Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: It can be done (HFS Spoilers)  (Read 11200 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
It can be done (HFS Spoilers)
« on: October 11, 2008, 05:33:45 am »

And now we have proof.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A cookie to the first person to guess how. No mods at all.

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
Re: It can be done (HFS Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 06:28:15 am »

A cave in so the demon gets knocked out by the dust, in a room full of cage traps?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 06:29:37 am »

Or modded to remove trap avoid?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Carcer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 06:51:48 am »

He says no mods.

Are there any there ways to knock creatures out?
set the meeting area on top of a retracting bridge above a huge pit. pull lever.
Entire goddamn fortress cancells task: resting injury.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 06:56:28 am »

Ryo wins.

I had originally tried a room full of cage traps with a barrel of booze on top of each trap. I left a one tile fortified room in the middle containing an imp to serve as the detonator to the booze bomb but unfortunately the imp would not attack (yes, the demons were destealthed by releasing a handful of dogs from a trap for them to destroy) and neither would the demon attack the imp with fireballs through the fortification. Maybe if it were a tamed imp it would have behaved differently. I then tried to release fire snakes but they only seemed to eat the barrels and leave the alcohol behind. Does anyone know of a proven way to set off a booze bomb? If so, have you actually done it, rather than heard of it done? I had planned for the (supposed) shock wave from the booze bomb to knock the demons into a cage but when I couldn't get it to work I tried a different tact by linking up a support to bring down a section of the ceiling as Ryo guessed. The shockwave from that knocked most of the demons into cages. Easier than a booze bomb but nowhere near as cool. I can safely reset it for the remaining frog demons seeing as the flying demon was safely caged with the first wave (the room has roughly 100 cage traps in it). But now that I know it can be done rather than just suspecting it, I'll return to my proper fortress and use steel cages so I don't feel quite so cheesy.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 07:11:05 am »

Magma may be able to set off a booze bomb. You'd need to rig up some complex pump system that only as a 1*1 reservoir or something though.
Magma is overrated.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 09:26:53 am »

You realize that now that you've actually captured some of them, what you decide to do with them will have to be even awesomer, right?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 12:02:06 pm »

You realize that now that you've actually captured some of them, what you decide to do with them will have to be even awesomer, right?

Steam trap involving fortifications, a spirit of fire, water and enemies to steam up?

How I would imagine it:
 z -2: Room for the spirits of fire. Release them there with a device for pumping water into the room.
 z -1: Channeled out area. Replace the empty space with fortifications, which should allow steam to escape but not the spirits.
 z 1: A grid of floors and grates, which enemies walk along.

So when a force of goblins or elves come, you start pumping water into the spirit of fire room. This should cause steam, which drifts up through the fortifications, the grates and into the group of whatever you want to steam cook.

At least, in theory. I dunno how much steam moves. But much cooler than releasing them outside and sealing the fortress.

Then again, that would make an awesome succession game. Trying to assemble a force strong enough to take on the outside forces of demons.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 12:50:41 pm »

Spirits of Fire would make fine turrets

And fine way to end your fort when someone tantrums and breaks their zoo cage

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 01:01:09 pm »

Make sure you have a roof because spirits of fire and regular demons are [FLIER].

Any sort of release would be a bad idea if not in a confined room.

Fortifications with a roof, lever release inside to create a turret w/ spirits of fire would work though.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 02:56:57 pm »

Can someone tell me what that blurry blue area says? I'm kinda guessing it's something to do with a demon, but so far as I can tell its just "Lapsmmuim Alminsuinnm, Deemoe"
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 03:30:12 pm »

It's obviously a demon, but I can't make out the name.

Tip: save screenshots as .png files.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 04:30:51 pm »

Steam trap involving fortifications, a spirit of fire, water and enemies to steam up?

How I would imagine it:
 z -2: Room for the spirits of fire. Release them there with a device for pumping water into the room.
 z -1: Channeled out area. Replace the empty space with fortifications, which should allow steam to escape but not the spirits.
 z 1: A grid of floors and grates, which enemies walk along.

So when a force of goblins or elves come, you start pumping water into the spirit of fire room. This should cause steam, which drifts up through the fortifications, the grates and into the group of whatever you want to steam cook.

At least, in theory. I dunno how much steam moves. But much cooler than releasing them outside and sealing the fortress.

Then again, that would make an awesome succession game. Trying to assemble a force strong enough to take on the outside forces of demons.

Steam seems harmless.  At least in the current version.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 05:48:30 pm »

'till we test it, anyway.

Ooh! Use spirits of fire as lanterns in your grand multiple z-level dining room!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 05:49:02 pm »

Can a Dungeon Master tame demons?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4