Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21

Author Topic: The Histories of Scarbasement  (Read 12938 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: The Histories of Scarbasement
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2008, 02:56:54 pm »

11th Opal, 201
Ast has gotten the depot up, and I must say that the white is more attractive than I had anticipated.  She has gone back to crafting stone, wanting to take a break from making block after block after block.  But we will need a lot of blocks in order to build our wall, so I think I'll give her a nudge in a few days, get her back to masonry.
I have also reassigned several dwarves, Litast, Kib and Kivish, to go gather more plants because I just realized that we have no food left.  And worse than that, I had to drink water today because we're out of drink!  This cannot be borne.  Ablel is excused as she is needed to dig out the farm for the cave wheat, but until further notice everyone else's priority is gathering food.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2008, 03:28:02 pm »

23rd Obsidian, 201
Winter is nearly over, according to our calendar, but it hasn't felt like winter.  It hasn't gotten cold enough for the water to freeze at all.  Indeed it has been rather balmy.  We have been able to collect plants for food, and now have a somewhat healthy supply.  Healthy enough to resume our protection projects, anyway. 
The farm underground is nearly carved out, but since we can't plant the cave wheat until summer, there is plenty of time for that.  I believe I'll ask Ablel to dig out an emplacement for a magma forge.  It will get Litast off my back for a while, and I can always change the digging priorities if something comes up.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Kanute

• Bay Watcher
  • Gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2008, 03:35:03 pm »

I'd be very happy if you could dwarf me. The kid would be nice, once he grows up, if at all possible.

I'd prefer the name Arnmod.

Any migrant would work, if you'd prefer.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2008, 09:57:24 pm »

3rd Granite, 202
I am quite proud of myself.  I took a long-needed break yesterday, and spent some time with Tholtig.  He hasn't spoken since his family's arrival last fall, except to his parents when no one else can hear him, in spite of the efforst the rest of us have made.  Indeed I and Libash are the only ones who still try.  But today when I addressed him, he finally responded!  He said "Arnmod" quite clearly when I greeted him.  At first I wasn't sure what he meant, so I asked him, and he replied "Call me Arnmod."  Odd.  I later asked Kib, and she said it was just a stage he was going through.  However, it seems that for now 'Arnmod' will only respond to that name, so I suppose we'll call him that for now.

On a separate note, On the following pages I've detailed the current status of our settlement, hopefully the situation will get better.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 09:02:48 am by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2008, 10:14:22 pm »

7th Granite, 202
I have managed to build a loom, after many false starts, and am in the process of weaving cloth from which to fasten chains.  I am also in the process of dismantling our wagon.  Some among our number, Kib and Kivish primarily, are beginning to grumble about sharing a single room between all ten of us, but at least we each have our own beds.  Carving out private bedrooms is on Ablel's list, but again, it isn't a high priority.
I've been hearing a lot more grumbling about the lack of a well, something I don't rightly understand since we have plenty of drinks.  I spoke to Litast, with whom I have become good friends, about it, and he says that it "jus' don' feel righ', livin' in a place wi' no well."  I suppose that is something else to add to the list of tasks.  It feels like we complete one task, only to find that ten or twenty more have taken its place.  But slowly, very slowly, these tunnels are becoming decent halls.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 09:03:00 am by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2008, 09:09:43 am »

13th Granite, 202
It seems we were right to fear the kobold's indiscretion, for today we have been beset by elves!  They claim to come to trade, but I am sure they are spying upon us.  I have heard strange tales about how they eat dwarves for breakfast and humans for lunch, literally!  I suppose we can see what those creatures consider worthy for trade to dwarves, but they will not venture any further into our settlement than the depot, how fortunate that we placed it just within the entrance.  But if the elves have arrived, then the goblins must not be very far behind.  I believe I will have Litast and Kivish start learning to wrestle, and I suppose I will have to join them, to set an example to everyone, for we must all be able to fight and defend our new home.  But first I must get rid of these...elves.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 10:25:22 am by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2008, 10:40:03 am »

24th Granite, 202
Hmph.  The elves brought food and wood, both of which I obtained with little difficulty, by trading the worst of Ast's crafts.  These elves are stupid, any dwarf could tell that these idols were made by a skill-less dwarf, and yet the elves seemed to think they were very good.  I must admit, it is nice to rip them off.  However, most of the goods the elves brought...was cloth.  Cloth!  Granted, I traded for a few pieces to make into bags, but who would want four bins of the stuff?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2008, 11:11:43 am »

1st Slate, 202
What a stroke of luck!  Three dwarves have arrived today, two of which hail from the Mountainhome!  One of them, Zuglar, claims to have heard Datan, goddess of mountains, speak to her in the days before the attack, urging her to flee to a safe haven.

