Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is your standard FPS on your computer? (current fort)

100-80
- 15 (15.3%)
79-60
- 10 (10.2%)
59-40
- 19 (19.4%)
40-20
- 34 (34.7%)
20-1
- 11 (11.2%)
over 100
- 9 (9.2%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Your standard FPS.  (Read 2495 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Your standard FPS.
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2008, 09:22:46 am »

right now I'm running at about 4 fps, with 210 dwarves on a 6x6 map, with about 120 animals

Holy cow! Advancing one year in DF must take a lot of time for you.  :o

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2008, 01:49:04 pm »

right now I'm running at about 4 fps, with 210 dwarves on a 6x6 map, with about 120 animals

Egads.  I was down to 12 at one point and thought THAT was unplayable (by the way, that was at embark).

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2008, 02:06:58 pm »

210 dwarves, most z levels used, brook (dammed) and flowing aquifer pool (used to drain the river. it is big.).
i run at 17 to 22 FPS, and it start being too slow. can't use partial print at default settings, unluckly. any suggestions about that?

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2008, 02:31:09 pm »

Holy cow! Advancing one year in DF must take a lot of time for you.  :o

Yeah, I've mostly been letting it run in the background, Checking back now and then to add another level to my water tower when it was building, or waiting for a siege to I can run my flooding trap (which actually brought my displayed fps down to 0 last time I tried it. :) )  It has about 45 million wealth, and I have about 40000 prepared food and drink (I overestimated how much food those tiny little farms can make), oh and 10000 tiles worth of underground tree farm (making the barrels for all that food takes a bit of wood, not to mention fuel since I don't have magma, but I've picked up a bit of that by carving all through the sedemantary layers for fuel too, and all the above ground tree harvesting.)

Although now that I've cleared out some of the water from underground, and refilled my waterfall lake again, it's back up to 6-7fps :)

I uploaded it here http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3744-whipcaught  Oh yeah, and my engravers ran out of work, so they ended up engraving a lot of the landscape. :)  And the big muddy area in the southwest is the aftermath of the first succesful test of my flooding trap, which killed most of 2 squads of goblins, a fisherdwarf, and my fps. :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 02:39:54 pm by Soralin »

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2008, 09:42:55 pm »

I get 100 with PARTIAL_PRINT, 25-30 without, and I've capped it at 50.

Philosophical Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Encased in Obsidian, steaming.
    • View Profile
    • The Philosophical Gamer
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2008, 10:29:48 pm »

With my current fort of 150 dwarves, it's generally right at 30FPS, unless a group of 40+ goblins show up, in which case it goes down to 15FPS or so, which isn't so bad because it's nice to have it a bit slower during all the bloodsplattering and general lamentations.  I have one of the piddlier Athlon X2's, and 4 gigs of RAM, before I got this computer it wasn't really playable with 90+ dwarves.  Now I just run DF in the background mostly until a siege shows up or something else that's interesting happens.

Once a fort hits its 5th season or so it gets pretty normalized with not much left to build, I'm not really into going into huge building projects, it's all about building up the military - once the army arc goes in fully the strategy will be useful, for now it's just fun to see how elite the squad gets.

I never have gone after adamantium though, that could make it interesting in the later game.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 10:32:59 pm by Philosophical Gamer »
Philosophical Gamer - Waxing nostalgic about old school games, roguelikes, linux gaming, dwarf fortress, indie gaming and more. It's good, and good for you.

GameBooty.com - Only the Best Free Games for the Serious Gamer. PC, Online, Flash, Mobile, iPhone.  Come by and get some free quality games.  400+ games with more added daily.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2008, 12:52:48 am »

Don't worry about voting now because you just started, I set up the vote so you can change your's so that you don't have to come up with an absolute average of every fortress you have done.

Most people seem to hover around 30-20 FPS but I wanted to make sure that this isn't volunteer bias.
i dont see how you change it (and i will need to, becouse 150 in my nano fortress in the begining is just too naiv that it will stay ...)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime
Pages: 1 2 [3]