Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Delayed Mechanism Actions/Sequence Abilities/Linking Pressure Plates to Levers  (Read 1257 times)

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello everyone. Today I have a few more triggering suggestions.

-Pressure-plates designated as "One-use-only" should have an available task for it called "reprogram" which lets them reprogram a pressure plate to link to another item. The mechanism in the device it was originally used for can now be reclaimed. (thus allowing for programmable computers of a sort)
-Levers should be able to link to Pressure Plates. The lever switches the states of a repeater pressure-plate around.
-Levers should be able to link to other levers. If B is attached to A, when A is flipped, B is flipped but when B is flipped, A isn't flipped unless B is linked to A. If A is linked to B and B is linked to C, when A is flipped, B would flip and so would C. If C were linked to A, then if one is flipped, all of them flip. Such a system would ease the creation of a mechanical adder/subtracter.
-Pressure Plates should be able to link to other pressure plates, using the same methods described. They should also be capable of linking to levers in similar fashion. However, unlike with multiple linked levers, pressure plates can only affect each other if the proper conditions are met...e.g. one could link all the traps to a single pressure plate, and link a series of other plates to the original plate, and the result would be as though the first plate were set off. However, if the subsequent plates used different pressure requirements, one could with traffic designations create a "maze" that would mean only by going through the correct path would a Dwarf not set off the trap. This would save on mechanisms considerably.
-The total amount of steps needed to perform an action (e.g. for a floodgate to open/close) should be available, with the ability to put a step delay in an action.

An example device would be an execution chamber, that has the following:
-A pressure plate 1 set to detect Magma at 7/7, Linked to Lever 2 and 3, and Floor and Roof Hatches; Initial value False
-A pressure plate 2 set to detect Magma at 0/7, Linked to Lever 2 and Floor Hatches; Initial value False
-Lever 1: Linked to Pressure Plate 1, floodgates, and a Roof hatch set to open after a step delay of 100.
-Lever 2: Linked to Pressure Plate 2;
-Lever 3: Linked to Pressure Plate 1;

When Lever 1 is switched, the floodgates close, and the roof hatch opens afterwards, and Presure Plate 1 is set to true. It drowns the area in magma until it's completely full, after which Pressure Plate 1 sends a signal to the floor hatches to open, the roof hatches to close, and Lever 2 to activate Pressure Plate 2, and to Lever 3 to flip, deactivating Pressure Plate 1. The magma drains through the hatches until Pressure Plate 2 reaches 0, after which the floor hatches close again, and the signal is sent to Lever 2 to deactivate pressure plate 1).

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like the idea of some expanded mechanics, but there's a limit. After all, the game isn't exactly designed with dwarven *computing* in mind...
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nothing you've described is impossible currently.  You need to create some logic gates, which take power, wood, and space, but I think that's entirely acceptable.  I don't think dwarven computing needs to get any easier; part of the appeal is that you can hack the system in unplanned ways to make a logic system.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It would improve efficiency in several regards to space and time, in that one would be in theory capable of using a lever as a storage state, and one would be able to more consistently calculate the timing it would take to drain an area rather than creating a separate timer elsewhere. Plus there are some cases where you just don't want to have your pressure plates go off (e.g. you need to capture a tantruming legendary dwarf and don't want him setting off your magma death chamber).

I know I could possibly build my magmacution chamber by having a separate 3x3 water tank that would trigger the roof hatches to open if the pressure was set properly, but that would have problems (e.g. a water pressure plate would continually retoggle, potentially screwing up the closing procedure for the magma), and this would eliminate some of the bugginess.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It doesn't sound like you're fully aware of what's been done with the current system, so here you go:

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Mechanical_logic
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:SL/Logic_Gates

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've already read what has been done with the current system, and I know I could do this system by creating separate water tanks of size equal to the magmacution chamber, set to pressure 7/7, but this eats up space, and is very clunky. The rate of water evaporation is entirely random, as is the rate of water to mist, and this results in precision loss that could create a scenario where we end up accidentally opening the hatches before the gates close properly. Additionally, assuming we're using doors to have water tank 1 drain into water tank 2, we're going to experience loss of water, and the inability to toggle the plates off means based on reset rate that these hatches are going to continue opening and closing.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not sure what exactly you think I'm suggesting you do, but based on what you've written it's pretty clear you haven't looked at the wiki articles I linked.

You can use the logic gates in either of my links (though the second one is easier to understand and implement) to make your magma chamber in a safe way.  I'm not going to map it out for you, but you pretty much just need AND and MEMORY gates, with maybe some NOTs thrown in.

Do you have any reason for these suggestions that's not just to make dwarf computers easier?  Because I don't think that's a priority.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had read it so please don't be snide...mkay? Part of why I was concerned was I made some weird assumption that so long as a pressure plate was kept full, it would constantly retoggle a door to open/close in an infinite loop...it was a logical misunderstanding.

Timers are in serious need of overhauling though, on account of reasons I have mentioned already. I could attempt to build several memory gates and have each one activate after the other, then clear afterwards...so...meh.