Other Projects > Other Games

Galactic Conquest

(1/10) > >>

Idiom:
I had the sudden urge today to go out and pick up some sort of 4X space game and spend my afternoon carving an empire out of the universe.

Can anyone recommend some good 4X or 4X related space games? Fairly recent ones, specifically.

Galactic Civilizations is alright, but it's very simple. I suppose that's a plus for the AI, as the AI can actually put up a fight.
Space Empires V looks too complex for it's own good and I've heard terrible things about the AI.
MOO3 had too much unnecessary garbage added.
Any freewares?
Sins of a Solar empire was Homeworld meets Civilizations, wasn't it?

Tormy:
Whaaat? Galciv2 ToA + latest patch = epic win.
You don't need anything else. You call that game SIMPLE?!..or you were talking about part 1.?

PS. SoSE is a space RTS. Quite good RTS in fact.  :)

a1s:
um... I don't know what they did with the lastest patch, I have vanilla GalCiv2, and it's boring! I couldn't even finish the campaign, so bored I was. And I played SEIV for weeks, so I can deal with the gamestyle of 4x pretty well.

Idiom:
Looks like a bit of a rift there in 4X fans.

GalCiv2 I played only the original. I assume with mods and the expansions it could be quite good. 60$ for everything is steep though.

SEIV and V have more options, but to a useless degree. The ship designer was good, but it doesn't matter where you put components anyway. If it doesn't matter, at least in GC you could have great control over what the ship looks like.

SoSE I heard was a 4X + Homeworld. I'm going to have to try that one, but I still want an old-fashioned plain 4X.

a1s:
actually there are a few mods for SEV, that make it matter where you put stuff (apparently the mechanics are there, but MM decided they were confusing, or something, and decided not to use them). However, as was pointed out, AI is ridiculously bad in that game (and I have never found anyone to multi-play it with...).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version