Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: It can be done (HFS Spoilers)  (Read 11208 times)

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: It can be done (HFS Spoilers)
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2008, 05:24:16 pm »

You know what this means!

WAR DEMONS!

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2008, 07:12:37 pm »

Agreeing with the whole taming idea. Anything can be brought to seeing your way if you stick it in a cage and beat it long enough.

*goes off to mod the demons*

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 08:37:37 pm »

Update: Experiments with SoF proove to be more difficult than with Frog Demons due to the SoF innate ability to burn to nothing wooden cages set up in cage traps simply by standing one or two tiles away. I will try again after forging many steel cages. Interestingly, placing barrels of booze on top of the section of floor set to come crashing down will result in the fabled booze bomb when it hits the SoF. At least molten dwarven wine and long land beer flew all over the place (causing no harm to the SoF).

That's because the booze bomb is (despite my best efforts) a myth that just won't die.

The booze boils, the steam from it happens to be red and thus look like an explosion, even though it is harmless (like steam). Any injuries from the 'booze bomb' are either caused by whatever lit the thing on fire in the first place, or the burning barrel (I'm fairly sure the heat from the burning barrel can injure creatures standing next to it, not just on top of it). Spirits of fire don't take damage from heat (at least plain old wood fire level heat) so they are uninjured.

As for the spirit of fire falling into the chasm, AFAIK this is a known bug - fliers will sometimes just decide to not fly anymore, and if they are over a chasm they fall in and die. If you modded your dwarves to fly in the 2d version that would happen from time to time, which was kind of funny.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2008, 08:39:16 am »

Apologies for taking so long to do the SoF experiment (gathering enough steel for just under two hundred cages takes a while amongst other things). So I've finally done it but with disappointing results. The frog demon method will not work with SoF. SoF will eventually melt even steel cages and the stone mechanisms used in them if they stand over them for long enough. But even if you try to knock them into the cages with a ceiling collapse before the steel and stone stars melting nothing will happen, indeed they wont even be revealed from ambush. Because of that I don't think I'll bother with the last course of action which would have been to make adamantium cages with bauxite mechanisms. While waiting for the cages to be forged I dug out a cistern to test what happenes when you drop a large amoutn of water on them and the answer is not much. The water doesn't get close enough to touch them nor does it reveal them from stealth. You don't even get much steam relative to the veritable ocean you might try and douse them with.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2008, 09:27:05 am »

Why didn't yu just turn off temperature?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2008, 09:38:05 am »

Because that would be cheating. I was interested in discovering what can and can't be done with demons without modding. There was a lot of hearsay and theories that I wanted to prove and/or try out. It's a shame that SoF are uncageable (that I know of) because they are the only demon that might have a practical use outside of zoo/death pit.

Proof of failure vid for those interested http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-927-trappingsofattemptfailure

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2008, 10:08:14 am »

Considering that their temperature is at 25k and bauxite melts at 13,6k, bauxite mechanism would not work.
The point of melting for adamantine is at 25k so the question is if it will smelt from an equal temperature or a higher one.

Expensive way to capture them though

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2008, 10:13:24 am »

Now now, the other demons are not useless. Put frog demons in your moat. Tentacle demons in the goblin dungeon, and a normal demon as the centerpiece for your legendary dining room. Or royal nobility housing.

And you might want to make the SoF caging pit a bit smaller this time around. Although adamantine mechanisims would be interesting to use. They are free from the Adamantine...only to be trapped by it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2008, 12:39:48 pm »

What about dropping them on top of cage traps?

As in, the room they enter is made out of bridges linked to the lever that would collapse the ceiling and under the room of bridges are the cage traps located.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2008, 03:11:39 pm »

Well, if a spirit of fire can melt an adamantine cage then I think you should mod one or the other to be 1 degree more or less in temperature. It's kinda interesting to think of a spirit of fire as a boiler system for a dwarven steam room. Build the cage of a trapped SoF in the middle of a cage of bars. Flood the area with water at the bottom of your fortress and vent the steam upward into a "bath area" with mist and steam. :D

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2008, 05:32:07 pm »

How do dwarves even get close enough to kill a SoF if it can boil off water from several squares away?

BlakeKoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2008, 10:13:50 pm »

How do dwarves even get close enough to kill a SoF if it can boil off water from several squares away?

Steel Bolts.

Lots and lots of Steel Bolts.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2008, 10:31:17 pm »

I've had 8 champions armed with adamantine kill 2 separate single spirits of fire. anything else has ended in catastrophe though.. I  think that there's a shield bug right now that makes it impossible for dwarves to block fireballs. Which is very bad. Either that, or a legendary+5 shield user with an exceptional adamantine shield just isn't good enough...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 10:33:07 pm by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2008, 10:44:20 pm »

I am beginning to rethink taking on the pits. Last one I tried went fair enough thanks to this thread. My 16 dwarves would have been slaughtered if there was a SoF infestation.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2008, 09:46:02 pm »

i think I want a few spirits of fire now. To get rid of this pesky ocean.

Or more likely a different one.  Don't want to lose these glacial lighthouses.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4