Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LCS - Strategies  (Read 1394 times)

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
LCS - Strategies
« on: January 22, 2008, 06:54:00 am »

Hey all, I was just wondering if some of you could share your strategies when playing LCS, I seem to be quite a noob at it (which makes the game very fun), but I have found myself often restarting several times in rapid succession because a druggie just happened to be carrying a chain or I get mobbed by a group of security guards.

I generally only use one of my two strategies:

My first involves me going out ASAP and getting as many recruits as I can, normally forming them into squads whcih are all stationed at different safehouses, so as to not lose my whole group just cause one of my guys dows something illegal. Unfortunately, I have had... let me count... oh, one time when this has actually gotten past the first year, mainly because every time I go out to recruit people, some random conservative attacks me and kills me, I will demonstrate one of the more... odd ways that happened:

Start of battle
Secretary jabs at you and hits the left arm
You seem strangely calm
Secretary jabs at you and hits the left leg
Escape from battle

Afterwards, I went and checked to find that my left arm and leg were..... bruised... and I was.... NearDETH. Eh? How does that work.

I digress.

My second strategy is to simply hack for cash from the start, I generally create a character that has high computer and acceptable law and persuasion. I normally spend several years amassing a fortune and boosting my characters skills. The best on I did had my character at 10 Law, 10 Persuasion and 9 Computer before I stopped. His conversation skill was 36 on issues, 34 on dating, and 30 on bluff. With my vast, vast fields of money I normally fully deck out one or two safe houses with all the fortifications and leave the other for a printing press. Unfortunatly, I still die quite often, and on the best one described earlier, a string of inconveniences led my entire force to be broken up after the cops raided me, in the end what people remained held a last stand in my main fortress (I had well over 300 days of rations there, as well as full fortifications) but somehow, I was picked off by a sniper a few days in.

Anyway, in addition to strategy help, I also have a few questions.

1)Is there someway to be protected from snipers? I mean in reality it doesn;t make sense that if you knew snipers were there you would be in any spot to be shot.

2a)Converting people to sleepers, I know there have been a lot of strategies on this, but none seem to work for me, even when they are down to 1 wisdom and 4 heart, they don't seem to want to come to my side, and eventually I just abandon them.

2b)What are the mainly useful sleeper types? I know that lawyers and judges are a good help. And Tv and Radio people are useful too. But what about CEOs and programmers etc. Are they very helpful as sleepers? What about junkies and the like?

Whew, that was long... Especially for a first post.
Thanks for any help given.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: LCS - Strategies
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 10:13:00 am »

1. no. as for the why, you sit in a building for a months, and you are bound to slip up.
2a.no one knows. Fox (the lead developer) claims to have a strategy, but he isn't sharing it. however converting people gets easier with time (not just from your own experience, but mainly the amount of time they were your hostages).
2b.all the sleepers are useful. well maybe not junkies (maybe). everyone from a college student to a CEO is influencing the public opinion, some more, some less. a CEO is almost as good as a TVA.

also, if there's nothing to charge your guys with, they won't be arrested (so you can keep them all in one place if you so wish)

I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 01:06:00 pm »

Well, I'm not sure about your  first two questions, but for the third, anyone who could potentially influence a lot of people, or be useful in some form.  Lawyers, judges, and jury members are always useful,  people on the TV and radio too, so you can gather better public opinion.  

For my strategy, I just sit in a safehouse, sell lots and lots of art, get lots of money, kit out all 3 safehouses, arm myself and try to kidnap and convert some people into sleepers.  If it doesn't work, just send them into the police station and have them get nightstick'd to death.  Rinse, and repeat, always changing safehouses after each reported kidnapping to try and divert a bit of heat.

Note: You'll die rapidly without a gun. I'd recommend a 44. magnum, or a 45. semi-auto.  Get about 40 extra clips with art-money and start juicing up.

[ January 22, 2008: Message edited by: Sithlordz ]

You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 05:43:00 pm »

Awesome, thanks for the fast replies.

It's a bit of a shame that you can't be protected from the snipers, but, I guess if you were, it would be possible to simply stock up on  rations up to an unholy amount and sit there letting the publicity roll in.

Thanks for the strategy Sithlordz, I will try that out now, but I also have a question, since the new version has that thing with gun laws, is there any way for me to walk into an apartment or anything without getting noticed because of my AK (I sometimes go for that option).

Also, which of the uniforms is best, as I got one of my guys to really high clothes making (or whatever it is) and he could make the uniforms really easily. I would assume that the military uniform is better, but the guard uniform (not the security one) would appear to be a good choice as well, thing is that they cost the same and are of the same difficulty.

Finally, has anyone noticed that when you go into the bulk task assigning, it is the same as the old version (it has causing trouble $0, $20 etc)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 06:07:00 pm »

There's something about this game that always makes me fuck up real bad with my main guy, who dies due to some moron being caught while tagging a wall or whatever they do, and because I pressed fight instead of give up when the cops came to arrest him, and most of my squad due to the many illegal activities I do.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 08:24:00 pm »

I used to have a strategy...Get 100 sleepers and piss away time.

My new strategy, now that sleepers are so hard to get it makes me want to cheat AND its nigh-impossible to find any ! squares in a building is...

Get a fighter type main guy. Mine ususally end up at 10 in all gun skills with an AK and a shotgun, as well as about 10 in...everything from art to law. Eventually its impossible to get arrested. ENTER STRATEGY: Convert safehouse to liberal guardian. Recruit 500 people. Assign all 500 to various writing tasks, cover all ares. Then go on constant raids to every location with your gunman, giving up to seiges and simply buying a new shotgun when you are declared innocent (10 law...). With 20 writers on each subject, as soon as you start killing people in subject located ares, public interest goes up and the masses begin seeing the liberal side of said subject.

I got 100% green on radio, police, judges, and pollution in a short period of time before my game got messed up somehow. crashes on load...

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 10:38:00 pm »

My strategy is fairly simple. First I do a half dozen  to maybe 10 runs to garment factories and recruit a ton of sweatshop workers.  I dump them at the homeless shelter or maybe a cheap apartment and let them make clothes and forget about them.  With 30-40+ people all at +5 garment making rakes in the money fairly quickly and if i need more faster I go recruit more.  After this I then just start recruiting the dregs till i have a  about 200-300 and I start them on graffiti just to get started on the issues.  I take my prostitutes and start recruiting useful types such as writers and weapon users.  Once I get a decent group of militant types I take the best of them and go and slaughter and hopefully get me some documents i can use.  Now eventually the police will start to raid at which point i have my 200+ dregs who have been slowly gaining juice from graffiti slaughter them for the high end guns and clothes.  Eventually the raids take on a pattern of raid-article-sleeper report-raid and I can make another 15k plus a month from that plus body armor and assault weapons.   This makes my assault squads even deadlier plus I try to start recruiting agents for runs on the genetics labs. Somewhere in there I attempt to get sleepers of any sort.  High end conservatives are optimal but a couple hundred sleepers will eventually help to finish it up regardless. Eventually I get bored and let the game finish up.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 01:00:00 am »

You actually CAN defend your people from snipers, but you have to do it on an individual level. Make sure all of your important people have high juice. That means an inactive founder who bums about with 20 juice leading from a hole in the ground is vulnerable to a sniper killing off your entire organization with one shot. By comparison, a founder who leads from the front, has 150 juice, and totes an M16 and a katana with a trenchcoat, will never die in a sniper attack. The sniper will take the shot, and miss.

I've revealed my super secret strategy for getting sleepers in another thread.  ;) Seriously though, it's currently harder than it should be right now.