to sniffing will increase the odds further?

To expand on what Capn said, yeah it'll help, but how much depends on the details.  There are some useful general breakdowns on the Bounty Hunter Hunter's wiki page.  (some of it is out of date, but the general stuff should still be useful)  Banishing removes that monster as a possibility from the queue for how many ever turns.  In an area with 4 or 5 possible monsters, or with low combat frequency, you won't see much difference.  Less monster variety and high combat frequency will make it more noticeable.  Whether it's worth doing really depends on where the banish is coming from, and the opportunity cost attached to it.

That said, I didn't bother with banishing in my slog up to the tome... but I hammered out an ASH script to do it for me, called the turns spent a noob tax, and didn't think about it too much.  I'd skip a few areas that were problematic to automate or swingy to complete, and ranked the rest in order of preference.

Are you using Mafia, quinnr?  Do you want me to dust off that script for ya?

-----

More generally, how many people are in this bay12 clan?  Do you guys want/need a wealth generator to camp out and dump goodies into the stash?
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 28, 2013, 10:07:57 pm »

To expand on what Capn said, yeah it'll help, but how much depends on the details.  There are some useful general breakdowns on the Bounty Hunter Hunter's wiki page.  (some of it is out of date, but the general stuff should still be useful)  Banishing removes that monster as a possibility from the queue for how many ever turns.  In an area with 4 or 5 possible monsters, or with low combat frequency, you won't see much difference.  Less monster variety and high combat frequency will make it more noticeable.  Whether it's worth doing really depends on where the banish is coming from, and the opportunity cost attached to it.

That said, I didn't bother with banishing in my slog up to the tome... but I hammered out an ASH script to do it for me, called the turns spent a noob tax, and didn't think about it too much.  I'd skip a few areas that were problematic to automate or swingy to complete, and ranked the rest in order of preference.

Are you using Mafia, quinnr?  Do you want me to dust off that script for ya?

-----

More generally, how many people are in this bay12 clan?  Do you guys want/need a wealth generator to camp out and dump goodies into the stash?
I'd be interested in seeing it, I do use Mafia pretty often (moreso while I'm ascending, but I still fire it up when I remember to). I have a decent supply of banishers from the Clip Art tome, but I suppose I should count the opportunity cost of selling the summon for about 8.5k meat. Thanks for the tips, guys.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 28, 2013, 11:17:09 pm »

Yes. Banishing a combat removes it entirely, which, for the purpose of On the Trail, you can consider it to have one fewer combat than the zone actually has. There's a number of ways to get perma-banishes, but those are usually either directly expensive, or come with a high opportunity cost.

In terms of low-skill farming, Avatar of Boris is probably one of the best to work with though.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 29, 2013, 12:05:00 am »

I'd be interested in seeing it, I do use Mafia pretty often (moreso while I'm ascending, but I still fire it up when I remember to). I have a decent supply of banishers from the Clip Art tome, but I suppose I should count the opportunity cost of selling the summon for about 8.5k meat. Thanks for the tips, guys.

Okay, the caveats...

This script assumes you're in aftercore, have an abundance of adventures to burn, room in your head for a couple songs from a public & free buffbot, wearing an all-comer outfit with appropriate combat macros/scripts, and have opened all the possible locations for bounties.

The last time I used it was around Crimbo 2012.  I quit playing just before the Castle changes happened in February, but I fixed the location for that.  I don't know if anything else needs to change.  The script is not commented and not elegant, but it's a relatively simple affair.  Figuring out what's going on will not be difficult if you need to alter or fix stuff.  Unless Mafia has been radically rewritten since Feb., this script should run as-is on the current version.

The bounties it will refuse are cubist bulls in Haunted Gallery (unlocking is a hassle, too many fussy non-combats even then), filthy hippies & orcish frat boys on the Island (problematic availability in aftercore, depending on War results), and gearheads at Degrassi Knoll (I was usually Muscle sign, very swingy besides).  By the math on those settings, there's a 1 in 256 chance it will sit and quit on you; I think I had it happen once in about two man-years of usage.

Here it is, ready to paste into a blank file and save as bounty.ash or somesuch:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 12:33:32 am by aristabulus »
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 03, 2013, 10:51:13 am »

Doing a HC Bees Hate You run during the Frat-Hippy war quest is like stabbing yourself with a knife every single turn. 100 freaking damage. And the only way I can possibly survive is by being in the clan, so I can use the sofa.

Edit: KOLmafia is amazing.

Edit 2: Do you mind letting my multi (nameisalsoimmaterial) into the clan? Just block that one from dungeons, so we're not violating the notice on the 4th wall.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:25:06 pm by My Name is Immaterial »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29