Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: It can be done (HFS Spoilers)  (Read 11115 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: It can be done (HFS Spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2008, 05:54:53 pm »

Nope, no pet exotic tag.

But looking at their raws, I noticed they are size eleven. THAT would be the reason they are so damn tough. That plus the hell that is:

[FLIER][trAPAVOID][CAN_LEARN][CAN_SPEAK][NOPAIN][EXTRAVISION][NOBREATHE][NOBLEED][NOSTUN][NONAUSEA][NOEMOTION][RECKLESS][NOSTUCKINS][SEVERONBREAKS][NOSKULL][NOSKIN][NOBONES][NOMEAT][NOTHOUGHT][NOEXERT][BUILDINGDESTROYER:2][NOFEAR][NOEXERT]

Oh yes, [FIXED_TEMP:25000]
 Can't forget THAT one.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 05:56:58 pm »

Can a Dungeon Master tame demons?
Not without modding, no.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 09:25:23 pm »

Interesting that this idea worked, you'd think with no exertion and no stun, they would not be knocked out, but I guess it is hard-coded for when the floors collapse. 
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 11:58:26 pm »

Dust: the ultimate non-lethal weapon.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2008, 01:24:56 am »

PNG file? I'll keep that in mind for next time, thanks. I went back and save-scummed the test fort so I could record a movie. In so doing I discovered a few interesting things. The name of the demon is randomized everytime you unleash hell (the names of the frog demons probably are too but there are too many for me to bother checking). At one point I attempt to raise a draw bridge (the one at the end of the line of doors that get destroyed) to seal in the demons before destroying the support but it doesn't work. I'm guessing that a stealthed demon or three may have been sitting on it at the time so that's something to keep in mind in case you ever feel the need to catapult a demon with a raising draw bridge. Also, the size of movies is limited so if you've increased the display area of DF you wil only be able to create very short movies (I returned the display to original settings to create this). Also cave-ins reveal stealthed units (I already knew that but I'll point it out just in case). Lastly, I don't take special delight in offering puppies (and one kitten) to demons but you need something to draw them further into the room otherwise only a handful tend to bunch up just passed the entrance to your cage room. I don't think demons wander around much once they realize there's nothing left to do or destroy.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-881-trappinghfs

Duke, Spirits of Fire are size 11 but the vanilla demons which you get one of in every chamber are size 16 (elephant size!). And maybe a trap avoid creature doesn't actually need to be knocked unconscious to be caged, simply being knocked to the ground on top of a cage trap might (and seems to be) enough. There's nothing in the raws to keep a demon from being knocked on it's tail by masses of collapsing stone. You can see that a couple are actually killed in this test run, they show up in legends as having been killed by a collapsing roof, of course.

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2008, 03:00:40 am »

I would just like to congratulate you, sir!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2008, 03:56:06 am »

Mine just slowed to a crawl when I tried

Good show. Put a few in the roof of your multi-z level dining room. Gives it a nice ambient lighting. Nothing like a romantic dinner of raw mushrooms in the glow of pure hate and destruction

Alopix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2008, 01:32:23 am »

Nothing like a romantic dinner of raw mushrooms in the glow of pure hate and destruction

sig'd
Nothing like a romantic dinner of raw mushrooms in the glow of pure hate and destruction

Snappydude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2008, 05:02:51 pm »

IGNUSSSS MUSSSST BURRRRRRN...

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 08:27:29 am »

Mine just slowed to a crawl when I tried

Mine did once too for a tentacle demon pit but usually my FPS are not affected so I don't know what causes it. It has nothing to do with rewalling because I haven't done that. In this case I didn't even raise a draw bridge. It may have something to do with the number of demons and "from the underworld" dwarves/humans/elves that suddenly have pathing jobs created for them. I haven't opened up enough to get a good sample size but the tentacle demon cave that lagged me had more live mortals in it than the others. I mostly find frog demon chambers and they have yet to lag me. I've only yet found one SoF chamber and all the mortals diaf'ed fairly quickly for that one.

After breaching a chamber I had my dwarves dawdle around for a while but when nothing came to kill them I checked the unit list to see that the demon was already dead and I wasn't sure why. The SoF chamber was on fire so I wondered if somehow the demon had been killed by the flames. I abandoned to check the legends screen.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Question, is it a known bug/feature that a flying creature can fall into a chasm and die? The demon hadn't (none had) destealthed so I have no idea what it was doing at the time.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008, 07:27:58 am »

Update: Experiments with SoF proove to be more difficult than with Frog Demons due to the SoF innate ability to burn to nothing wooden cages set up in cage traps simply by standing one or two tiles away. I will try again after forging many steel cages. Interestingly, placing barrels of booze on top of the section of floor set to come crashing down will result in the fabled booze bomb when it hits the SoF. At least molten dwarven wine and long land beer flew all over the place (causing no harm to the SoF).

Morberis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2008, 10:15:50 pm »

One question I`ve been wondering is, what happens if you flood the HFS and have everything sealed up again after, do they drown boil the water away, or what.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 04:18:23 am »

One question I`ve been wondering is, what happens if you flood the HFS and have everything sealed up again after, do they drown boil the water away, or what.

I believe they'll boil it.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 04:39:18 am »

Argh, spirits of fire. Any advice on how to rid myself of these things without having to make an elaborate trap system?
Magma is overrated.

Steelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2008, 04:24:46 pm »

IGNUSSSS MUSSSST BURRRRRRN...

Shoot, where'd I put that decanter...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4