Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: 2,5D Dwarf Fortress with 16bit Sprites?  (Read 20684 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: 2,5D Dwarf Fortress with 16bit Sprites?
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2008, 11:04:07 am »

Oh, yes, it can be done properly.  However, in those nice screenshots you realize that you're looking at MAYBE 15x15 tiles?  The original DF window with the map and menu on was bigger than that (15 by 23 or so).

Sure, you can show more information about a tile, but you lose the ability to show lots of tiles.

I think this could be worked around by the arcane hacker technique known as 'making the window bigger.'

Even when making the window bigger I can see more of what's going on with Vanilla DF on my 1024x768 screen than you can in iso-mode.

Look, you are just very subjective about this. Isometric would work perfectly, if visually it would be something like the old X-Com game. Sure, it wouldn't be that good in small resolutions like 1024x768, that is true.
Either way, it's pointless to argue about this, since 1. it's a matter of subjective opinion IE. "which display method do I like", 2. DF won't use isometric display anyway, I am almost sure about it. [Even if it will, that won't happen in the upcoming 2-4 years...by that time perhaps even you will use a bigger monitor.  ;)]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]