"Of course," Zuglar said, self-importantly, "when a god or goddess chooses ter speak ter yer direc'ly, yer obey wi'out question.  The grea' an' mighty Datan instructed me ter take as many as would come, bu' on'y m' friend Thob, the weaver, listened an' heeded my words.  An' yer see wha' happened ter the others.  Dead!  Our halls pillaged an' burned, our civilization destroyed!"
"Our civilization isn't destroyed, as long as we live," muttered Durien.  "But how came you here?"
"Zu---" Thob began, but was interrupted by Zuglar.
"We found th' bowyer Vucar a few days journey from th' Mountainhome, where she was testin' th' crossbow she had just made.  An' fer a year an' a half we have wandered, never darin' ter settle anywhere fer fear o' th' goblins.  At th' en' o' th' past winter, Datan the gracious again spoke ter me, tellin' me of a place called Scarbasement ter th' northeast an' promisin' us a haven there, should we survive th' journey.  An' here we are.  So, where is Datan's temple, tha' we migh' make an offering in thanks fer our continued well-being?"

I am not sure that I believe Zuglar's claim of Datan's speaking to her, but it is true that they have managed to make their way safely here, so perhaps there is a grain of truth in her words.  Or perhaps they were merely very lucky.  It doesn't really matter.  What is more important is that Zuglar threw a fit when she was informed that far from having a temple dedicated to Datan, we didn't have any places of worship.  At all.  She proceeded to insist that we carve one out on the spot, and wouldn't listen to any of "excuses", as she called them.  I finally lost my temper, which takes some doing I must admit, and ordered her to shut up and learn to wrestle with Kivish, along with Vucar and Thob.
Before returning to the barracks to continue my own wrestling training, I found Litast and asked him to use some of the bones lying around to make us some basic armor, before continuing his training.  He protested that he could only make armor out of metal, but had to admit that armor was armor, and he was the best suited due to his training as an armorsmith.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2008, 11:21:55 am »

8th Slate, 202
Vucar was injured while sparring with Zuglar this afternoon.  Zuglar knocked her to the ground and she hit her head.  I'm not sure if it was done on purpose or not, but Vucar is on bed rest until she can recognize how many fingers I hold in front of her. She thought I was holding four when it was only two!  I have excused myself from training temporarily, in order to construct a bucket out of one of the logs the elves so kindly brought.  I also think I'll keep a closer eye on that Zuglar.  Dwarves who can hear the gods clearly aren't quite right in the head.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2008, 11:24:23 am »

9th Slate, 202
Well, Vucar is up and around again, it seems her head injury wasn't serious.  Maybe I'm just paranoid, seeing danger where none exists.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2008, 11:44:00 am »

18th Slate, 202
The elves finally left today!  I wonder why they stayed so long after the trading complete.  Did they honestly think that three weeks after the fact we would change our minds and decide that, oh dear we can't possibly do without those four bins of cloth?  No, more likely they are gathering as much information about us as possible, to decide when the best time would be to invite themselves for a meal.
I am glad that Kivish, Zuglar, Vucar and Thob have all become rather talented wrestlers, but I believe that it will be better to put them to work.  Vucar, in particular, can make us some crossbows, and then some of us can train as marksdwarves, for a better balance of military skills.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2008, 01:48:26 pm »

3rd Felsite, 202
I drafted Litast, Kib and Logem when I noticed that they were lazing around the dining area.  If they have time to be lazy, they have time to train.  Ablel has started digging out bedrooms, as ten beds for thirteen is a bit cramped.  Barely two steps into the new project, she has come across a carnelian cluster.  Although unpolished and uncut, they seem to glow with promise.  A new storage area will have to be dug deep within these caverns, where all of our hard-dug treasure will be kept safe.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 02:24:54 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2008, 01:55:01 pm »

3rd Hematite, 202
The hot and muggy summer has returned, and with it Kib has begun planting the few cave wheat seeds were obtained from the Kabcatten dwarves last fall.  Finally, the prospect of real beer instead of this tuber beer we have been drinking for months.
Vucar is making crossbows for us.  She considers them horribly crude, but they are better than nothing and good enough to train with.  Now all we need is bolts...  I believe I'll get Vucar to make those as well.  I'm sure she knows best how to make them to fit her crossbows.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2008, 02:16:52 pm »

15th Hematite, 202
The war dog we chained at the entrance of our tunnels startled a kobold out of hiding.  It got away before we could do much more than gape.  I'm going to station someone at the entrance to kill them before they leave.  One was bad enough but two...!  Now the likelihood that Tuxumstozu will find us has doubled.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2008, 02:18:07 pm »

16th Hematite, 202
We've drawn up a rough duty roster for the guarding of the entry.  So that there is always a dwarven guard at the post, we will stand guard in pairs, with each pair on duty for a month.  Logem and Zuglar have drawn the first shift.
No sooner did we decide the shifts, than I came across a second kobold just outside the entrance!  Needless to say I promptly attacked it and beat it to a bloody pulp.  Logem and Zuglar arrived just as the thing was breathing its last.  One less kobold to worry us, but the event underlines how necessary the new duty roster is.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 02:24:13 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21