Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: It can be done (HFS Spoilers)  (Read 11192 times)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: It can be done (HFS Spoilers)
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2008, 12:17:08 pm »

How do dwarves even get close enough to kill a SoF if it can boil off water from several squares away?

By hiding round a corner.  And stabbing them in the face really fast.  Sever on Breaks means instant decapitation.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2008, 04:29:36 pm »

I'd say a catapult crossfire.  Rocks+sever on break should make it not that much weaker than a balista, and easier to fire continuously with the super abundant ammo.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2008, 08:45:04 am »

Hi, kids. I've made another movie. I thought I'd be content with the last one but the fact that I hadn't used adamantium began to nag at me. I started this to answer questions, not pose more, after all.

Questions answered in this movie:
Can SoF be caged? Probably not.
Will they melt adamantium? No, they wont.
Will they die if hit by a falling ceiling? Yes.
Is DG's test method perfectly safe to miners every time? No.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-937-trappingsofwithadamantiumattempt

What about dropping them on top of cage traps?

As in, the room they enter is made out of bridges linked to the lever that would collapse the ceiling and under the room of bridges are the cage traps located.

I'll try this next. SoF do fly but flying creatures sometimes do silly things (like forget to fly over chasms and fall to their deaths) so maybe an SoF would fall and trigger a trap. Long shot, but it's possible until proven otherwise. Personally, I suspect SoF can't be captured because they don't have physical bodies in their raws entry and it has less to do with their mode of flight. If anyone can think of any other ideas for trapping them I'm open to suggestions. Also, if you have questions you want answered (like the water one) I'll give it a shot. Another movie I intend to create will answer this question: "How many SoF can a solitary uber-legendary adamantium-equipped champion dwarf kill in melee before he dies?" Because there is some interest in just how dangerous these guys are. I mean, come on, they're just demons, right? A prize (not really) if you guess correctly.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2008, 10:41:17 am »

Thanks for the infos, this is a really interesting thread.  8)

Another movie I intend to create will answer this question: "How many SoF can a solitary uber-legendary adamantium-equipped champion dwarf kill in melee before he dies?" Because there is some interest in just how dangerous these guys are. I mean, come on, they're just demons, right? A prize (not really) if you guess correctly.

Well, the combat system and damage calculation is very basic [..and very random] right now -> it's not "realistic" really, so you will get totally different results if you savescum. [I've made tests like these, just not with demons..] :)
Combat results in the next version of DF will be much more realistic.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 10:43:09 am by Tormy »

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2008, 01:44:49 am »

Another movie I intend to create will answer this question: "How many SoF can a solitary uber-legendary adamantium-equipped champion dwarf kill in melee before he dies?" Because there is some interest in just how dangerous these guys are. I mean, come on, they're just demons, right? A prize (not really) if you guess correctly.

A skilled speardwarf with steel weaponry racked up about 9 kills in one of my forts.  I think they were all beheadings.  If all the Spirits of Fire has been revealed(several showed up right next to him) he might have gotten a couple more.  He died burning.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2008, 01:41:18 pm »

Hi, kids. I've made another movie. I thought I'd be content with the last one but the fact that I hadn't used adamantium began to nag at me. I started this to answer questions, not pose more, after all.

Questions answered in this movie:
Can SoF be caged? Probably not.
Will they melt adamantium? No, they wont.
Will they die if hit by a falling ceiling? Yes.
Is DG's test method perfectly safe to miners every time? No.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-937-trappingsofwithadamantiumattempt

What about dropping them on top of cage traps?

As in, the room they enter is made out of bridges linked to the lever that would collapse the ceiling and under the room of bridges are the cage traps located.

I'll try this next. SoF do fly but flying creatures sometimes do silly things (like forget to fly over chasms and fall to their deaths) so maybe an SoF would fall and trigger a trap. Long shot, but it's possible until proven otherwise. Personally, I suspect SoF can't be captured because they don't have physical bodies in their raws entry and it has less to do with their mode of flight. If anyone can think of any other ideas for trapping them I'm open to suggestions. Also, if you have questions you want answered (like the water one) I'll give it a shot. Another movie I intend to create will answer this question: "How many SoF can a solitary uber-legendary adamantium-equipped champion dwarf kill in melee before he dies?" Because there is some interest in just how dangerous these guys are. I mean, come on, they're just demons, right? A prize (not really) if you guess correctly.

Depends. If there's an equation to be constructed it'd involve How Long Does It Take A Superdwarvenly Tough MaxAgile MaxStrength Dwarf to Burn To Death, how long it takes that one dwarf to kill a SoF, the speed at which an UberDwarf travels, how far must the dwarf travel, and is he attacking them one by one or all at once, are they all attacking him, is he using corners, and more likely than not other things I've missed.

I'll hazard two guesses: However many spirits of fire are in the chamber, and 42.

For taking down fliers, it's simple what needs to be done. Vary the dimensions to suit your tastes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Out of curiosity, because I don't think I ever saw the answer in your thread- how did you know the exact location of the HFS? Is there any way to know ahead of time where the HFS location will be? Here's to a successful attempt!
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2008, 04:09:11 pm »

Out of curiosity, because I don't think I ever saw the answer in your thread- how did you know the exact location of the HFS? Is there any way to know ahead of time where the HFS location will be? Here's to a successful attempt!

Cheated, probably. Or savescummed.

For cheating, Tweak here has a utility to reveal such things.

sdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2008, 07:32:19 pm »

The easiest way to find hfs is to have it show on embark and remember roughly where it is. It can take a while but i usually hit the spot - if you dont want to use the mod stuff i mean.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2008, 07:47:14 pm »

usually you strike a branching adamantine vein before you hit the demon vaults

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2008, 08:34:14 pm »

If you are lucky, you hit the adamantine before you find the chamber.  But the question was:  How did the maker of the movies know EXACTLY where the edge of the glowing chamber was?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2008, 03:22:08 am »

Yes, I savescum like nobodies business. Initially I just remember the general location on my embark zone and then dig down until I find it. I then remember where it is exactly (more or less depending on my needs) and savescum, so sorry for the boring answer.

Speaking of boring, I haven't posted anything new because I've been trying the falling SoF method (multiple ways) without success and it doesn't make for interesting movies or anything much different to the ones I've already linked. I'm now willing to announce that it is impossible to cage the SoF. Others are welcome to keep trying and I'd love to be proven wrong. I intend to do a couple of silly SoF related experiments and then get back to actually playing the game for a while. Constant save scumming and linking levers to cages and bridges and supports becomes tedious when you have no success.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2008, 05:58:58 am »

Yess I know it's all RNG mostly, Tormy, don't be so literal.  :P

A skilled speardwarf with steel weaponry racked up about 9 kills in one of my forts.  I think they were all beheadings.  If all the Spirits of Fire has been revealed(several showed up right next to him) he might have gotten a couple more.  He died burning.

Perilously close to my results! Interesting...

My champions kills weren't beheadings I don't think, as there were SoF body parts all over (typical of hammer deaths) along with the pile of ash. That surprised me, I thought there'd just be ash.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-955-1vssofpits

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2008, 04:38:40 pm »

That looked like a much faster version of my run-in with SoFs.  It should be noted that my spear-dwarf had backup and mostly fought the SoFs one or two at a time.  Your hammerdwarf deserves to be commemorated in Wall engravings for the rest of eternity.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]